Author Topic: Wood Grips for R9?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline 72AV8R

Wood Grips for R9?
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »
I actually like the standard grips on my R9 Stealth...but I think it would also look very nice with a set  of checkered Ebony or Cocobolo grips.  Has anyone made or bought wood grips for their R9 and do you like them? My main concern is the skinny tang on the front of each side being a weak spot.  Since the one grip encases some of the trigger workings is hardwood a viable choice, or must we stick with the synthetics? I know there is enough experience on this forum to save me from wasting my time.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Wood Grips for R9?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »
If P7 comes back, he could answer your questions.  He's probably on asignment somewhere; excellent work!

OK...here is the first run of R9 grips in cocobolo. They are "ready for install". I.E. relieved on the back in the proper place and screw holes positioned and c-sunk.

These in cocobolo should hold up well based upon other types I have done in this wood. Its pretty hard stuff and due to the higher polish, they should be relatively impervious to sweat and moisture. I also think they will not have to be CA'd on tha back side for stiffness or protection from oils as long as they are not "soaked" in oils or solvents.

So without further ado...here ya go....(photos "left large" for detail)

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »

Not if but when.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
I knew I should have worded that differently!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
The tang you mention is the weak point and I know one member has made some wood grips and they have broken at that spot. But there is stabilized wood that is resin impregnated and is very strong and retains all of the wood character and polishes up to a beautiful finish. There is also the laminates that would work well.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »

Welcome, three holer.