Author Topic: Neck Knife - Need opinion  (Read 5634 times)

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
Neck Knife - Need opinion
« on: June 01, 2005, 07:24:36 PM »
IMHO, a good neck knife is more useful than a folded knife. For most encounters, a CCW gun is prefered. But in situations when you are being choked from behind, with no time to reach into the pocket and open up a folded knife needing two hands, a neck knife is a blessing. Since I am a jeans-and-untucked-T-Shirt guy, it should work fine. Is my logic screwed?

Here is a carbon fiber & TI knife that I would love to wear around my neck! It may even pass some metal detectors!

"Warren Thomas' Mini-tanto: The mini-tanto is one sweet little knife. The bullet-proof resin soaked wrap over stingray skin matched with the titanium/carbon fiber laminated blade combines the best of many worlds. Discreet and effective."

blade length 2.75"
handle length 2.75"
overall length 5.5"
blade width 0.1875"

blade 6AL4V Ti/carbon fiber  
handle carbon fiber
edge 6AL4V Ti/titanium carbide  
price $200  ===> (OUCH!)

I think this good looking knife would complement the handsome Rohrbaugh in my pocket perfectly!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 07:31:16 PM by cuteo100 »

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Neck Knife - Need opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:49:36 PM »
Make sure that whatever you hang the knife with will break if someone tries to choke you with it.  Usually that means breakaway ball chain, which compromises whatever nondetectability the knife has.

Speaking of nondetectability, if it has metal, the more sensitive settings on metal detectors will detect it, whether the metal is ferromagnetic or not.  Don't mess around with this anyplace where the consequences are greater than merely being asked to leave the property.  Essentially, this means that it if is illegal to carry the knife there, don't do it, but if it is legal and merely against the wishes of the (non-employer, non-client) property owner, that is a different story.

Keep in mind that some airports are now going to X-ray systems instead of metal detectors so even plastic weapons will be found.  Also keep in mind that there are ways to get caught with a plastic weapon even if only facing a metal detector, and I'm not going into any more detail on a public forum.

If you are in a struggle, any weapon suspended from your neck will bounce around and might not be where you expect it to be.  A thumb-opening folder will remain securely clipped to the top of your pocket and require only one hand to open, although they aren't entirely fumble-proof.

Neck knives certainly do have their merits but also their limitations.  Be aware of both.

That is a VERY nice knife, but I generally hate to pay more for a knife than I would for a North American Arms mini-revolver without a very good reason why that knife offers a specific feature making it worthwhile.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 11:01:37 PM »
Some very good advice. an airport is a bad place to have a problem with a weapon....
RJ=

Offline alfonso2501

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:15:58 PM »
I use to be a bus driver and when I started working in some of the bad neighborhoods I started carrying an Emerson La-Griffe either hung around my neck under a sweater or tucked in a shirt pocket behind a pack of cigarettes ready for a left hand draw. I still keep it in my night table. While it’s not as hi-tech & exotic as that tanto above it’s a good little blade if you could get passed how ugly it looks:
http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html
http://www.kwoon.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83416

That second one is some French forum but scroll down a little & it’ll show you how small it looks in hand.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:45:01 PM »
Amen to that, RJ!  

I recall once changing planes in a certin airport (not here to be named) in the Middle East a few years ago when one poor soul ahead of me in line and dressed in a flowing caftan apparently triggered the magnatometer alarm.  He was immediately pulled aside, hand searched, and stripped down to his skivvies in plain view of the rest of the passengers.  When that revealed no weapon, he was frog-marched off behind a curtain for a body-cavity search.  I recall that he kept shouting someting about having a metal plate imbedded in his leg, but that didn't seem to have much of an effect on what passed for the local security guards.  He had not returned to the boarding lounge when the flight was finally called.

"Welcome to the new age of air travel."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »
I don't believe that Cuteo was suggesting breaking laws by smuggling a knife into a secure area -- I think he was just spitballing.

Obviously, there can be no discussion of methods to accomplish legal activity on this board.  Here, I think the advice is DON'T EVER try it and it probably won't work anyway.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »
Found some cool "go anywhere" defensive tools:

http://www.ndsproducts.com/blackie.html
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 06:17:46 PM »
I was refering to the carbon fibre's non-metalic characteristics for I wouldn't dream of taking it close to the airports or any sensitive places. My apology for raising concerns. Thanks all for your advises.

The more I think about it, the more the folded knifes option is attractive as better backup CCW for several reasons:

1. Smaller sizes
2. Better concealment in the pocket
3. It can be opened fast with one hand (with practice!)

But there is a major problem: TOO MANY CHOICES!!!! Currently, my top pick is the Benchmade 910 Striker:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/model_lgshot.asp?model=910

Blade Length: 3.70"
Blade Thickness: 0.120"
Blade Material: 154CM or M2 Tool Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-60 for 154CM or 60-62 for M2
Blade Style: Tanto
Weight: 3.80oz.
Clip: Black Stainless Steel
Lock Mechanism: Modified Locking-Liner
Overall Length: 8.25"
Closed Length: 4.68"
Sheath Material: Sold Separately
Class: Black
MSRPl: $130 to $150 (can
"An angular approach leads to blade geometry of monolithic proportion, and the Tanto is perhaps a misunderstood overachiever in efficiencies of cutting, too. Titanium liners up the ante in the patented modified locking-liner system. Ponder your options with a prodigy of cutting performance in the knife world."

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 08:19:27 PM »
Some problems with neck knives:

1) You want to conceal it, the chain shows, but no big deal. (Already mentioned above)

2) Use a breakaway hanging method. If not, the bad guy can jerk your around like you were wearing a necktie, or is it a noose. (Already mentioned above.)

3) School teachers know from experience that kids can and do grab anything hanging around your neck. So they might get the knife.

4) Can you reach it?  If it's hanging beneath your shirt, you may have to dress to the neck knife's limitations in order to access it quickly.

5) It swings. It is not always in the same place for reliable access.

6) No hilt or good handle. If you hit bone, your hand will slide forward and be cut. (CSI loves this story line. They always find the Perp.)

7) Small. Wont cut deep. (But hey, if you have been grabbed even a 22 short or a neck knife is better than nothing.)

8.) It is still a concealed weapon. In many states, a knife must not only be within certain size and design limitations, but it must conceivably have a use as a tool that justifies it's carry, like a pocket knife.

Some Alternatives:

a) Be alert to people and positions.

b) Carry a key chain pepper spray that fits easily into your pocket.  Make it a habit to carry your keys, with spray ready, in your left (weak) hand when you exit your home, car, restaurant, anywhere.

c) Legal size, assisted-open (also legal) pocket knife clipped to your right (strong) side. (Google on Kershaw Speedsafe Blur.)

d) Your defense distance, without pulling your gun, is now 8 feet (spray a cloud in his face). And, you can pull knife or gun as appropriate or reachable. For example, R9 or even closed (assisted-open) knife hidden in right hand as suspects approach.

e) If you are surprised and grabbed with at least one hand free, you can spray, knife or shoot.  

f) However, speaking to strangers from a respectable 8 foot New England distance is good advice.  It’s no social mistake to move  away and to the side to maintain that distance.  If they follow, they have tipped their hand.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 12:15:59 AM by gr8guns »