Author Topic: Gun Tests pans R9s  (Read 23217 times)

Offline FJC

• Expert
Gun Tests pans R9s
« on: July 21, 2004, 08:58:11 PM »
I'm hearing that Gun Tests magazine did a comparison review of the R9s to the Kahr PM9, and resoundly picks the PM9.  I don't subscribe to Gun Tests, but word on some others boards is that they are claiming the R9 is very finicky with ammo, and was doing a lot of keyholing.

That doesn't match up what I've been hearing from actual owners...anyone who has one already finding it finicky about ammo?  Any keyholing?
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Re: Gun Tests pans R9s
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:19:02 PM »
A Pair of Tiny Pocket 9mms: We Pick the PM9 Over the R9s
Kahr’s product was by “fahr” a better carry gun than Rohrbaugh’s R9s, in our estimation.
THR link:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=ed4f7730e5a5d2f1aeb88898359195c4&threadid=92874&highlight=gun+and+tests

EDITED by DDGATOR:

Sorry, Justin.  I do appreciate the effort, but after consultation with my Intellectual Property counsel, I decided I couldn't let the verbatim text of the article remain here due to copyright concerns.  I don't need the "cease and desist" letter!

ADDED:
No problem Duane.  I was a little hesitant to post it anyway.  No explanation needed.  You are no glocktalk-nazi.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 11:29:01 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:29:44 PM »
Yikes! That's not a very good review at all.   :-[  Looks like the Rohrbaugh is batting .500 in gun mags so far.  ???  For what it's worth I've never had a keyhole in close to 500 rounds from the Rohrbaugh, and I also don't understand why the test piece only had one magazine, I believe they come with two mags from the factory.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 10:36:53 PM »
I have never liked Gun Test Magazine, I think they are just one man's opinion..  The idea of them buying all their test items, so as not to be beholden to anyone, is slightly askew. IMHO
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 10:42:46 PM »
Thanks, Justin.   This will generate a lot of comments.  

The authors seem somewhat uninformed to me... but... I leave it to others to comment.

Why do they say (several times) that the R-9 only comes with 1 magazine?  Did they get ripped off?  ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 10:45:40 PM »
Notice they only seemed to have issues with ammo that they even admit wasn't appropriate for the pistol...and no problems (feeding or with keyholing) with more appropriate ammo like the Gold Dots.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 10:47:20 PM »
and I also don't understand why the test piece only had one magazine, I believe they come with two mags from the factory.

Maybe they bought their sample from Long Island Shooting Center:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976468090.htm
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 10:50:54 PM »
The gun test weights:
PM9 - 16.4 oz.
R9S - 13.4 oz.

Published weights on mfg. websites:
PM9 - 15.9 oz.
R9S - 14.3 oz.

hmmmmm

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:58:01 PM »
That review is about the most lengthy piece of self-aggrandizing drivel I have read lately.  I have nothing aginst Kahr, which is involved with the manufacture of the NAA Guardians.  (And I have carried Guardians for years.)  But that Gun Test reviewer missed the mark with his article as widely as he apparently did when trying to fire the Rohrbaugh.  

As an old trial lawyer, I wonder what his motive might have been.

As for myself . . . in my seventh decade of life, and having been in harm's way on two continents . . . I testify as follows:  My R9s has never malfunctioned.  It shoots tight groups.  The recoil is entirely manageable, especially after familiarization.  It has digested every type of quality 9mm ammunition I have found to feed it.  I intend to carry it for the rest of my life and leave it to whichever heir has most impressed me at the time I execute the final codicil to my Last Will and Testament.

Further, Deponent sayeth not.

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 11:15:49 PM »
And by the way, my Rohrabaugh doesn't "keyhole," as was implied by that Gun Test review.  I shall be surprised if any of the other Rphrbaughs do either.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 11:21:33 PM »
"We could not reject it outright, we felt, because some of our test shooters liked it slightly more than the Kahr"

Then why did Gun Test prefer the Kahr?  I own both and       in my opinion the Rohrbaugh has a better trigger and is much more reliable (my PM9 needed stronger springs and then made a trip back to Mass and still sometimes needs a little help returning fully to battery).

The article makes it appear that the Rohrbaugh is only slightly easier to pocket carry.  To me there is a huge difference in the size when I have it in my pocket.  I don't know what the measurements are but anyone who has compared both in their pocket has to agree that there is a HUGE difference.  I think the PM9 carries more like my Glock 27.  The Rohrbaugh carries more like my Keltec P3-AT.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 11:37:09 PM »
Murray:

You asked:  "Then why did Gun Test prefer the Kahr?"  

Good question.    

In the immortal words of the late, great George Burns, I should say, "Good night."

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Bandit

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 12:35:37 AM »
thanks for posting that justin!  now i don't have to sign up for a 14-day free trial period (hee hee)

that writer did bring up one point that i never would have thought of which is not subject to bias.....what about clearing a jam?  those make me nervous whenever they happen on any gun, but on a tightly fitted gun with a strong recoil spring and no slide lock....how do you guys feel about that?

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 12:45:43 AM »
Justin, thanks very much for posting the article!  

I think it's possible the author for Gun Tests is one of those folks who just prefers the Kahr's trigger to the Rohrbaugh's. There's no denying Kahr triggers feel very different from the Rohrbaugh's trigger, which is more like a very well tuned revolver's long double action.  

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 01:02:10 AM »
 Richard_S

ME ,Me, me !!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:03:42 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=