Author Topic: Jammed while racking the slide  (Read 8609 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Jammed while racking the slide
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »
tracker, I am happy that 747 is running good. It might be the over all length that is the problem. I wonder if the bbl could be throated or polished a little more.  take care, Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
That is a good thought,Tom; almost all of my other
pistol inventory have had their throats polished.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 04:20:57 PM »
Fired my R9S for the first time on Saturday.  Shot 250 rounds  of Remington UMC 115gr and 40 rounds of Speer Golddot 124gr without any failures.  The recoil was not as bad as I expected.  The only thing that did happen was toward the end when my hand was getting tired and my palms were a little sweaty, I didn't rack the slide back far enough because my hand slipped and the round got stuck with the slide open.  This happened twice and I attributed both times to not pulling the slide back far enough.  I don't consider this a design flaw, I consider it user error.  Overall I am very happy with the gun.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Good to hear Po-Pee but - lotta ammo all in one hit with no cleaning!!  Or did you?  

Surprised (no, impressed! :) ) you managed that much before hand said ''ouch'' - I have big and fairly tough hands but that'd be more than I'd want in one session!  :o

True enough - sweat and poorer grip could well lead to inadequate slide op' - I am thinking of adding two small strips of grip tape to front and rear of grip frame for my carry R9.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 06:19:42 PM »
Update: I was the one who started this thread with all the jamms. I now started using Militec-1 oil on the throat area. Rubbed it on good, let the gun get hot (heat lamp), then wiped clean. Repeated the process 3 times. The throat area is now as smooth as butter! AND I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY MORE JAMMS! NONE!

I agree that polishing the throat is the answer. As I have stated before, I fully racked the slide when it was jamming bad.

Cheers!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 07:59:48 PM »
Great news and an excellent example of the benefits of
this forum and the collaborative thoughts of kindred spirits.

It also might be a good heads-up for the rest of us to polish that throat a bit; I know I will.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »
My Gunsmith advises to use "Flitz" on a felt bob[dremel]
3/8" by 1/2" and to take it slow and easy in polishing
the throat.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 05:26:09 PM »
Tracker - I have used - I think I remember name properly - ''Simichrome'' - using same Dremel mop.  For even finer abrasive effect - a std (not the fansy-pansy) simple white toothpaste. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »
"Simichrome", it is; I found a tube in the drawer and I
will use it instead of Flitz. Thanks.

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 11:27:58 PM »
Update: Almost two months later... the gun never jammed or failed to feed again. It was the polishing/buffing of the throat area and switching to Militec-1 that did the trick.

There seems to be a lot of failed to feed posts lately. I say carefully polish the barrel's throat and see if it will help.

Cheers!

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005, 01:25:27 AM »
It is interesting to me that if polishing the throat is such a great way to avoid jams, why it doesn't come from the factory with the throat highly polished.  It seems that this would be easy for the factory to do.

Anyone know an answer to this?
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 12:28:50 PM »
Well, this is interesting. In my short range session today, twelve GD 124s, the session was cut short as the third mag feeding did not go well; The rnd jammed tightly into the feed ramp. The next five or six attempts resulted in exactly the same problem. I was thinking I had something unique to my habits, etc., but, no, it is something I have not experienced with any of my Glocks, Colts, Sigs, etc.

I am going to dissemble the beastie and look at that feed ramp. Funny thing is, the gun shot two mags full w/o a hiccough. It is, like the original post stated, happening only as I try to rack one in after reloading.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 10:13:53 AM »
After cleaning and minor polishing (not quite mirror-smooth, yet), the rounds slip up and into the breech without any hesitation.

I'm going to be on the look-out for that Miltec-1 and will do the 'roasting' procedure to that ramp.

I have not fired the gin since, but, feeding with recoil was not a problem- it was just the reloading that produced those jams.

To the probable cause list- ramp angle, slight cross-wise machining marks, I'd add the composition of the bullet. RN in my 1911s always fed reliably as the HPs would usually be the problematic rnds.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 10:34:05 AM »
Skyhook,

Militec  will gladly send you a free sample of the oil, and grease too.  Just apply it, and heat with wife's hair dryer.

http://www.militec-1.com/

Do a "Contact Us", and send them an email requesting a free sample of oil and grease.

It is commonly done.  I think they ship pretty fast.

I purchased a bottle after getting my free sample.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:10:53 PM by Michigunner »

Offline HiCap

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 10:05:13 AM »
I had the same problem with racking the first round from a magazine into the chamber with Silvertips and solved the problem very easily with a more aggressive slingshot of the slide rather than just pulling it back to let it go forward.  What I do is the same time I pull the slide back and let it go I push the gun forward and down to get a better snap.  It hasn't failed once.  And of course, after every so many rounds, clean the ramp.

HiCap