Author Topic: Cracked R-9S Slide  (Read 31076 times)

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
Cracked R-9S Slide
« on: October 03, 2005, 11:21:56 AM »
Well, my new R-9S is going back to Rohrbaugh.

Bought just 12 days ago and shot exactly twice, 100 rounds the first time and 50 rounds day before yesterday, ALL of it factory 115gr regular (non+P), with assiduous cleaning and relubrication afterwards according to factory recommendations, with SuperLube, and I noticed a crack on cleaning two days ago on reassembly, oriented fore-and-aft on the left rear of the slide, overlying the grasping grooves and extending around slightly to the rear of the slide.
It's definitely a fissure in the steel, NOT a scratch.
Sorry I can't provide pics, but I don't currently have a digital camera.

Disapponting in a brand new $1K gun, to say the least, not to mention the FTFs I've continued to have.
I'll be calling Rohrbaugh today.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Erich

• Expert
Re: Cracked R-9S Slide
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 01:11:23 PM »
Wow, that's terrible! I'm sure Karl & Co. will have a new slide out to you pronto.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:48:51 PM »
That's shocking news, SAWBONES.  It's a real disappointment.  

Failures can happen anytime, but we don't want our $1000 pistol to have a single defect.

I know they will take care of it.  It's hard to beat the lifetime guarantee for the original purchaser.

Bill

« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:04:54 PM by Michigunner »

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:11:02 PM »
I talked to Maria, and I'll be sending the pistol back to Rohrbaugh today, with a letter describing the problems, including the cracked slide and the FTFs.

I'll post again about it when I receive the pistol back and have a chance to shoot it again.

I hope they'll make it right.
I recognize that any product can have a rare flaw and that even the best manufacturers occasionally produce a "lemon", but it should be very rare with a pistol that cost $999!  It'll be the company's response to an owner problem like this that will tell how serious they are about quality control and customer satisfaction.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:11:38 PM by SAWBONES »
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 06:13:19 PM »
SAWBONES,

Sorry to hear of your problems!! :(

I have not had to utilize the customer service of the Rohrbaugh's as yet,but I understand they are very good and will take care of any problem that you have experienced..

I too-expect nothing but the best from these pups,and I know that you will be taken care of...

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 07:32:15 PM »
SAWBONES:

That's a real "bummer"!

O'Brian's Law holds that Murphy's Law is flawed by irrational exuberance.  I am a believer in O'Brian's Law.

However, I am certain that the Brothers Rohrbaugh will make your pistol what it was meant to be.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:35:55 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »
Terrible news for sure, and we all sympathsize as it could happen to anyone here.
I just know that you will get the best care that company can offer. That's the best I can do for you now. I know words are not going to help, and you will be without your R9 for a while, but it will be better than new when you recieve it back.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:48:46 PM »
Wow! $67 just to send a gun by UPS overnight from UT to NY.

It's been awhile since I had to overnight ship any guns, but last time it was $39-something, I think. ::)
Humani nihil alienum

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 10:35:41 PM »
Sawbones
Sorry about the slide - I'm sure they will take care of you.  I think that is the third cracked slide post I've noticed.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1120340669

There was another if I remember correctly where someone posted pictures of the crack.  I looked but could not find it.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 10:40:26 PM »
I stand to be corrected - you are the second.  The previous posted site used to have pictues of the cracked slide but they are not there anymore.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline LCP

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »
Given the condition of the pistol I would think that Rohrbaugh should pay shipping costs in both directions.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 03:28:13 PM »
Given the condition of the pistol I would think that Rohrbaugh should pay shipping costs in both directions.

I agree.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 08:27:56 PM »
I'll ask about reimbursement for the shipping costs, and I do agree that a brand new little $1K pistol should not cost its new owner such trouble and financial expense.

Maria didn't offer to send a UPS or FedEx pickup, and I didn't ask, but I was surprised to find how expensive it was!

I'm more concerned, though, that the pistol WORKS RELIABLY when I get it back, and that the point of impact-point of aim correspondence isn't ruined with any replacement parts (slide, barrel, etc.) I get.

As I hear more, I'll post about it.
Thanks everyone for your supportive comments.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 09:26:25 PM »
Very concerning indeed and regretable.

The main thing I hope that will come out of this is a metallurgical analysis on said slide so as to try and determine the cause.  Only then can corrective measures be taken.

I will anticipate hopefully some info feedback in this vein over time - I never did like ''mystery'' failures.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:08 PM »
Chris
What bothers me is the thread I referenced above on another slide crack where I believe the crack was in the same general area - too bad the pictures are no longer there.  It is very thin where the slide rail groove is.

My R9 is being shipped to Tom this week and I agree about things like this being a concern.

Is it my imagination or have the reports of failure to feed increased greatly since the factory move.
Dave