Author Topic: How many rounds before cleaning is needed?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline ESQ_NY

How many rounds before cleaning is needed?
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »
Hi Everyone:  this is my first post on this site.  After considering the purchase of an R9 for a year now, I finally gave in and own an R9s.  I hope to see how this weapon actually fires some time this weekend.  I was wondering how many rounds should be put through this gun before it should be cleaned?  Thanks.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: How many rounds before cleaning is needed?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:45:01 PM »
ESQ_NY, welcome to the forum.   I hope you will return often and enjoy the good friends here.

I seem to recall that there should be 50-80 rounds between cleanings,  and also replace the firing spring after 500 rounds.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:49:09 PM by Michigunner »

Offline ESQ_NY

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:55:05 PM »
Bill, thank you for the welcome and the quick reply.  I will put 50 rounds through my R9 and then clean it.  I am curious to see how this gun performs.  I want to replace my S&W 340PD as my daily carry, but I fist need to gain some confidence with the reliability and accuracy of this gun.  

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
Welcome aboard, counselor, and hope you like your new pistol! :)

I find that I start to have problems if I go beyond 75 rounds . . . just because the pistol is so tightly built that there's nowhere for the crud that comes with shooting to go.

That said, I've fired the gun (IIRC) as many as 130 rounds before cleaning, and found that I just started getting more and more jams as I got beyond 75 rounds.

50 rounds is a good number - a quick cleaning is all it needs if you want to keep firing at the range. (Rohrbaughs are so highly polished that they're very easy to clean - a mere wipe-down with a solvent-soaked patch usually removes all the crud from mine.) And, of course, clean it every time you fire it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new pistol!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 05:00:48 PM by Erich »

Offline ESQ_NY

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 05:13:03 PM »
Erich thanks for the welcome.  Have you ever experienced any type of failure with the first 7 rounds out of the R9, after it is cleaned?  I am curious if the reliability is almost perfect when the gun is perfectly clean.  The thing I like about my 340pd is that it weighs only 12 ounces and has never once failed to shoot when I pulled the trigger.  I am realistic and cannot expect 100% reliability with a semi-automatic, but I want 99% reliability with the first 7 rounds after a cleaning.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »
ESQ_NY:

Welcome to the Forum.  I have one of the early R9s.  It has not malfunctioned in the 18 months or so I have had it ( here insert the sound of knocking on wood).  As for cleaning, I agree with Bill's and Erich's comments above.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:32:10 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
If my gun is clean, it works perfectly. Provided that it's gripped properly - something of a concern with this not-for-beginners pistol.

I know what you're saying, because I've worried about it, too (that sort of OCD can drive you nuts!). I feel confident that the gun will work 100% (if I hold it properly) with those first rounds because I've seen that they work, again and again after cleanings.

My gun had 550 rounds through it (though it recently had to go back because it was one of 4 - of about 1k pistols sold - that have developed slide cracks), so I have a decent number of cleanings/perfect-firings-thereafter to back up my observations.

The advantage your 340 has compared to the R9s, of course, is that it IS probably more reliable, just because it will fire again and again no matter how you grip it. The disadvantages are that it only holds 5 rounds and that it's somewhat more bulky and thus more difficult to conceal.

Frankly, I don't think I'll every give up my small revolvers, but I find I carry the R9s a whole lot in the summer and when I'm dressed in court clothes.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »
ESQ_NY

Welcome to the forum and to the pup!! ;D

I stick to the 50 or so rule on cleaning and re-lubing regimen!!

I have found the lube part to be the main factor in my experience with function..

I trust mine right after a clean job,but I also trust it after shooting 2 mags worth and tucking it back in my pocket.. ;)

I do not shoot many rounds out of the pup at a time,if I shoot 4 mags worth it is a lot for me.. :)

I shoot a lot of rounds from my other handguns,I just don't feel the need to do so with the pup..

2 of mine that I have shot have been very reliable for me,and a joy to have with me.. 8)

The small "Centennial" revolvers are most likely more reliable,but for pocket carry I like the semi.

Once again-Welcome..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe