Author Topic: mmQuestion about R9s  (Read 5744 times)

Offline FB3

mmQuestion about R9s
« on: December 25, 2005, 12:40:08 PM »
I just joined this forum, and already find it very informative and interesting.  I have been shooting most of my life, and have numerous handguns and long guns.  1911's comprise most of the pistols with a few others mixed in.

I am seriously considering acquiring a R-9s for pocket carry.  I presently have a Seecamp 380, which is a wonderfully made pistol, and usually carry a S&W 642 in my front pocket.  

I have never seen nor handled the R-9, nor have I found any size comparison between it and the Seecamp.  Anyone have any data on this?
Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline Erich

• Expert
Re: mmQuestion about R9s
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 01:09:08 PM »
Welcome aboard!

And merry Christmas!

A forum member has prepared a great pdf chart that shows the R9s in comparison to a whole bunch of other guns, including the Seecamps. I'm sure someone will post a link, but if you google "Rohrbaugh FAQ" you can find it there.

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 03:27:08 PM »
FB3:

Welcome to the Forum.  Here is a link to the excellent FAQ site which Chris ("R9SCarry") has prepared for us:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/

As for the first time handling one of the R9s, I found it to be an instantly addictive experience.  IMNSHO, the Rohrbaugh design is destined to become a classic -- right up there with Colt's 1911 pistol, Winchester's 1894 carbine, Remington's 1100 shotgun, and Smith & Wesson's 1st Model Hand Ejector "Triple Lock" revolver.  

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 09:09:37 PM »
FB3 - welcome from me too :) And a Merry Xmas.

Indeed as my friend Richard mentions do browse the FAQ site (link in my sig too).  In fact one page there will link you to the pistol comparison chart larger version - which currently resides on Mouseguns.com.

Do read up all you can - see the odd things where there have been problems too - some of those have been addressed in my FAQ as well.

This way you should have a balanced appraisal.

It was interesting - I answered a PM today on another board from a guy who is busting to get an R9 and I told him a lot plus stearing him to the FAQ - he was not in the least phased by the odd troubles a few folks had - as he said ''Heck, even 1911's, and top end ones too - probably only go 95% perfect out the box''!!!

Well - one way to look at it!  I take that to mean that he is someone who, if he were to have any problem pretty much knows it will be addressed and dealt with.  As we know, Rohrbaugh is A1 with customer service, as long that is that someone has not done anything crazy with the gun.

Eric described one he had not long ago which was filthy beyond description and had it seemed been fed homeloads! ::)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
mmQuestion about R9s
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 02:13:50 AM »
>>Hi FB3, and I too would like to welcome you here.  Dig through the achieves and you will probably find answers to most all questions you might come up with outside of just being hands on with the gun.

BTW...I like your choice in guns.  One of these days I hope to acquire a Seecamp .380 myself...TW<<

Offline matthew

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 10:31:53 AM »
welcome to the board!!! and Merry Christmas!!!! I have just joined the board as well.  But, a little different than you I had the opportunity to handle a r9s.  Well, that's good and bad.  The good is it's a well built firearm, and as one of the posters said i will agree it is a classic design.  The bad is be prepared to pay for it once you handle it because you will not be able to let the sales rep put it back under the counter.  These pups have a way of molding themselves to you hand in a matter of seconds.  I love mine and I know if you have a love for fine firearms and it sound like you do than you will love the little pup.  Good luck!!!!
Our dreams are a gift from God, what we do with them is our gift back.

Offline FB3

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 11:05:49 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome and the replies.  I have been doing a fair amount of browsing on this forum and have already learned quite a bit about this pistol.  

I fully agree that one cannot expect 100% perfection from any product.  All I expect is very good initial quality and good customer service should it be required.

Knowing myself, I am almost certain that I will end up with one of these little guns.  Looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the information.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:08:04 AM by FB3 »
Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 12:33:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum, FB3.  Glad you are here.

I know you will enjoy the R9S.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »
FB3
Welcome and post often.  You are lucky to have a LWS 380 - I have a few LWS 32s and am waiting on the LWS 380.

Speaking of the R9 - I like many have two of them.  Would never have gotten the second if I had any reservations on the gun - or "pup" as Chris has named it.

Matthew
Welcome aboard.  

If you both have been reading along you have found that this is a special group of people.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 01:00:41 AM »
FB3,

Welcome to the forum!!

Once you do the the Pup-you will never give it up!! ;)

Lurk no more..

I think there is a Farmingdale FS on the board!! ;) ;D

Once again,Welcome..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 10:39:13 AM »
FB3 welcome to the forum. Have fun posting and sitting around the camp fire.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline jsw4178

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »
Hi everyone from the newest member! I am about to purchase a R-9s this week. Should I look for a particular Serial # or series? I will be using this as an on duty LEO back up .
Scott

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 03:55:19 AM »
I don't understand your question.

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 05:38:56 AM »
Welcome.

I have a R9S and a LWS380 and would be happy to address questions about them. Yes, the Seecamp is smaller...as is the caliber.

Welcome home