Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Grips now available.  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Corvette

• Expert
Re: Carbon Fiber Grips now available.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
Just sent you an email Curt, count me in.  

I now have a pair of Rohrbaugh aluminum grips on my R9s and they have work fine on my gun for over 400 rounds.  

I will post them on the forum for sale when I get my gloss CF's.

Thanks for the work on this.

You're very welcome.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
Is there a thread someone can refer me to that discusses the merits of different grip materials? I have never had CF grips and I am enticed by the mystique that seems to surround them...

Thanks,
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
Some people just do not like the G-10 grips, the CFs feel better in your hand and seem to offer a good grip even when your hans are swaety. As for the mystique that is more connected with the Original Rohrbaugh CFs that are very hard to come by and sport the Rohrbaugh logo. The grips being offered are copys and are going to be a cast product were the origginal CFs appear to have been cut from a sheet of carbon fiber and machined to shape. Hope this helps.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
Well hopefully Rohrbaugh picks up on this and notices the quality that seems to be represented with this manufacturer.  I like the fact that they are molded rather than cut out of a flat sheet.  Hopefully you can get the logo put on and also get some needed checkering for an improved grip for daily use and not just looks, then I would gladly make a purchase.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
Has the manufacturer asked Rohrbaugh what would be involved in getting a license to add the logo?  Maybe they could be produced for Rohrbaugh and sold through them.  That would, of course, add some cost but it would make me feel better about using them.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Corvette

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
Has the manufacturer asked Rohrbaugh what would be involved in getting a license to add the logo?  Maybe they could be produced for Rohrbaugh and sold through them.  That would, of course, add some cost but it would make me feel better about using them.

Not at this time.
But it's certainly something he might want to consider.  

Offline Sigquick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:30 PM »
Of all the carbon fibers I have seen, there has never been a Rohrbaugh logo. The grip holes on most are not perfectly machined, leaving me to think carbon fiber might be difficult to etch into smoothly. If anyone has carbons with logo post a picture.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
Two points:

If machining of CF is tricky, will it be possible to accurately machine the inner surfaces?

What about inserting a Rohrbaugh medallion into a CF grip?

James

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Of all the carbon fibers I have seen, there has never been a Rohrbaugh logo. The grip holes on most are not perfectly machined, leaving me to think carbon fiber might be difficult to etch into smoothly. If anyone has carbons with logo post a picture.

I've had my hands on 6 different sets of orginal Blue's and 2 sets of orginal Black's and all of them had the Rohrbaugh logo on them.  My bet is that every set you have seen had the logo and you just did not notice it.

Here is a link with LOTS more logo's to look at! http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1201968324;start=

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:38:27 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »
As Curt stated the maker of the grips uses a two part mold , one is the front of the grip the other is the back each with the details of that side, so the recess and pin locating holes are molded in and not machined. A medallion a dime one of your teeth most anything that is not too thick could be put into the mold. I'm only saying it can be done not speaking for the maker that he would be willing to do it.
John

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
As Cory said, they all have the logo.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
I think he was referring to a medallion like Colt - S&W - Ruger etc.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
A nice brass or sterling logo like Colt would be sooooooo cool.

Offline Sigquick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
Ccoorreeyy,

I stand corrected. I even had to pull up my own pics and they are on there, they just don't stand out as much as on the newer plain grips, but they are there. Guess my eyes get lost in the carbon design.

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:39 AM »
I think that many would buy the grips without the logo if there was an option.  They don't stand out and in the end they are cleaner without the logo and will be cheaper to produce to boot.