Author Topic: Non-Scientific Ammo Test  (Read 29982 times)

Offline Marine Ordnance

• NRA Benefactor Life Member
Non-Scientific Ammo Test
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

I thought I would pass on a small bit of information on some ammo I recently ran through my R9.

Instead of clogging up the bandwidth on this forum I added the info and pictures on my website http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Rohrbaugh.htm

Hope this info may answer some questions.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:41:16 PM by Marine_Ordnance »
Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
Re: Non-Scientific Ammo Test
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
Marine Ord,

Good report.  Thanks for sharing.  I couldn't agree more with your comment about spending $1200 on a pistol
and then "nickel and diming" on ammo.   :)

Now, having said that I find that WWB Q4172, 115 gr. functions perfectly in my Pup for "playing" at the range.  The Speer Gold Dot 115 grain, which is my carry ammo, has also been 100%.  Oh, and BTW welcome to the forum.   :)

Regards, Quiet1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
Marine Ordnance:

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for that excellent report! Verrrrrry interesting . . . .
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:45:36 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »
Hi Folks,

I thought I would pass on a small bit of information on some ammo I recently ran through my R9.

Instead of clogging up the bandwidth on this forum I added the info and pictures on my website http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Rohrbaugh.htm

Marine Ordnance.  Thanks for the report.  Good information.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
Nice report and some really cool looking pens on your website!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »
Marine ord, thanks for the very good range report and welcome to the forum and pup ownership.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline musicman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »
Hi Folks,

Hi Marine,

Thank you for this information... I found it very interesting.  

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the Hornady Primer problem...  As i use these...i have never had a single problem with this misfireing or anything like that.  

BUT - are you saying that these rounds have the potential to damage the weapon ?  Please explain what you mean here...

"The primers on the fired cases are flat and the firing pin strikes are more than flat - they are actually scrapped across the surface of the primer.  I only fired five rounds as I did not like what I was seeing."

Tks!

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
I saw the same thing, even posted pictures of it awhile back.  Some of the primer metal ended up in the lock mechanism and prevented the slide from moving.

Offline Marine Ordnance

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
"I was wondering if you could elaborate on the Hornady Primer problem...  As I use these...I have never had a single problem with this misfiring or anything like that.  

BUT - are you saying that these rounds have the potential to damage the weapon ?  Please explain what you mean here... "

Hello Musicman,

The Hornady CD ammo shows definite signs of high pressure in my R9 - I cannot say nor do I know for a fact that these signs and/or misfires will occur in other R9's.   My intent was to let others know what I experienced.

If you will look at the close-up picture, there are four fired cases (all Hornady CD 115gr FTX) and the normal indentation produced by the firing pin strike is not there.  The 'indentations' are actually flat and the primer metal has partially flowed back into the hole in the face of the slide. http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Rohrbaugh.htm  One of these days I will figure out how to post a picture.

I would be happy to mail a fired case to a member here that has the technical expertise to evaluate when I am trying to describe.  I am not qualified to say that what I experienced can cause damage.  I do know that signs of high pressure are not to be fooled with.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:30:57 PM by Marine_Ordnance »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
What is the connection with light primer strikes to the possibility of high pressure?

Offline Marine Ordnance

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
There is no connection that I know of with a light strike & high pressure.  If a light strike fails to cause ignition then you don't have to worry about high pressure.

As I mentioned earlier the only ammo I had problems with misfires is with the Critical Defense brand.  None of the other two brands of personal defense ammo nor the FMJ types I tested since purchasing my R9 had any problem with ingnition.

I have no idea what make the primers are in the Hornady rounds.  The Speer Gold Dot and Federal Premium are silver in color while the Hornady are gold.

Bill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
You said that the CD shows definite signs of high pressure in your R9. What were the signs?  

Offline Marine Ordnance

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:35 PM »
Flat primers and no 'dimple' (caused by the firing pin strike) in the primer.  The primer is totally flat.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:27:39 AM by Marine_Ordnance »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »
* * * One of these days I will figure out how to post a picture.

Bill

Bill:

The information which Chris compiled at this link may be of help in that regard:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/pic-post.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline musicman

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks...

Simple question here, does your theory on High Pressure from these rounds suggest i am potentially damaging my R9 ?

tks MM