Author Topic: Why is it R9 gets bashed?  (Read 23334 times)

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
Why is it R9 gets bashed?
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
I have been following a thread on GlockTalk (yeah..I know) where I lurk sometimes.   People are really bashing the R9.    Lot's of rumors really.  One bloke says "I've heard they don't last long."  Another sent his back for a refund, etc.  They only like certain ammo is another constant gripe.

Now, I know some of the early R9s were a little finicky on ammo; and, yes, it does cost a fair bit.  That said, just who are these guys kidding..a G26 being just as concealable in normal pants pockets on a guy not weighing 300lbs...please!!!  

As for ammo, my personal opinion is that it's not nearly as finicky as these people make it out to be.   I know of folks who've been successful at Gold Dot, HST, Silvertip, and Hornady TAP.   So just how is 4 brands of premium JHP ammo defined as picky?  As for FMJ, as long as people stay away from Remington Green Box they'd be ok....that goes pretty much for all pistols.

I'm venting a bit here; and, yes, I came for sympathy :).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:57:09 AM by BytorJr »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
Re: Why is it R9 gets bashed?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
I have been replying on that thread as well. I told the OP to come to this forum for accurate info.
Here is the thread

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177735
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:04:18 AM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

I'm venting a bit here; and, yes, I came for sympathy :).

I agree with you.  I can't really offer sympathy, but agreement.  That being said, when I got my R9s, I read the recommended ammos here on the Forum, picked Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips and have never wanted to try anything else or tried anything else.

I use the motto, if it's not broke, don't fix it; same thing with ammo, if it works, I don't want to try anything else.  How can you improve on no FTF or no FTE, flawless everytime.

Now 9mm Silvertips are hard to find, I realize.  For me, though, I stocked up before they became scarce as they are today.  Point is, try the recommended ammo, and as so many here on the Forum say, pick what performs best in your R9 and stick with it.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
I think a lot of people ASSUME their Kimbers, Glocks, Sigs, et al will feed any JHP ammo well.  I doubt most of these folks complaining haven't even tested those aforementioned firearms with a multitude of loads.  Who knows, they may be just as "finicky."

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
Some folks complain just to complain; and why are they complaining about an R9 on the Glock Forum?  I know, they can talk about anything they want.

I have a Glock 33 compact and really like it, but if I didn't, I wouldn't complain about it on the Rohrgaugh Forum.  Oh well, that's just me.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
I can see where some of this is coming from.  Before I got my R9, I read this forum a great deal.  I also searched the web and I got conflicting information.  Most of the negative info, came from people who had never owned an R9.

Having previously carried a Kimber and a Springfield XD, I can see where folks would find the R9 less than user friendly.  

What they don't get is that the R9 is designed for a very specific purpose.  "Easily concealed self defense".  Yes it doesn't like all ammo and yes it needs to be cleaned after each use and yes the recoil spring has a short lifespan.  

As I mentioned once before on this forum; champion show dogs get better treatment than muts.  The R9 is definately a champion PUP!
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
Yep!  The R9 may not be for everyone, but for those of us who have em', love em'.....Well, like them alot.   :)    :)

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
When Glock first came on the market, I did back flips, just the thought of a light weight large caliber pistol that won't beat you up when carried all day. I was all over them, I bought the Model 23. In time the rest of the world caught up and started producing lightweight concealed carry pieces. I always preferred the steel guns, or at least alloy.I have a Kimber that weighs 25 ozs. easy to carry, I have some Sigs with alloy frames.
I like the R9 because it is light, small and is a true double action, not a Safe action or what ever they want to call it.
I will carry my Kimber 1911 in the cocked and locked condition well before I will carry my Glock 23 with a round in the chamber, and my feeling is if you're not going to carry with a round in the chamber leave the gun home, so I do.
The R9 with its true double action and small light weight size is an ideal carry piece. I have carried in my pocket, but I feel it is best served in a IWB. I feel well protected with it and very safe and confident it will stay in the inert condition until I pull the trigger. Remember, the Glock when cocked to load that round in the chamber is striker fired and that firing pin spring is under tension and you are more than half cocked.Very little pressure on that trigger releases that spring, you best be on target at that point, or at least have it pointed in a safe direction, not pointed down your trousers as we've seen.

The R9 is pricey, and when a product is out of financial reach of some it automatically becomes scrutinized for any rumored flaws.

Well constructed, easy to carry, you won't see us here bash the R9, we own one, the bashing comes from those not in the know.

Go with the percentages, there are bad models in every thing produced, it is up to the manufacturer to rectify it, this company stands behind their product, you can't ask for more than that.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
FloridaCCW,

Your response on GlockTalk was spot on....THANKS!!!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
When it comes to guns, automobiles, politics, and religion, there will always be differences of opinion -- often strongly expressed and sometimes expressed without the benefit of either experience or research. It all reminds me of this little item which has previously been posted to the Forum:  

I think it was Tracker who once described the R9 as "a gentleman's weapon." That sums up the matter rather well for me.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
"A gentlemans' weapon".  Has a nice ring to it!

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
A Glock is...well...a Glock, what else is there to harp on it? So, being bored as they are...they pick on something that most of them over there probably have never even touched let alone afford. As mentioned in other threads on this forum. a Glock is a tool and I have both. To concur with "Mr S", its a "gentlemens gun" and doesn't "print" in your pocket like a brick!

In a defense of them...a Glock eats anything you put in it and you can throw it against the wall numerous times and it still shoots. Its the perverbial "Bic" gun...Trying to compare one against an R9 however is like comparing elephant dung art to the Mona Lisa...

::)
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
A gentleman's weapon indeed.  I like that very much.

If I were in a position where I was more than likely going to get shot at everyday.  An R9, would not be my first choice as a weapon, though it would be for backup.

A gentleman tends not to get himself into dangerous situations.  We have a modicum of decorum, but like to be prepared none the less.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

That is like the definition of a superior pilot: "It is one who does not put himself into situations where he must summon his superior skills."

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »

In a defense of them...a Glock eats anything you put in it and you can throw it against the wall numerous times and it still shoots. Its the perverbial "Bic" gun...Trying to compare one against an R9 however is like comparing elephant dung art to the Mona Lisa...

::)

I'm sold on the Glock, thanks to the gentleman from Texas.  It fires, no matter what.  I used to think they were not so good to look at.....now, not so bad at all.   :)     ;)