Author Topic: Why is it R9 gets bashed?  (Read 23335 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Why is it R9 gets bashed?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »
That is like the definition of a superior pilot: "It is one who does not put himself into situations where he must summon his superior skills."

The instructor who taught this old Army type to fly a Cessna 150 years ago had an expression which I remember to this day: "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are *&^%$# few old bold pilots."   ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:34:40 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
I had one of my best friends, whom I would put in the catagory of a superior pilot.  I guess there are some things even a superior pilot can't handle.  He had his own plane, new, and got into battle with a sudden micro burst over Fla.  Needless to say, he lost.  He was one who always checked weather conditions, went through his plane check before take off, and filed his flight plan.  Then on a sunny day in 2004, going from his home in NC to his home in Fla.; the micro burst.

He tried climbing to 26,000 ft., but couldn't get above the burst.  The force tore off his right wing.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
I have lightly experienced some of those down here flying a twin Comanche...

and as far as sayings..."there are those who have ground looped and those that will"...

Speaking of pilots...wonder what happened to "flyandscube"...haven't seen Bill on here in quite some time
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Writer_Ron

Re: Why is it R9 gets bashed? (LONG)
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
I have been following a thread on GlockTalk (yeah..I know) where I lurk sometimes.   People are really bashing the R9.

Bashing is not unique to Rohrbaugh pistols. It happens with many relatively high-priced items: Swiss watches, BMWs, single-malt scotch, handmade knives ... the list goes on and on.

To understand the phenomenon, keep in mind that a consumer who decides to buy a particular item pays money in exchange for TWO kinds of benefits:

1. Functional Benefits
 -- The ability of a purchased product or service to do what it’s supposed to do. This tends to be objective, in the sense that function can tested and measured. However, different consumers seek different functional benefits.

2. Emotional Benefits
 -- The degree to which buyers feel better about themselves (or the world) after purchasing a product or service. This tends to be subjective, in the sense that it's highly personal.

When you see folks "bashing" a product, it's typically because THEY perceive a significant mismatch between the selling price and the value of the functional and emotional benefits.

Consider the happy purchaser of a new R9. He or she finds lots of functional benefits in a small, lightweight, well-made, reliable, all metal, 9mm pocket pistol with a smooth trigger. The price tag seems reasonable: after all, there are many customized 1911s -- and limited production revolvers -- out there that cost more than an R9. Compared to a Wilson 1911, an R9 is ... almost inexpensive.  :)

The new R9 owner also receives emotional benefits: pride of ownership, delight that the R9 is precision made and hand tuned, the fun of showing "the pup" to others (including folks at the range), and the happiness of participating in this forum as an owner.

Next, consider the happy Glock purchaser who chooses the Baby Glock after rejecting the R9. We can assume that he or she perceived much less functional benefit in the R9 compared to the Glock. In fact, he or she probably decided that three of the R9's characteristics contribute NEGATIVE benefit to the equation:
1. The R9's somewhat "finicky" ammo tastes.
2. The R9's restriction against shooting +P ammo.
3. The requirement to replace the recoil spring after 200 rounds.

To this Glock purchaser, the R9's high price (compared to a Glock or Springfield XD or a Ruger LCP) seems WAY out of line. How can a pistol with so many "shortcomings" be so expensive?

And so, he or she presumes that people who buy R9s didn't do enough homework or -- more likely -- were swayed by emotions (e.g. they bought their Rohrbaughs as "status symbols" or because they have more money than sense).

I believe that many (most?) "bashers fall into this group of folks." They don't see themselves as bashers -- but rather as "honest observers of the truth" that a Baby Glock will do a better job than an R9 of shooting a carload of mixed ammo during a LONG range session.

Bottom line: "bashers" don't understand what makes the R9 worth having ... and never will. But, they are often fun to talk to. :)

Ron

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

Sad to hear of your friend, KJ, and sometimes it is just wrong place at the wrong time and there was nothing that could be done about it. One of my neighbors, also a very skilled pilot, crashed last year flying home from Crested Butte in a 182. He was caught in mountain weather with no place to go but down and he, his wife, and two young children perished; a tragic end to a beautiful family.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:50:52 PM »

Very well stated, Writer_Ron; you are, indeed, a writer.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
Sorry, as well, to hear about your neighbors, tracker.  It is, indeed, tragic, and very hard to speak of those things, but sometimes it helps.  I had been close friends with Mick since the 3rd grade.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
Ron.  Spoken like a Scholar.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
Bashers are sometimes people who are jealous of what others have, sometimes because they can't afford it or just do not see the value in it.
   By bashing they justify not owning one, and at the same time let others know why they don't have or want one. And often times they know very little about the item they are bashing, except the price.
  I have asked people making negative comments why they didn't like the item they were bashing, and have heard things like "you have to be stupid to spend that much money on that"
or "they have more money than brains, I can get brand XYZ for about half the price of that, and it's just as good"
One of my favorites is "why do two people want a house that big" I usually respond with, Because they do and can afford it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »

Envy is the playground of losers.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:47 PM »
John.  I agree.  I simply respond:  "Because I can."

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
Envy is the playground of losers.

Very good words!  I like that.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
Writer_Ron....you are correct.  How many times have I heard the air-cooled Porsche 911s have terrible ergonomics?  Yet, I can think of no other car with a better driving position and outer vision.    The "quirky" handling seems to be very good IMO, seeing as how many championships have 911's won.  That quirky behavior is an advantage IF the driver knows how to use it - otherwise, it's a lost cause.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
I have had a Porsche.  Loved it....liked it alot.  I may have another.  I can only say good things, or should I say great things about the car.  

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »
Which model?   911, 928, 944, 924, 912, 914, 986? (and the list goes on).  

BTW...I see that Porsche engined Riley won the 24 hours of Daytona.