Author Topic: recoil / kick ?  (Read 6263 times)

Offline choochoo

recoil / kick ?
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »
I'm a newbee to the forum.
This coming week I will take the decision to purchase a R9 or not.
All that I have read makes me ready to jump in except I am a little concerned about the recoil of such a small pistol in 9mm. I have fired a lightweight Keltec 9mm PF-9 and although the recoil was severe, it was not un-manageable.
Anyone have experience with these two ?
I currently pack a Sig-P238 and a Seecamp 32 and I am just curious how this piece stacks up against something I know already.
Great forum --- seems like great folks...
Glad to be here......THANKS

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: recoil / kick ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
I have fired a P-F9 and the felt recoil is similar to the R9, not unmanageable at all. We're glad you're here, too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:21:13 PM by tracker »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »
I've got a LWS32 and the R9.  Recoil is sharp on the trigger finger with both, but you live with it.  They aren't range guns built for comfortable shooting of 1000's of rounds.  They are reliable, functional, and small enough to be with you more than sitting at home with your 1911 or Glock 17 range guns.

If you want a moderately comfortable shooting experience in a smallish 9mm, get the Kahr PM9.  I can shoot it as much as I want with no discomfort, but it's still not a target gun.

Welcome to the forum!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:22:25 PM by Ljutic »
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »
The Kahr PM9 is a fine pocket pistol but it does weigh 3 ounces more than the R9. It all depends on your priorities but I prefer the lighter weight.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:27:21 PM by tracker »

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
The recoil is not bad at all and is often exaggerated IMO. The webbing of my hand gets a little sore after a range session, but that is really it when it comes to discomfort. The webbing of my hand also gets sore with my Seecamp .32 and .380. I don't have any trigger finger problems either. The PM9 trigger was too soft for me and the side mag release was not something I wanted for pocket carry.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:37:53 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Choo.  Welcome to the Forum.  I have a Seecamp .32 and the R9.  The recoil of the R9 is definitely sharper than the .32 and rightfully so, however, not unmanageable.  

Good luck in your decision and again welcome.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:42:18 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline fulcrum

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
Hi choochoo,

As a recent R9 owner, I was also focused on the recoil horror stories everyone told me.  Fortunately, the owner of my local range had a used R9 he let me try before I sealed the deal.  I'm not a big guy, which is why I was totally surprised by how manageable the recoil was for such a small pistol.  My accuracy with the R9 at 18 feet was just as good as with my HK P2000SK.  However, I did notice my arm was shaking a bit after 30 rounds.

I was also considering a PM9, and I agree with FloridaCCW: the PM9 trigger was just way too soft for me.

Cheers,
Steve

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum choochoo.

I have nerve damage in my hands which causes weaknesss as well.
I am not a big man, I'm more of a medium frame.

I have an R9 and PF9 both of which I shoot.

I find the recoil similar  and not rough at all, quite manageable for me whom is at a disadvantage.

Don't get hung up on stories of what other people "heard".

It's no big deal

Good Luck
and
Good Shooting
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:16:21 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
Choo, I have two R9s and a Seecamp .32, I would much rather shoot the R9. Recoil is less and somehow feels "softer" if that makes any sense, more like a "push" than the slam that I get when I shoot the Seecamp. I hope this helps and I wish I could explain it better. And please be welcome to the best forum anywhere. Let us know what you decide. If you decide on the R9 then I would suggest that you contact Tom Watson (The Irish Guard) he makes things easier. Again, welcome. Glad to have you with us.    Gene
birdman

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »
Yes, SECOND TOM WATSON, he helps sponsor this forum and we should support our sponsors!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:46:21 AM »
Choochoo:

Welcome aboard!   ;D

With the caveat that felt recoil is highly subjective, I think you will find the R9's recoil to be entirely manageable. Being a dual-spring, locked-breech design, the R9's mechanism absorbs much of the recoil force. I find it to be about the same as that of a straight-blowback .380 ACP, such as the NAA Guardian.

And I second recommendation of Tom Watson by Gene and Reinz.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »
Choo.  Definitely will third the recommendation for Tom Watson of the Irish Guard here on the Forum.  Should you decide on the R9, give him a hollar; you'll be glad you did.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:51:22 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline musicman

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
Hi,

In my experience the recoil is Uncomfortable but not unmanigable.

Additionally - i have found different rounds produce different recoil... for example, the Gold Dots have more kick than the Hornady Criticle defense imo.

Either way your good
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:17:19 PM by musicman »

Offline Lawyer56

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »
Recoil is substantial but controllable. More interesting is the explosive sound when fired -- I was at the range yesterday where some shooters were firing fully auto Thompsons. When I shot my R9, they came over to me to see what was making such noise. Each was impressed by the R9's fit and finish.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
Fully auto Thompsons; you got my attention!  YES!    :)  Oh!  Now, back to the recoil/kick!    ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:56:57 PM by kjtrains »