Author Topic: Help Please, updated (Karl called)  (Read 26064 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Help Please, updated (Karl called)
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »

You're good to go, John, but I would recommend replacing the screws to avoid the dissimilar metal corrosion possibilty. You can do this without removing the grips.

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
But they don't want to move. I have new screws, quality wrenches and I weigh 200 pounds, but they won't move. If they're that happy where they are I won't  resort to heat, they can stay there.

I've carried the gun everyday since early 2007 and figure I've more than gotten my money's worth. It was used too, so maybe the first owner got carried away with some kind of locktite.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
So be it. Mine were happy, too, until one of the screw heads failed at the range.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:57:41 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
Tracker's right.  Could be trouble down the road, so to speak!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that the grips are necesary for the pistol to function?  Is that correct?  So if a screw comes lose the pistol is going to stop firing?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that the grips are necesary for the pistol to function?  Is that correct?  So if a screw comes lose the pistol is going to stop firing?

The right side grip keeps the trigger spring in place.  Should that grip become loose, the trigger spring can and probably will malfunction.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:41:11 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
Not only the spring, the trigger bar can slide out of place causing a malfunction as well if the right grip is loose.

I check the grip screws every week or two on my EDC R9 even if i do not shoot it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
Here's what the right grip controls in relation to the trigger.  Keep those grip screws tight.    :)

A partial comment by R9SCarry:

along with the transfer bar and associated spring.  It is this latter that is retained by the right grip panel...thus the reason for said panel not being allowed to loosen.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-detail-pics.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:23:06 AM by kjtrains »

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
I have not had a problem with any of the pups that I have had,including my EDC since 05..

I do check from time to time to see if they have loosened..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »
Still awaiting return of my R9 Covert...Karl emailed and said they had the tools to remove the stripped screw, but needed some kind of an insert which he purchased.  It was supposed to be delivered to him Friday (we hope) and he anticipated getting the pistol back to me sometime this week.  Here's hoping!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
Still awaiting return of my R9 Covert...Karl emailed and said they had the tools to remove the stripped screw, but needed some kind of an insert which he purchased.  It was supposed to be delivered to him Friday (we hope) and he anticipated getting the pistol back to me sometime this week.  Here's hoping!

The insert is probably a Heli-coil we used them with Aluminum parts when I worked in the Aero Space industry.

http://www.emhart.com/brands/heli-coil
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:10 PM »
Never heard of Heli-coil...we apparently don't need them in the OR or intensive care unit, so I'll take your word for it John.  I'm glad I could give Karl an excuse to buy one though.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »
Heli-Coils have been around for many years. I live very close to a factory that survives on soley manufacturing them, so there is a need.

Is there a use for Never-Seize on these grip screws? It works as an inhibitor for two dissimilar metals. I have used it for many years on my spark plug threads and other nuts and bolts that may give grieve to remove.
I know the problem I'm reading is that fact that the grips like to loosen themselves, but the Never-Seize would allow a little more torque to tighten them.
Currently I have VZ grips on my R9, VZ grip screws, no lock tight at all, I have checked the screws ( just yesterday actually) periodically and they are tight.
I am now concerned from reading here, if I do not remove the screws on occasion, the screws may be permanently attached to the frame.   

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
I'm not sure that steel would react with aluminum anyway, but am certainly no expert.  My problem was factory placement of what appears to be locktite white on my grip screws when it was returned after a replacement of an out of spec firing pin retainer.  In trying to get my VZ's back on (Maria's letter suggested that the pistol should be original, ie: no fancy grips, when returned to the factory, so I put the originals back on) I managed to get three of the grips screws loose, but buggered the 4th.  Karl has kindly agreed to fix this for me.  I really think the answer is to use Yankee2500's aftermarket screws, but simply continue to tighten them after each use or 50 rounds if necessary.  It's not a big deal as long as you are aware of the problem. 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
I have VZ grips on mine and Yankee's screws.  The front (muzzle end) screws are loose after 7 shots.  I usually do about thee magazines full when I shoot it and then retighten.  I too am afraid to use locktite.