Author Topic: Help Please, updated (Karl called)  (Read 26259 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Help Please, updated (Karl called)
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
When John gets the O-Rings in stock, may be a good time to try those.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »

That's my plan.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
MRC

I am also aprehensive about using locktite.
I just make certain the grip screws are tight even of I don't shoot it.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
That is how I have been handling it Z.

One thing I do know is if I had somewhere north of $1700.00 in a near new Covert and they were putting Heli-coils in my frame from a factory screw up, I'd be pissed.  Maybe I am just hard to get a long with.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
I would have the same reaction.

Fortunatly I only had 1 problem with a cheap allen wrench. I removed the screw witha torx bit and purchased a HUDY precision allen whench and have been AOK ever since! :)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »

imo, Loctite is part of the problem not part of the solution.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
Tracker
I could not agree more!

I have never had any problems without using locktite other than an allen wrench issue.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
I will try John O ring solution. I do not see it causing any issues.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

One thing I do know is if I had somewhere north of $1700.00 in a near new Covert and they were putting Heli-coils in my frame from a factory screw up, I'd be pissed.  Maybe I am just hard to get a long with.

From this I am assuming that the heli-coil is not just a screw removal system, but an insert into a buggered screw hole in the frame.  If so, I am also an unhappy camper since the problem was caused by factory use of a permanent type of loctite which must have been, as well, over torqued to cause the damage?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »

Loctite is a band-aid to a weak screw design issue.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

From this I am assuming that the heli-coil is not just a screw removal system, but an insert into a buggered screw hole in the frame.  If so, I am also an unhappy camper since the problem was caused by factory use of a permanent type of loctite which must have been, as well, over torqued to cause the damage?
I don't think there is enough thickness for a heli-coil...here is how a large one is installed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:11:25 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 08:16:23 PM »
As one who has long advocated the use of O-rings, permit me to post this photo of one about to be installed on R9 No. 132 wearing a set of VZ grips. Also shown are five spares for use in due course:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »

I don't think there is enough thickness for a heli-coil...here is how a large one is installed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYa6sjhh_E

You can install a helicoil in any thickness that can be threaded.
  The helicoil is actually stronger than the aluminum and that's the reason they use them in the Aerospace industry, when you put the screw in it's a steel to steel contact and not steel to Aluminum.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

Loctite is a band-aid to a weak screw design issue.

Amen!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
Thanks Jack...interesting video and a good explanation.  Re:  loctite...don't see much of a problem with loctite blue, but it really doesn't hold for long.  NEVER use the white.  I'm going with the o-rings on John's screws when I get this back.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis