Author Topic: Failure to Feed  (Read 26167 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Failure to Feed
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
I tried some of those O-rings and found that I could not get the grip screws to seat all the way down.

I put the O-ring on the screw and then tightened it as much as I could until I was afraid of stripping it and the screw was still slightly sticking up and you could feel it easily when running your hand over it.

I much prefer to just use a tiny bit of locktite and have the screws flush and smooth.

FC:

I don't know what size O-rings you have tried, but it could be that they are a bit too thick for use with the R9.  The rings come in various sizes, some resembling miniature tire inner tubes.  I tried some of those on my own R9 and found the screw heads, as you described, extended slightly above the surface of the grip.  The next smallest in thickness worked as desired.  The "miniature inner tubes" are reserved for my Colt 1911 .45 ACP and MR DE .50 AE.

However, whatever works for you and gives you confidence in your pistol is of course the way to go.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
It also occurred to me that your O-rings must be too large because my screws with O-rings fit below flush with the grips surface and are tight.

Offline fc2462

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Yes, the o-rings are too big.  They are the ones I received from Yankee (I think) - whoever the guy is who sells the alloy grip screws on here.  The screws were great but the o-rings just did not work as the screw could not be seated all the way flush with the o-rings installed.

It also occurred to me that your O-rings must be too large because my screws with O-rings fit below flush with the grips surface and are tight.

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »
 Anybody got a link & size for the O-rings? I searched " Yankee" & came up dry. It does seem like a better idea than Loktite.

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 02:16:15 AM »
I'm not here to knock LoctiteŽ Threadlocker.  In fact, I use it for some applications -- just not on the grip screws of my R9. 

Just to clear the air to avoid any confusion.  I was not trying to knock Locktite...I do use it frequently as well, but like Richard S ..... not for my Rohrbaugh. 

My post was merely to offer the reason why I choose not to use it for gun applications.  If the post offended anyone, I do apologize upfront.  The Yankee O-rings cured my loose grip screw issue, so I highly recommend them.  Just trying to help

D
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:12 AM »
I have never had a grip screw work loose in my holster or range bag.  Simple solution, tighten the screws every 20 to 50 rounds and after each time you clean the weapon (which should be after each time it is fired IMO).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
Anybody got a link & size for the O-rings? I searched " Yankee" & came up dry. It does seem like a better idea hipthan Loktite.

I hope this link is helpful. (I have no relationship or knowledge of the seller.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-RING-SET-225-RINGS-UNIVERSAL-SIZES-RUBBER-O-RINGS-FREE-SHIPPING-/310696628328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4856f65068

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline saltz1979

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
Just got my 1/16" wrench today and checked the screws. The ones on the right side did need to be tightened. The left ones did also. The one that was the most loose was the left bottom one. Thanks for the info as I will make sure I check after every firing. I only have a little over 100 rounds through and plan on only firing two mags every 6 months.

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
 Back to the range today. Feed ramp polished, grip screws tight, mag de-stressed, lubed & ready to try alternating mags of 115 Gold Dots & 124 grain Golden Sabers. Same problem. Failure to feed EVERY TIME on the 3rd round plus a 2nd & 3rd round FTF on the second mag. Didn't think I could get any more frustrated, then the guide rod broke off it's base & flung down range causing the slide to lock part way back. Called Maria & back to the factory it goes. Really wanted this to become my primary carry weapon but after 40 years of shooting it has turned out to be the most expensive & least reliable handgun I've ever owned.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:35 PM »
I don't know what to say, Drum, except that there are thousands of flawless R9s out here and that the factory will make yours right.

All the best.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
 Sure hope you're right, Richard. The accuracy was great on the successful rounds & I can't imagine a 9mm easier to conceal or carry, I'm just frustrated. Hopefully the factory visit solves my dilemma.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
I carry daily.  I have several Bobergs, several Seecamps, a few other carry pieces, but my daily carry is an R9.  This is a trustworthy carry piece but it needs quality care. IMHO the grip screws do not get loose unless the pistol is fired (or at least triggered a LOT on a snap cap?).  THUS, IT MAKES SENSE TO ME, to simply tighten the grip screws after each range session, and check them occationally when the pistol has not been fired for several months "just in case".  On the range I always have the appropriate equipment in my range bag to tighten the screws after every 40-50 rounds, and I do so when my aged memory allows.  I do use Yankee's O rings, but I still find that the screws can become loose after 50 rounds or so through the spout.  After cleaning the weapon, oil can get into the screw holes.  Occasionally remove the grips  and dry the holes with a pipe cleaner, then replace and tighten the screws appropriately.

I have owned only 3 R9's, and after a reasonable break-in and a little learning experience, only one has had a major problem, and that was related to a relatively rare malfunction (due to out of speck firing pin retainer, which a very few other owners have experienced), which Karl repaired at his expense.  I now carry this one  daily, and the others were without issue including the one I sold to buy the Covert (and which I now wish I had also kept). 

Break it in.  Give it time.  Lubricate it well, but carefully.  Hold it tight, treat it right, carry light but ALWAYS find out what premium ammo it likes best, whether Gold Dot, Golden Sabres, Federal Premium, etc. and give it what it likes.  If practice ammo occationally jams but costs less, so what as long as your carry ammo always works.  Most prefer 124gr or 147gr, but some 115 users disagree.  Learn your weapon before you carry.

Shoot safely, shoot well, shoot a lot!  This is still the best carry 9mm pistol available.  (see my recent post about my new Kimber Solo from today).
Regards,
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:02 PM »
Backup: I also carry daily & have for decades. Colt Mustang, P3AT & Ruger LCR. I checked the grip screws before today's range visit & have not used Snap Caps on this firearm at all. The first failure to feed was THREE ROUNDS into my session so it seems unlikely loose grip screws were the problem. I also doubt a broken guide rod was due to a lack of maintenance as the firearm was well lubricated & has only 72 rounds through total. I tried both Gold Dot 115 and Golden Saber 124 with the same result. No practice ammo. Only what I intend to carry. I'm not trashing Rohrbaugh & REALLY want this to work. It is my belief that this particular gun has a problem. Perhaps the guide rod was warped or there is another problem which Karl will uncover. I'm hoping for a solution & WANT to believe this is an trustworthy carry piece. My experience thus far has ben less than reassuring.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:01 AM »
Hey, Drum, sorry for your toubles!  I have 4 great reliable ones that I trust my life with!

I wouldn't blame you for giving up at all. I hope you don't. I have my ideas of what the problem may be, but that don't mean jack. This is between you and the factory. Good Luck!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
Hi Reinz. I'm pretty sure the factory will make this right. It goes back Monday since Maria suggested it not be "in the system" over the weekend. Still, I'd be interested in your opinion.  Noticed the guy running the 2000 round test thread had some of the same problems.