Author Topic: Failure to Feed  (Read 26148 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Failure to Feed
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
Drum, sorry I missed the last post you placed before my last one...I was still on page one.  You clearly have a problem pistol and rebuilding trust will take a while.  Please consider checking the firing pin retainer...try to move it with a small screwdriver (gently but firmly).  If it shifts to the right side it is the problem...it will rub on the slide during recoil and retard the speed of the recoil, causing all kinds of problems similar to those you have experienced.  I had the same problem and it nearly ruined the R9 for me except that I had owned one before (stupidly sold it) that was perfectly functional.  As previously noted, that pistol now is my carry piece and is completely trustworthy.  Check this out, send it back...Karl will make it right...then start over.

As a prior president (not one of my favorites, but a quantum leap better than the present one) once said, "I feel your pain"!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Also, take a look at the threat "pronunciation" that is one of the new ones...same problem.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline guncats

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 10:37:40 PM »
Hi Reinz. I'm pretty sure the factory will make this right. It goes back Monday since Maria suggested it not be "in the system" over the weekend. Still, I'd be interested in your opinion.  Noticed the guy running the 2000 round test thread had some of the same problems.

Most of the problems I encountered were FTE, I think there was only one FTF and I remember it was likely from holding the gun the wrong way. I feel my R9 is somehow getting more reliable and easier to shoot? maybe it takes up to 500rd to really break-in? I have yet tried any hollow point rounds, though.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
Guncats, the R9 really does a more predictable job with JHP ammo, especially Gold Dot, some Federal premium ammo, and some pistols seem to like Remington Golden Saber.  124 and for some 147gr. ammo works best, and is generally felt the better choice for self defence.  I use Lawman 124 for range work, but always fire 13 rounds out of a box of my choice (124 Gold Dot JHP) and assuming my beat-up wrist joints don't go limp, if all rounds from that box fire then I use the rest of that box for carry.  This is a practice many now use because of the variability of ammo and primers even from lot to lot within one manufacturer...trust only the ammo from a box that works for carry!

Feed it the right ammo; learn the one it likes best.  Keep your grip screws tight...tighten after each range trip...keep it clean and lubricated properly; learn your weapon through practice and carry it when you are confident that it will always serve your needs. It took me a while to break mine in and to trust it...now it never fails me as long as I treat it right.

Shoot safely, shoot well, shoot often.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
Backup: CONGRATULATIONS! I think you have identified the problem. Took your advice & checked the firing pin retainer. It's VERY loose & can easily be moved side to side with almost no effort. if this is the whole problem I will be one happy camper. Here's a few pictures. Maria said don't clean it so ignore the crud. Thanks for the expert advice.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
I have to chime in and say that my unscientific survey of this forum indicated that 124gr Gold Dots worked the most reliably across the widest range of owners.

I only have a few hundreds round fired through my R9 but I have not had any problems with 124gr Gold Dot, 124gr and 147gr Lawman, and 147gr Winchester Ranger "T" Series - RA9T.

I had two failures to fire in the first six Remington Golden Sabres I tried to shoot. 

I noticed on the cases that did fire - I had very shallow indentations on the primers.

The top left two are  fired Winchester Ranger T and Speer Gold Dot, the bottom left is a 147gr bondedGolden Sabre that fired and you can see the primer doesn't have a solid noticeable indentation, the green sealant made a strange ring around the primer after the cartridge ignited - I'm calling that "fried egg" primer.

The top right two are Remington 147gr bonded Golden Sabres that failed to fire.

I have nothing against them, I mean just looking at how they perform in 4 denim gel test I think they would be a great SD round, I'm just saying that they don't work in my particular R9s and if I were troubleshooting an R9 - I wouldn't use the Golden Sabres to troubleshoot it, I'd use 124gr Gold Dots to trouble shoot.

** In my range report I stated that I had 2 failure to fire out of 7 Remington 147gr bonded Golden Sabres, but I remembered that the last failure to fire I had was the second to last round in the magazine, and I actually never even tried to fire the last Golden Sabre in the mag - I put that cartridge back in the box, so technically it was 2 failure to fire out of 6.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:45:11 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
Drumbum,

This is the same problem that I had, a firing pin retainer that moved around.  I also had it move when the slide was opened when firing the gun.  As a result the gun jammed opened and the gun needed to be taken apart for the slide to move correctly. The company made this right after a few trips back.
I think it is a flaw they have in the gun. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:54 PM »
I think renrew is right.  My problem was a while back, and Karl said there had only been one or two prior cases...I atributed my issue to having a Covert (an R9 sent off to be coated and tweaked by another well-known gunmaker), but there have been too many reports now of the same problem...sounds like a quality control issue that should be evaluated at the factory, and each pistol should be checked before sending it out.  Anyhow, glad to be of help.  I flat love mine, but I do wish it had more easily visualized sights...may have a gunsmith drill out the current ones and drop in a dot.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
The question is, when the pistols that have had the problem with the firing pin retainers moving around were new in the box, at that time was there movement with them, or did they become dislodged after some use?

I think there is a possibility that if one checked the FPR when the gun was new it would have looked fine and not had any movement, and only after the 9mm cartridges were fired in the little gun did the problem start.

It is too bad that the company can’t make a way so the retainer would not be able to move under any circumstances, as this is the only real defect I can find in these fine pistols.

Offline Drumbum

• NRA Member
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
 Got my "problem child" back from the factory. New guide rod, firing pin retainer & repair of an out of spec ejector. They also included two new recoil springs which I thought was a nice touch. Finally got a chance to head back to the range this morning. Added stick on traction grips to the front & back straps plus a piece on the front of the trigger guard. Nice addition to a "slippery when wet" gun. Used up the rest of my ammo with alternating mags of 115 Gold dots & Golden Sabers.

WOW! What a difference. 63 rounds total. No problems WHATSOEVER with the Gold Dots (28 rounds). The Golden Sabers (35 rounds) were another story. 3 failure to feeds, one failure to eject & 2 hard primers that required a second strike. It's odd to me that my P3AT lights up the Golden Sabers every time but the heavier R9 had a problem. Still, you can't argue with reality, so it's Gold dots for me. Gonna try to find 124 grain this time. The grip screws had to be tightened after every other mag but I haven't added o-rings or Loctite so that issue still has to be addressed.

Overall I'm very pleased. Haven't cleaned it yet so I'm not sure if the FPR is loose. Seems unlikely based on performance. Another 50 rounds of Gold Dots without problems will equal redemption for this gun.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
When a gun works - you love them. Naturally the FTF, and FTEs, wear thin real fast. Normally ammo is 99% of the problem.

I doubt it's quality control, or poor manufacturing. The factory loses most of the profit when a gun is returned to be debugged.

Offline ddc

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 10:41:16 AM »
Hello Drumbum,
Any further successes or failures?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Drumbum, glad you now have a functional R9.  Mine continues as my EDC and is still the easiest carry of all.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
Mine continues as my EDC and is still the easiest carry of all.

I agree wholeheartedly!

And to add- it is/was my Holy Grail of EDC!   The search has been over for 7 yrs.

The only other EDC that I buy is another R9  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:09:48 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Have not been on this site for quite awhile, but read this forum topic with interest.
Took my R9 to a new range in the area just last week. I carry it or have it in my possession almost constantly, but have not given it much range time recently. My friend and I put about 84 rounds through it. The first 14 were Gold Dot 124's. Perfect performance. Then we tried 70 rounds of Herter's, purchased at Cabelas for about $20/50.
We don't ordinarily do this because most ranges will not allow it, but we tried to duplicate an emergency situation where we had to fire seven rounds as quickly as possible, single handed, with full arm extension or from the hip. The very tolerant range master was impressed. These rounds are not premium by any stretch of the imagination, yet we only had one FTE fully (case was wedged between slide and new cartridge) and two FTF. The FTF's fired on the second pull.
I think this is pretty good under the circumstances. We did find both right side screws were a little loose about 1/2 way through the session and we did allow the gun to cool for a couple of minutes between reloads. The R9 was filthy, but a thorough cleaning was easy, and a treatment with Froglube followed. Great little gun!
By the way, I posted some questions a few months back about purchasing a 1911 as a gift. I bought my friend a stainless Les Baer 1911. What a firearm! It took a lot of breaking in because the tolerances are incredibly tight, but it is an awesome piece of machinery. Thanks to all who recommended it. Doc  ;)