Author Topic: New R9 stealth : ) Shipped to williams for light strikes/ it's back : ?  (Read 25837 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I received a very nice R9 from cargaritaville today. Looks very new. Thanks Norm!!

I took it apart and frog lubed the entire pistol and it really looks new inside and out with only the slightest wear on the aluminum where the mag slides in. Truly a fine looking piece.

So now I'm left with a similar dilemma that I've heard several others post about.

Do I keep this one pristine or use it? I guess if the other one comes back and it is 100% then I can just SQ this one as a backup. I'm really not wanting to holster this one. Just seems a shame at this point anyway.

I do think I will take it to the range and see how it runs a box of Lawman 124 grain first though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:43:39 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: New R9 stealth : )
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »
I am now down to one safe queen. From now on, they all go to the range for a workout. My father once told me that if I was going to be happy in life, that I'd better make peace with imperfection real soon. I think that I'll follow that route.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
Two threads.  Did you receive two?  ;)

(Guessing you were having an issue with attaching the photo perhaps)

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7546.0

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7547.0

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Two threads.  Did you receive two?  ;)

(Guessing you were having an issue with attaching the photo perhaps)

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7546.0

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7547.0

Yes I was. I tried to go back and remove one of them but it wouldn't let me.

Well it was a busy day and I wasn't able to get to the range... Maybe tomorrow.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »
They were meant to be used Josh.  Unless it is purely an investment (and even then) if you put it away most likely your widow will let some "old friend" buy it for 1/10th of its value.  Take it from an almost retired intensive care doc, life is too unpredictable to "save it" for some future that may never arrive...Carpe diem!
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
if you put it away most likely your widow will let some "old friend" buy it for 1/10th of its value

My biggest fear in life is that when I pass away, my wife will sell all my toys for what I told her I paid for them!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
My biggest fear in life is that when I pass away, my wife will sell all my toys for what I told her I paid for them!

This is great!
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »
Great my ass...now I have to hide the link to this thread in case my wife sees it!  >:(  ;)
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
Great my ass...now I have to hide the link to this thread in case my wife sees it!  >:(  ;)

My wife still thinks there is only one gun in my giant safe   ::)
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
There is a part of me that wants to put the R9 on a nice cushy pillow in a dry safe, but then I walk around for a few days carrying a CM9 and the Rohrbaugh goes back in the pocket

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »

My wife still thinks there is only one gun in my giant safe   ::)

It's dangerous to let your wife look into your gun safe. The last time I let my wife look into mine she "requisitioned" this as her own:

::)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »

It's dangerous to LETyour wife look into your gun safe. The last time I let my wife look into mine she "requisitioned" this as her own.

Well Richard, your problem is your open permissiveness...you must really love that girl!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »

It's dangerous to LETyour wife look into your gun safe. The last time I let my wife look into mine she "requisitioned" this as her own.

Well Richard, your problem is your open permissiveness...you must really love that girl!

John:

That's for sure! I crashed and burned at first sight, gave her my card (a gesture she did not return), then spent a month working to identify and find her. Having finally accomplished that, I devoted the following year to "hot pursuit." 😎
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:55:35 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
I agree. It would t be such a quandry, but my other one is a scratched gun. If it becomes 100% I may carry it and save the stealth for a time in the future, but I am fine using it.

Now, more about that. I was able to run 50 124 gr lawman through it today.

Yipee. 50 rounds. 50 bangs. No clicks or FTE/stovepipes. Yes!!!!

I even ran 5 left handed/one handed and 5 right handed/one handed

Finally a working R9. I'm very pleased with it.

I didn't let it cool between mags either.

I will clean the lil machine and try some 115 gr silver tips so I know how it functions and then to the recommended carry much and occasionally fire off the 2 mags i have been walking around with for a while.

Sound like a reasonable approach, or should I just carry it now and forget the 115 gr? Thoughts?

Thanks again Norm. Great lil giant.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:06:07 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

Finally a working R9. I'm very pleased with it.

I didn't let it cool between mags either.

I will clean the lil machine and try some 115 gr silver tips so I know how it functions and then to the recommended carry much and occasionally fire off the 2 mags i have been walking around with for a while.

Sound like a reasonable approach, or should I just carry it now and forget the 115 gr? Thoughts?

Josh:

Congratulations. That is a reasonable approach. And your new R9 is typical of nearly every one of  the thousands that came off of the line. It is typical of the R9s that I and many others around here have been describing for years.

You say that you didn't let the piece cool down between strings of fire. That is pushing the envelope for the smallest and lightest pistol ever designed for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge. For what it is width, now that you have done that once, I wouldn't do it again if the pistol were mine. The chances of having to fire a rapid string of 50 or so rounds during a self-defense situation in civilian life are slim to none.

Enjoy your new masterpiece.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"