Author Topic: New R9 stealth : ) Shipped to williams for light strikes/ it's back : ?  (Read 26004 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: New R9 stealth : )
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »
Well let's add 25 rounds of 147 grain gold dot to the new Cargarittaville stealth.

So far that makes

50, 124

20, 115 ST

25, 124 GD

I did have another problem with a couple needing a few squeezes to get the primer to fire.

I wonder if I ought to send it in for light strike issues. Thoughts?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
R9's have an extremely light hammer spring in order to get the nice trigger pull.  They also use a very stiff firing pin spring to aid in the muzzle drop test.  Both could be contributing factors.

To me, a gun that has this problem is worthless for defense purposes.  There are too many striker fired pistols that will never fail you.

If it were mine, I would talk to the Gunsmith at Williams and see what he says.  Be able to tell him what ammo you had trouble with and what percentage of strikes fail on the first try.

Good luck.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
R9's have an extremely light hammer spring in order to get the nice trigger pull.  They also use a very stiff firing pin spring to aid in the muzzle drop test.  Both could be contributing factors.

To me, a gun that has this problem is worthless for defense purposes.  There are too many striker fired pistols that will never fail you.

If it were mine, I would talk to the Gunsmith at Williams and see what he says.  Be able to tell him what ammo you had trouble with and what percentage of strikes fail on the first try.

Good luck.

Sounds smart MRC. Thanks.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »

Which ammo had the light strikes?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
So far gold dot 147, Winchester and I THINK the gold dot 124 MAY have, but I can't swear to it.

I shot 1/2 of the box of 147's in each of the R9's. The stealth struggled again with the 147's like it did with the 115 and maybe a round or two of the 124's.

The one that just came back from Williams didn't have an issue with light strikes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:47:27 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »
Well the stealth is officially going into Williams for some tweaking after the aforementioned light strikes. Shipping tag on the way.

Not sure what the issue would be as it did look almost perfect when it arrived from Cargarittavile.

Oh well, still glad I got it. Last I checked there were no more R9's on gunbroker except for the $5000 special forces piece. At least we have a place to send them if needed.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: New R9 stealth : ) Shipped to williams for light strikes
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Shipped it off today. I'm very confident it will be a 100% pistol when it returns.

I almost wonder if it just sat dry too long in a safe and needs lubed or worked in areas I can't get to readily. It ran 100% except for the light strikes and just looked so good inside and out. It's gonna be a winner like my other one now that the ejector is repaired.

I'll keep you fellas posted.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
Well they called me Sunday afternoon to tell me in 20 rounds with two different types of 115 gr ammo they couldn't get it to malfunction.

They were going to take it down today and look deeper into it and then perhaps run some more rounds.

So far they are not experiencing what I did. The fellow did say there were no failures to eject or feed.

I guess that's good.

Just an update.

I opted to not discuss the one they already fixed that needs to go back (for the same repair after just 109 rounds) until I get this one back For what it's worth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:00:09 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »

Is it possible that this sequence of events could be attributed to operator error?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:35 PM »
Possible. Do you recomend pulling the trigger harder Tracker?  ;D

In case you are being for real I would honestly say...

I don't think so. I was testing the 3 types of ammo with both guns. Only one gun had light strikes. Only one gun FTE. All with multiple types of fresh, quality ammo.

I was being fairly methodical as well.

Don't blame you for asking. I always start with the human error possibility when trying to troubleshoot for work especially when I know the guy I'm dealing with is a Bozo. You must know me better than I thought  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:06:07 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 09:52:24 PM »

No offense but it takes one to know one.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »

No offense but it takes one to know one.

Haha. Yep good call. I've probably made most of the mistakes to be made around here.

None taken whatsoever sir. Good to have someone to bounce stuff off of when trying to figure out issues. Getting offended over someone asking if i could be the problem wouldn't be helpful on my part.

Thanks for the input.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
Well Bob at Williams ran another 15 rounds and never experienced an issue.

3 types of ammo. All 115 grain and no problems. Hmmmm

Well he said that Rohrbaugh had an improved trigger bar that the hook pulled the hammer back a little further which he did install for the little stealth.

The other theory he and a fellow smithy had working was that considering the muzzle rise on such a small pistol it is possible that if I didn't grip it good enough it may have not cycled the slide properly and perhaps wasn't returning all the way forward.

At this point I think it remains a bit of a mystery.

I will get it back and do an occasional 2 mag test and see where we end up. The mag extension really helps! I highly recommend it.

Well so far I can definately say my 2 have been finicky, but it seems as though we are making progress towards reliability.

I think I will be much more aware of any mistakes I may be making.

I did mention that the other one needs to come back for repair again. They without question are sending a pickup box out tomorrow.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
Well Bob at Williams ran another 15 rounds and never experienced an issue.

3 types of ammo. All 115 grain and no problems. Hmmmm

Well he said that Rohrbaugh had an improved trigger bar that the hook pulled the hammer back a little further which he did install for the little stealth.

The other theory he and a fellow smithy had working was that considering the muzzle rise on such a small pistol it is possible that if I didn't grip it good enough it may have not cycled the slide properly and perhaps wasn't returning all the way forward.

At this point I think it remains a bit of a mystery.

I will get it back and do an occasional 2 mag test and see where we end up. The mag extension really helps! I highly recommend it.

Well so far I can definately say my 2 have been finicky, but it seems as though we are making progress towards reliability.

I think I will be much more aware of any mistakes I may be making.

I did mention that the other one needs to come back for repair again. They without question are sending a pickup box out tomorrow.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »
Take is apart and lube it when you get it back.  I still use EEZOX and have simply had no problems with either R9, nor with my Seecamps and various other pistols and revolvers.  Lube right, grip tight.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis