Author Topic:    HK P7 showed up  (Read 30450 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re:     HK P7 showed up
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
    I just finished re-reading that link that Richard forwarded. Good information, but I think that the title of that organization (Disabled firearms collectors association) is the saddest thing I've ever heard. God forbid that it happen here, but it could.     Gene

It is sad.

At my age, I am reasonably confident that the Second Amendment will still be intact by the time I shuffle off this motal coil. However, I can only hope that the sacred right to keep and bear arms will still be available to American citizens when the heirs of my grandsons come of age.

Support the NRA!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »
      Richard, like you, I'm far enough down that road that I won't see the end of our freedoms. We pat each other on the back when we get a win, but while we're celerbrating a big win we lose two or three "little" battles. I get the feeling that, overall, we're losing the war. All we can do is just keep on keepin' on and hope for the best.       Gene
birdman

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
      On a happier note, the P7 got back from from Bearcoat and looks great! All scratches and scrapes are gone. I really like the satin black finish. Everything moves much smoother, I can even feel a difference when I'm sliding a magazine in. One sour note, the grips from grips4u just didn't fit. I called Pete Foldyna at grips4u and he said send them back. I did, and ordered a pair from nill. no idea when I'll get them, but I'll get pics if and when I get the gun put together. Nill's grips are beautiful, but spendy as H***. More to come.      Gene    
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
Gene.  This chapter is not quite ended yet, then.  Sorry the grips4u didn't work.  Hope the Nill's do the job!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
I looked at the Nill grip site a while back and they are very nice and yes quite pricey, like R9 CFs. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »
Gene:

That is unfortunate about the Micarta grips not fitting your P7, but Karl Nill should have the matrix for your particular model.

A word of caution about the Nill walnut grips -- be very careful when removing the right panel. As you know, the P7's grips snap into place. If too much leverage is exerted from the front in removing the right grip panel, it is very easy to break the narrow back spur shown in this photograph:

When removing the right Nill panel, I use a 2" putty knife to lift the forward edge very slightly and then use a finger to push the panel gently free from within the magazine well.

Good luck!

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
     Good advice Richard, thank you. If you look at the backside of the P7 grips you can easily understand why they are as expensive as they are. I don't think I've ever seen a grip that intricate and complicated. So I'm back to waiting.  More to come.   Gene
birdman

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »
   Update, had an email this morning from MacTec. They are the U.S. distributor for Nill grips, and the site that I ordered mine from. It seems that the grips I ordered are out of stock and not expected til "the end of october". Fortunately the original equipment black plastic grips are in good shape (and look pretty good actually) so I can use them til the new ones show. More to come, don't touch that dial!         Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
Gene.  Now you've got to wait some more; wait, wait, wait; however, time does have a way of passing by; you'll have the new Nill's before you know it!  Enjoy the plastic ones for now.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
Gene:

I just re-read my most recent post in this thread and noted that I referred to "Micarta" grips. I then recalled that you had earlier asked about sources for wood grips, and that I had mentioned that Pete Foldyna offered P7 grips in walnut as well as Micarta. Since I have a pair of Foldyna's Micarta grips for my P7, I just assumed that you had ordered a set as well. To use a NASCAR expression, I must have had a "brain fade."   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
As my grade school teacher told me over and over, "keep your mouth shut and listen.  I have been doing just that and indeed have been taught a lot.
Richard great advice on right side grip, only took mine off once and it took way too long for me to figure it out.  

I still have a problem, remember my P7 has the "converted" mag release with a round butt.  I emailed MacTec and they emailed back and said Nill did not make a set of grips to fit my gun.  

I did talk to Pete at Grips4u and he told me to measure from the screw hole down and up and call him back.

I was waiting to see how you made out Gene and now am wondering what I should do next?  

Richard any other great advice on grips and sights would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:37:12 PM by Dino »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
Gene:

I just re-read my most recent post in this thread and noted that I referred to "Micarta" grips. I then recalled that you had earlier asked about sources for wood grips, and that I had mentioned that Pete Foldyna offered P7 grips in walnut as well as Micarta. Since I have a pair of Foldyna's Micarta grips for my P7, I just assumed that you had ordered a set as well. To use a NASCAR expression, I must have had a "brain fade."   ;)

Good intentions!  Richard.    :D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
All right, Gene, here is a Del Fatti holster for your P7:   8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170552311360

I have no relation to the seller, but these things are hard to find since Matt suspended taking new orders in March 2008 to work on his backlog. The bidding on this one could become hot and heavy.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
As my grade school teacher told me over and over, "keep your mouth shut and listen.  I have been doing just that and indeed have been taught a lot.
Richard great advice on right side grip, only took mine off once and it took way too long for me to figure it out.  

I still have a problem, remember my P7 has the "converted" mag release with a round butt.  I emailed MacTec and they emailed back and said Nill did not make a set of grips to fit my gun.  

I did talk to Pete at Grips4u and he told me to measure from the screw hole down and up and call him back.

I was waiting to see how you made out Gene and now am wondering what I should do next?  

Richard any other great advice on grips and sights would be appreciated.

Dino:

I might suggest tracing the outline of your P7's original grips onto a plain sheet of paper, indicating the location of the screw holes, and sending it to Pete.  Also, I might suggest giving him a photograph or a carbon paper pressing of the inside of each grip to see if he can match your pistol's requirements.

Good luck in your effort!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
As always great advice Richard I will do just that.  By the way the gun shoots great!

Any advice on a neat set of sights?  Are they hard to install?