Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64902 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Time will tell. Who knows how much time, but I don't like the story 8 or 9 months has told so far. 😑

Ran another  couple of mags of the 124 GA through the solo today. Flawless again. Very accurate little gun.

Looks like Bruce on mouse gun addicts really likes the HST +p.

Any of you have experience with it in 9mm?

Anyone know where to get some?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1600 rounds and counting.
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
After another couple of range sessions I am now up to approx 1600 rounds.

The last time out it failed to eject 1 of the Georgia arms. I can accept that since it is not premium ammo.

It's really about as reliable as a Glock which is amazing for its small size.

I would actually say it is as reliable as a Glock (With the right ammo) except for the need for a overhaul at 1400 rounds and IF you feed it its prefered diet of premium 124 or heavier quality ammo.

Great little pistol. I've not babied it at all. Doesn't get excessive cleanings or any other weird pampering. Just shot and carried and cleaned when I can.

I'm still impressed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:13:40 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Ran another 100 flawless rounds through the solo today putting it at 1700.

I wanted to run it against the PM9 to see which would be the Prefered micro holster carry pistol for the better weather coming soon.

I do like the Kahr, but I definitely don't shoot it as well as the Solo even though the felt recoil on the solo is a decent amount more than the Kahr.

The main thing I attribute the difference in the two is the superior trigger of the striker fired pistol. After 1700 rounds this trigger is nigh unto amazing!

It's still a tank and I am still impressed.

Looks like when I carry a micro in the holster it will be the solo again this summer.

GREAT little gun.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2015, 06:30:54 AM »
You can't go wrong with either the Solo or PM9.

They are both as dependable as the day is long.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
Josh, Does the safety selector on your Solo stick out as far as it looks? Or is that an illusion?.  On the subject of PM-9, My wife has a "Black Rose" which is based on the PM-9. (She likes "pretty guns") But she does not like to shoot it as she has a hard time operating the slide, plus Kahr says not to rely on it until after 500 rounds have been run through it. Her regular carry is a Sig 238
"Titanium Rainbow edition", w/ Crimson Trace Laser guard on it. She loves it, never fails.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
Hey Chief,

The safety is manageable for me. Big enough, but not too big.

As for the operation for an average shooting woman, it's probably not a fit IMO because...

1) hard to rack slide
2) recoil is quite a bit IMO.
3) kind of a sensitive trigger. Especially after all the rounds it is a soft break.
4) did I mention the recoil? Not as bad as the R9. Not as good as the Kahr.

Those are my takes on it.

My Kahr pm9 has been money as far as reliability goes. My Kahr CW380 is one of the softest shooting 380's I've shot, but it struggles with reliability after 500 rounds and a trip to the factory. I read they like certain ammo, but it's not near and dear to me so I haven't invested the time to crack that code.

As for the 238, my mother in law has one and she loves to shoot it because...

1) The slide is easily racked
2) it's a soft shooter
3) accurate
4) pretty little gun

She does NOT CCW and I wonder if she did how that package would work for her considering the whole 1911 battery of arms thing.

Of course it would lend to options such as not carrying with one in the chamber or other "safe" concepts (since she can racke the slide) that would be better than not carrying at all.

All in all I think it's a good piece. I just am not comfortable/confident with the 1911 arrangement for me or my wife. That being said I'm not real comfortable with more than a G19 without one in the chamber for my wife where she is on her desire to get training time in. Just too many other important things in life right now for her.

Hope that helps chief.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
Chief

I am the one who suggested the Kimber to Josh.  I pocket carry daily with the safety off.  No problems.

Both the Solo and the PM9 are designed around +P ammo.  In my opinion, this is important with short barreled pistols.  The recoil springs are strong, the slides are not easy to rack.

I know that the manuals say either 200 or 250 round breakin periods.  I have a P380, a PM9, and a P40.  All have been 100% reliable right from the box.  I had literally dozens of partial boxes of handloads from accuracy testing my 952 Smith and I ran all of them through my PM9 without a failure.

I have only ran high quality SD type ammo through my P380 and have never experienced a failure.  If I recommend a semi auto for female CCW, the P380 is my first recommendation.

Personally, I would not be comfortable carrying a 238 cocked and locked.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
My wife is a big 1911 Fan and the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked. I have several Nighthawks and she has a Kimber raptor she really likes,she would rather fire a 1911 style pistol than any I guess. She really prefers the single action trigger. (She is a great shot, we have had lots of range time as well) But she everyday carries her P-238 and I have a P-938 next to me at my office.

Chief

Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »
My wife is a big 1911 Fan and the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked. I have several Nighthawks and she has a Kimber raptor she really likes,she would rather fire a 1911 style pistol than any I guess. She really prefers the single action trigger. (She is a great shot, we have had lots of range time as well) But she everyday carries her P-238 and I have a P-938 next to me at my office.

Chief

Well that changes everything then. We ain't talking about your average woman shooter IMO 😁

Have you guys looked at the new Kimber micro 380 1911 platform? I have not gotten a chance to fire one yet. It's pretty for sure, but not sure how it could hold up to the lil 238. The 238 has definitely been a popular pistol for sure. For good reason too. I wish I could get around my 1911 complex. Every time I strap one on i am too conscious of my gun all day long. In the end I know it's the same as a striker poised to release instead of a hammer, but their is something about seeing it. IDK. It's a good system, but I feel like it's kinda a dangerous one to bounce in and out of for me. I try to go mainly striker or double action only, but NOT between that and 1911 FOR ME.

And then there is the whole double action/single action thing. Momma Mia.

Too many guns too little time. Haha.

Well it's good to hear you guys have a great platform for you. Idk for sure, but I'm not sure how your wife would like the Solo. One thing for sure is that the slide is tough to rack for a gal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:43:47 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »

Chief

Sounds like you are a lucky man to me Chief. 

I have no problem with a 1911 being carried  cocked and locked.  With a 238 there would be too many snags for a pocket or purse to my thinking.  Fine for a drawer or night stand though.  If I am going to belt carry I would go to something a little larger though, something a little easier to get a hold of.

JMO
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:30:27 PM by MRC »

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »
 She carries in a few different purse. One is a Colorado Leather purse made in San Diego. (My briefcase is made by them as well <it is made of Bison>) and it has a built in holster. She also makes her own purses at times with conceal carry in mind. As well as if she buys one, she finds them with appropriate sections for her gun. She also like the Flashbang holster and can draw from it in about 1 1/2 seconds. I should also note that her favorite house gun is a S&W Governor with Winchester PDX-1 .410 shells loaded. S&W Performance Center did a nice trigger  job on the weapon as well.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »
I should also note that her favorite house gun is a S&W Governor with Winchester PDX-1 .410 shells loaded. S&W Performance Center did a nice trigger  job on the weapon as well.

Chief
[/quote]

The shooting the bull YouTube channel was very informative to me on the judge/governor using 410 shells out of a pistol.

After watching that I wished I had not sold my 3 inch magnum judge with Crimson trace and an alloy frame. Sounds like with the proper loadout it is a very effective self-defense tool for home or car.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Houston we have a problem.

Well for the second time in the time frame that I have carried the solo something troubling has happened.

As I went to unholster the pistol at the end of the day I noticed that the mag was sticking out of the bottom of the mag well. Whoops.

Not cool. Well I have been carrying the ol G27 most of the time again since. I really like my solo, but for IWB carry I'm afraid I've lost confidence in its ability to retain the mag. I don't think this would be a problem for pocket carry, but it's a bit to bulky for that for my pockets.

We'll see. Maybe I will try to get to the nitty gritty of why this is happening in my Crossbread holster. Not sure at this point though.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »

Well for the second time in the time frame that I have carried the solo something troubling has happened.

As I went to unholster the pistol at the end of the day I noticed that the mag was sticking out of the bottom of the mag well. Whoops.

Not cool. Well I have been carrying the ol G27 most of the time again since. I really like my solo, but for IWB carry I'm afraid I've lost confidence in its ability to retain the mag. I don't think this would be a problem for pocket carry, but it's a bit to bulky for that for my pockets.

We'll see. Maybe I will try to get to the nitty gritty of why this is happening in my Crossbread holster. Not sure at this point though.

I have never had that problem with my Solo, but I have always worried about it because of the ambidextrous mag release.  I even thought about having the right side button ground off but for three years I have not had a problem.

I guess it is kinda like light hits with a R9, I worry about it but have never had one.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »

I have never had that problem with my Solo, but I have always worried about it because of the ambidextrous mag release.  I even thought about having the right side button ground off but for three years I have not had a problem.

I guess it is kinda like light hits with a R9, I worry about it but have never had one.

I'm glad I posted this. That's a great fix MRC. I will get to it.

I really do not think this would be an issue if I pocket carried it. I think it's how it rides IWB for me. The ambi mag release sees some pressure from my belt occasionally.

Thanks for the reply.

John Stuart Mill