Author Topic: New Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact  (Read 9122 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
New Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »
My gunsmith carries a Caspian 3" 1911 Compact .45. His father carries the same but in a Titanium frame. Oh my God! A Titanium frame is so much lighter than all the rest...unbelievable feel! He now is building me one. I asked his father what he thought was the best 3" 1911 .45 out there for the money, besides the Caspians , which are pricey...especially in Titanium. Without hesitation, he said the Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact. So I bought one. Took it to the range a few days ago. Less recoil than the R9S. Weighs in at 28 ozs unloaded w/mag. The easiest .45 I have ever shot. It made me a better shot than I am. I will not say what my groupings were because they were the best I have ever shot. I love this gun, and I am back in love with 45s. The Galco Tuck 424 makes carrying this in an IWB effortless.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:01:37 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: New Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Compact
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »

Beautiful and very nice; however, I prefer a Glock 36 at 22+oz. unloaded for a carry .45. It is a different animal, for certain, and to each his own. The G-36 is also very accurate.

Offline mbscdh

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »
Great guns, just wish the Sigs and S&W's did not have the external extractors.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »
I too have a sig 1911 and it is by far the lightest and best shooting one I have in 45acp. I just love the way it feels in my hand compared to others. Congrats on you new purchase and enjoy!

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
Great guns, just wish the Sigs and S&W's did not have the external extractors.

Why?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
I haven't tried the Sig Ultra but will now look for one to try out.  I do have a Kimber 3" Ultra CDP that is essentially the  same unoaded weight...night sights, great feel, minimal recoil IMO, fires every time with whatever I feed it, very accurate. Trigger pull is a little light for carry, expecially if you are used to DAO small pistols, but overall a wonderful handgun. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
I have been shooting 45 ACP quite a bit lately.

I have been trying hard to like a Boberg XR45s and it has a lot going for it.  At 22 oz. with an empty magazine it is the lightest non polymer 45. It has 6+1 capacity, very good sights, and an 3.75" barrel all in the smallest package out there. With the reverse feed action, recoil is quite mild.  My problem is that the trigger reach is just too long for my small hands.  This coupled with the very  l o n g  trigger pull makes it difficult for me to shoot fast and with accuracy.

I also have been trying out a Springfield XDs 45.  At 21.5 oz empty, 7+1 capacity with an extended magazine and a 3.3" barrel it to has a lot of good features.  I prefer striker fired guns and the XDs has a very good trigger, easy to reach for me and has very good sights and accuracy.  I shoot it better than the Boberg.  Recoil is surprisingly easy to control.  It is a very nice gun and I would recommend it.

Do you guys carry your 1911's Cocked and Locked in your waist band and and belt holster?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »
Do you guys carry your 1911's Cocked and Locked in your waist band and and belt holster?

It's the only way I ever carry it.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »

Agree fully.  In an emergency you may not have the time to rack the slide.  Moreover, you may need the off hand for protection or to pull yourself into cover...impossible to rack at the same time.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »

its the only way i ever carry also....

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
In the same realm is the Springfield Range Officer Compact which is very highly regarded by hickok45, for example.
Springfield pistols bring a lot to the table in value and quality, imo.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:49:43 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »

Agree fully.  In an emergency you may not have the time to rack the slide.  Moreover, you may need the off hand for protection or to pull yourself into cover...impossible to rack at the same time.

I would certainly agree with you also.  That Galco 424 just looked like in might be uncomfortable to me.  I have never tried it though.  Good luck.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »

The January issue of "Combat Handguns" has some excellent reviews of the Springfield Range Officer Compact and the Boberg .45, among several other interesting pistols.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

The January issue of "Combat Handguns" has some excellent reviews of the Springfield Range Officer Compact and the Boberg .45, among several other interesting pistols.

Here is a review of the XR45s.  I really like the pistol except for the LOP being to long for me.

If you look at the picture of the gun in the reviewer's hand, notice how it lays back over the web of his hand.  As I shoot the pistol my hand turns so the corner of the pistol frame recoils onto the thumb joint in the web of my hand.  During a long shooting session I actually beat the joint raw before I quit and bruised the bone.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/12/boberg-xr45-s/#boberg-xr45-s-front

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

The Boberg doesn't work ergonomically for me, either. I picked one up in an upscale Dallas gun store over Christmas and the grip is too clunky for my small hands in addition to the LOP being too long. The only good thing I noticed was that the slide felt like it was on ball bearings when I pulled it back--not my cup of tea, though.