Author Topic: PT night sights update  (Read 8936 times)

Offline kerrynp5

PT night sights update
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:30:16 PM »
I just spoke to Jeri at Practical Tactical Night Sights. She said the technician believes he could even do tritium bars in the the rear, but will check with Eric for exact dimensions. She said the charge is $10 per tritium vial, 25 -35 dollars for milling, and $12 for shipping. I asked if there could be a problem with the vials breaking due to the recoil. Jeri said no, installations on 10 MM handguns with hot loads hasn't effected the vials.
 DON'T SEND YOUR SLIDES YET!
As soon as PT's techician advises that he can do the sights, with and exact price, I'll post a message here.
                                       Kerry

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: PT night sights update
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »
Thanks for the additional information.  This is really helpful!

Felt recoil varies considerably from shooter to shooter, but I found the Glock 29 subcompact 10mm I shot at a shooting range's Glock event to be more comfortable than my NAA G380.  Again, not sure how felt recoil translates into how the slide is affected.

Please continue to keep us posted.  If it can be done without vials breaking, it would be a wonderful option.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 02:42:07 PM by BillinPittsburgh »
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline kerrynp5

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:52:53 PM »
Bill, This company used to be located in Houston, since having moved to Las Vegas. Their warranty (15 years) and their reputation make this company perfect for the task.
You'll know as soon as I do.
                       Kerry

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 10:32:38 PM »
I may be stopping by to show my R9S to Jerrie on Monday.  It will be the first time they have seen one.

Offline kerrynp5

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 10:55:27 PM »
Great, thank you
    Kerry

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
I finally got to PT Night Sights and showed my R9S to Jerrie, et al.  They all were very impressed with the pistol.  Jerrie had all sizes of tritium tubes and believes something can be done.  She seemed very positive that at the very least a tritium tube could be "layed into" the front sight (sought of like a S&W Hi-Viz).  The bottom line is that I need to bring it back in for inspection by the head gunsmith.  He won't be back until Tuesday because he is at the Shot Show.  I will see him then and report back.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 12:36:47 PM »
What ever happened to the PT night sights??   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 11:38:30 PM »
I second that!  I would love to hear how this whole thing ended up.   I had to take out my USP compact tonight just for the night sights!

We should probably start a thread on "Great Ideas that Almost Happened" and include the infamous take down tool.  I hate being teased!   ;)

I noticed that MurrayNevada hasn't posted at all during the month of February.  I'll PM him tonight and see if he can post an update.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 08:40:09 PM »
Just a quick update.

Mike was kind enough to PM me back the next day and indicated that he was trying to catch up with the head gunsmith.  He will post an update when he gets an opinion back.

Offline dmobrien2001

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 09:49:03 PM »
Is there not enough room for front sight NS?
- Dan

Offline kerrynp5

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 04:48:29 PM »
About 6 weeks ago, Eric returned my call and said "Whether or not it fits, its not needed". Basically, If it isn't broken don't fix it! I believe he thinks that if it was needed he would have put them on at the factory. He didn't spare any expense to build this great pistol.
                       Kerry

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 09:13:38 AM »
Yep, that sounds like Eric... or Karl.

I thought night sights were more valuable until I took a class and did some night shooting.  The gun I used (Ruger SP-101) did not have night nights.  I did just fine.

The truth is that night sights help in that narrow situation where you target is lighted enough to be visible, but your sights are not.  In reality, if you target is lighted at all, you can usually see your sights shillouetted against it.  The night sights can just help you find the sights quicker.

In the class, I used a flashlight and had no problems picking up my sights against the well-lit target.

That being said... if you want them, there is no real reason not to have them.

Keep in mind that Eric and Karl don't really believe the R-9 needs sights at all, and only made an R-9s in response to consumer feedback.  If they think it doesn't need sights, they sure don't think it needs nightsights!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 11:50:41 AM »
The conditions in which night sights are helpful - enough light to see a target but maybe not other sights - are conditions I see every time I walk down a city street.

I also had about 14 hours of training in low light and no light training, and as a result of that training, I have drawn the opposite conclusion about the usefulness of tritium sights.  While I was able to hit my target if (as happened for some of my low light training) my front sight was dim enough to be substantially useless, I had an easier time hitting the target faster with good tritium sights.  That speed may be critical.

Of course the sights are easily visible when using the flashlight, but how long do you really want to have a flashlight on in a gunfight at night?
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Garish

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 02:15:20 AM »
So what was the outcome of the PT sight investigation???

Offline rtohio

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
Is there any progress on this thread? I miss my tritriums and would consider a reasonable expense in adding them to my R9S. Remember the best fishing lure is the design that catches the fisherman's eye, not the fish's eye. I feel much more comfortable with tritriums. That is enough for me.
RTOhio