Author Topic: Grip Removal  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Grip Removal
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 10:29:22 PM »
Kim:

You slipped in here under my radar screen.  Welcome to the Forum.  

You are right about the tight fit of the grip panels.  That, I believe, is yet another tribute to the extraordinary engineering which has gone into the Rohrbaugh design.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »
Bringing this topic forward, has anyone found an exact replacement grip screw in a "TORX" head? Length is unimportant as it is easy to shorten a screw.

Allen head (hex head) is WAY too old school as they round out rather easy.

PursuitSS
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:17:22 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »
Must confess I have not explored finding a Torx head tho for sure that would be preferable.

I am thinking that this would tho be right down the low end of Torx sizings and still therefore also require a good quality wrench.

As I have mentioned several times, the critical thing with the Allen config is - having and using only a high quality wrench - a genuine 1/16 (0.0625").  If the wrench used is even a thou undersize then deformation can occur and soon marr the head.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Monkeying Around...Was:..Grip Removal
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 04:51:06 PM »

Sheesh! I was just wondering what to do about that stripped grip screw on the right grip of my R9. Seems when I sent it in for 'tweaking' they sent  me a note gently ribbing me that my grip housing was dusty. So, dutifully, and fearfully, I decided to remove the grips at the next cleaning (got the left one off with no problem), but I believe they loctite'd my other grip screw to the extent that the screw stripped when applying the appropriate torx head to remove the screw.

So, how DO you get a stripped screw out? Do I have to send it to the factory? (Boo! Hiss!) Should I just leave it?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Tia

Peter Torx

I was told today, by Eric, the grip screw problem is SOLVED.  A higher grade[hardness] of screw will be used.  
 PLUS, It's a *Torq* design [five pointed Star]

This will [work] much better.
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Monkeying Around...Was:..Grip Removal
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »

So, how DO you get a stripped screw out? Do I have to send it to the factory? (Boo! Hiss!) Should I just leave it?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Back in the "early days" of 2004, I stripped one of my R9's grip screws and managed to remove it with a small damaged-screw remover inserted in a power drill set on slow reverse.  It's not a job for the faint of heart -- in fact, it was probably a reckless act on my part.  Anyway, luck favored me that day.  The screw came out with no damage being inflicted on the grip panel or frame.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:32:22 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
You can drill it and use an "easy out" screw removal tool that fits into tap handle.  Make sure to tap on the tap handle with a mallet to seat the easy out snugly.  You could drill the head off and then cut a small slot in what is left and use a small common screw driver tip to remove it or a pair of good locking pliers.  You could also use a dremel tool and use it to remove the head and then go back and cut a slot in the screw shank with a dremel cut off disc or use pliers.  If you are not handy, go and see someone we is.  The average bear will make a mess of this.  I hope this helps.
Respectfully,
Jim

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
You would think that Rohrbaugh would have gotten the idea that the right grip screws were in too tight after all of the stripped screws.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."