Author Topic: good news    (Read 15338 times)

Offline jaycee

good news  
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
Hello to all, I just spoke to Karl Rohrbaugh, today.  Changes on ammo selections and lube.    Ii is no longer advisable to use 'Super lube' as the preferred choice of lubricant for the R9S. Any good oil e.g. militec,eezox,pf 10,otis is highly recommended instead of the 'super lube.' The preferred ammo selection- american eagle 115fmj and winchester 115gr.jhp. which you can purchase at walmart. is the ammo most recommended by Karl. In fact he advises not to use the gold dots anymore. A customer was experiencing a lot of problems with his rohrbaugh and he experimented with a lubricant made by 'Hornady' that alleviated all his problems.In other words he discontinued the use of 'Super lube' and his gun started to perform flawlessly. I hope this is the cure for those ailing r9 handguns.New company brochures will be printed,shortly, with certain recommendations. ;)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: good news  
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »
Well - I guess after all I won't get my butt kicked - after promoting slide lube as an oil rather than grease! :D

I still have no prob re grease in the other recommended areas.  Looks like I will have to soon make a change to my various files containing lube info on the FAQ.  I'll hang on until it is declared as 100% ''official"

I still have 124 GD's as my carry ammo so - as long as that runs for me will probably stay with it.  That said I will probably re-evaluate the Win 115's out of interest.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:51:48 PM »
Are the recomended Winchester 115GR JHP's the Silvertips or does Winchester make a non Silvertip JHP?

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
I am guessing Silvertips Mike, which I think Karl has mentioned before.

You can tho get JHP in WWB offerings - well in .45acp anyways.  In fact I seem to recall I did test some WWB JHP's way back.

Yes just checked and still have some - 147's.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Paveway

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:38:26 PM »
Yep, I test fired some Win USA 115 JHP's and they worked fine once I got the pup broken in. I just bought some more Win USA 147 JHP's last nite at Wallyworld. Those big buggers tested ok also.

YAY! I've got some Militec already! Problem solved!

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:58:38 PM »
I am wondering where the heck the Fed 115s came from?Thats a FMJ correct?
OK for practice,I understand that,my pups have always liked the FMJ Winnie White Box!!

As to the superlube,I have never used as much as reccommended,no problems either way..I have tryed a couple of other lubes instead of the Mobil 1,for a cycle,no apparent difference for me..

I currently have GD 115s in my carry pup,feed fine..

Now I do understand that ammo can change from lot to lot..

If this is the case of a "fairly" big reccomendation,we as owners and potential owners,need the "poop" pretty quick..

IMO

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline jaycee

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »
Hello mike, the Winchester ammo that Karl spoke about, has been mentioned on several ammunition topics before, not on this site,but the reports of this particular ammo,is very good.I have a particular report from 'Old grandpa' shortened 'OG' stating as follows-the biggest surprise was the Winchester 115gr.'Personal Protection' USA white box. I was really impressed with expansion and penetration of this low cost ammo.Taken from a report entitled'Short barrel 9mm Hollowpoint tests.' This was a test performed by 'OG' using a Kahr pm 9. And showing pictures of the bullet expansion along with other ammo tested. The surprise was that this ammo can be obtained for about $11.00 at walmart for 50 rounds.,also taken from the report.  My bottom line this is very good ammo. :)

Offline jaycee

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 09:37:02 PM »
Yes Brenden, the Fed.American Eagle 115gr.fmj is an fmj ammo.  The other Winchester referred to is an 115gr.jhp ammo.I now recall  a report that I have read comparing this particular ammo with the 'Winchester silver tips' and the report stated that this low cost ammo was equal to in performance to the 'silvertips.' both made by the same Winchester Company. Karl also condemned   the 'Golden Sabers' along with the 'Gold Dots.' I was distinctly told not to use the golden sabers or gold dots anymore in my gun,and to stop using the 'super lube.' My opinion is use what ever ammo works in your gun and if you do have a problem then adhere to what the gun maker is saying. :)

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 09:43:43 PM »
Ok well,

My R9's don't like the Silvertips and they don't like the 4 types of fmj's I have tried and I am pessimistic about finding anything else that works 100% in my R9's but, I will attempt to locate 1 box each of the WWB 115GR FMJ's and 115GR JHP's and see how they do.  Who knows, I have spent a small fortune trying ammo and then buying enough of the ammo that does work, it could be my luck that the WWB 115GR FMJ's and JHP's work great and are cheap to boot.

One good thing I can say about the purchase of my R9's is that I have learned a great deal about handgun ammo!!!

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 11:17:02 PM »
For what it is worth:

Quite some time ago, someone posted an article on the North American Arms forum about how the lubricant issued by the military in Iraq was collecting sand and causing weapons to jam.  Soldiers were writing to their families and asking them to send Militec.  This is what I presently use on all of my guns, and is what I will use on my Rohrbaugh when I get it next week.

Glad I found this thread:  I'll start reliability testing with Winchester Silvertips and stick with them if they work.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
Bill and all,

Last I heard was they were requesting graphite.  Is Militec not an oil or what.  Someone give me the short and sweet on Militec please.  I would appreciate it.

We use Superlube at my work.  It is very slick but other than that it is still just an oil.  I never used it on my R9's.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »
Mike,

I prefer and use Militec oil, but you can also get the grease.

When the base metal heats up, there is said to be a change in the metal, and it becomes slippery to the touch.

Typically, you apply the oil to the pistol and heat it with a hair dryer.

You will receive free samples upon request.

http://www.militec1.com/

Bill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:26:46 PM »
Bill,
I looked when you posted before on the product..
Let me know how you get a freebie??

I bought some thru Brownells awhile back and it seems to work fine,but I will always take a free sample!! ;D

Thanks,

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »
Brenden - I have no link to hand but Google for Militech and if you find their site then hopefully some mention of samples.  I spoke to a very helpful guy once about their grease.

Mike - AFAIK Militech is a true lubricant but they claim that additives within help an ''embedding'' effect after heating.  I personally would never recommend graphite - tho I am no tribologist.  It has a means of reducing friction very nicely but IMO does NOT under pressure, give the support that true lube molecules can and do.

We'd not I think want graphite 'lubricating' our bottom end auto bearings where pressures are immense.  Slides will not have those loads of course but - I'll stick to true petrochemical based and synthetic oils - even Mobil1 will I feel do well too.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 08:57:08 PM »
Militec is ok, but it's a thicker oil than FP-10 IMHO.  
I purchased a huge bottle of both and now use FP-10 exclusively on all my handguns.  
Cleaning is also much quicker with FP-10 as it seems like the dirt & residue never really takes hold.  I can practically wipe my 1911's clean without even using solvent as nothing builds up/cakes on.

Breakfree CLP still can't be beat on the AR.

I've shot prone in the sand with both CLP & Militec, and you have to literally wipe each part bone DRY with Militec and it still gathers a fair amount of sand on the bolt.  The aerosol Breakfree is by far the best product for sand IMHO.  Spray the parts down, let them drip & dry for about an hour, and re-assemble.