Author Topic: good news    (Read 15295 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: good news  
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »
Militec is ok, but it's a thicker oil than FP-10 IMHO.  
I purchased a huge bottle of both and now use FP-10 exclusively on all my handguns.  
Cleaning is also much quicker with FP-10 as it seems like the dirt & residue never really takes hold.  I can practically wipe my 1911's clean without even using solvent as nothing builds up/cakes on.

Breakfree CLP still can't be beat on the AR.

I've shot prone in the sand with both CLP & Militec, and you have to literally wipe each part bone DRY with Militec and it still gathers a fair amount of sand on the bolt.  The aerosol Breakfree is by far the best product for sand IMHO.  Spray the parts down, let them drip & dry for about an hour, and re-assemble.

TXAGGIECHL,

I too use only BF CLP on the AR..
Has always worked for me,but I do not shoot in "all" conditions!!

Chris,Bill gave the site addy,I just can never find the "spot" for the free sample?!! ;D No biggie..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 09:21:05 PM »
Brenden,

I can no longer find the free sample offer, except to government and troops.

I obtained mine quite some time ago by sending an email to them and requesting a free sample.

Immediately after trying the free sample, I went ahead and bought a bottle.

The only problem I ever had was when some got on the slide and it became very slippery and hard to pull back.

For what it's worth, HK recommends that you do not use such products because they might contaminate the primers.  The warning was in my USP .45 owner's manual.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »
[size=13] HK recommends that you do not use such products because they might contaminate the primers.  [/size]

I have seen that before Bill - but to be honest - the darned gun would have to be dripping with about 10 times too much applied to cause a risk IMO ;)

Oh yes - CLP - I still make good use of that also - just not as much as I did once.  My general approach to gun lube is ''less is more'' - and would rather do a wipe down and relube more often - than ''drown'' the darned things :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 10:16:05 PM »
Chris,

I feel the same as you.  You would have to apply an excessive amount.

I have usually treated my brand new handguns with Militec.

Bill

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »
Well I won't be taking my R9s anywhere near a sandbox.  Mine lives it's life in it's holster and the range is reasonably clean.  

I have been using TW-25B and Militec 1 on every pistol I own except the R9s for years and it has always worked quite well.  I hesitate to use oil exclusively on a carry gun for two reasons.  First, it tends to run off.  If the gun spends lots of time riding in a holster nose down, that's where the oil will end up.  Second, if the oil drips down into the magazine then it can harm your primers, making them unreliable.

So that's why I use a combination of grease and oil.  I'm glad the official recomendation for superlube has been lifted.  I always thought it was too thick and seemed to hold dirt.  I'll use what I have left on my bicycle chain in the spring.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 11:27:38 PM »
jarcher,

Thanks very much for passing along the new factory recommendations about lubrication and ammunition.

I hope the literature will be updated quickly, and appear on the firearms website.

Bill

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 11:51:22 PM »
R9S Carry,

I agree with your opinion about graphite but when it comes to the military in the field/in under fire conditions I think that it does not matter what lubricant is going to preserve your firearm the longest.  You use what works and when your gun breaks you get a different one from whoever is assigned to that duty in your unit.  The "average" private, if there is such, is not interested in preserving his rifle for posterity.  That went out with the Korean War.  I have heard of one or two people who got their very own Korean War Garand back through the CMP.  But anyway, IMO in a dry dusty environment like the sandbox, graphite is a VERY GOOD lubricant for guns.  After all we are not talking about a Mauser 98 or a Springfield here.  Modern military arms are not designed to be rock solid as they were in WW1.  They are deployed with a definate and known service life expectancy untill the expected TBO, time before overhaul is reached.

On another but related note, the M-16 is a piece of crap compared to the AK-47 or AK-74 series of rifles.  Actually, the U.S. hasn't had the best service rifle since the M-1 Garand.  The FN-FAL was much better than the M-14, IMO.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »
I read jaycee's post then checked Rohrbaugh's website.  Not that I don't trust jaycee's account, but I always like to verify things for myself.....(I am a Ronald Reagan fan!)
There is a new disassembly / lubrication manual available for download as an Adobe file.
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/downloads/DisassemblyLubeBroch.pdf

The photos showing where to put grease now say "lube with grease only!"  And the caption now states [size=16]"Use quality grease on the barrel and frame as shown.  It is imperative that you use grease in these areas.  Failure to do so will cause the frame to wear prematurely and void your warranty.  You may use quality gun oil for the rest of the firearm."[/size]  

My conclusion:  I'll stick with grease, though I may switch from Superlube to a name-brand gun grease.  I have only enough Superlube left to last another 100 years! 8)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 12:45:34 AM »
On another but related note, the M-16 is a piece of crap compared to the AK-47 or AK-74 series of rifles.  

Mike

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on this statement. The M-16 is one of the most reliable weapons EVER developed! It is without a doubt the most accurate service weapon out to at least 400 yards ever fielded. The early jamming problems that occured in 'Nam were related to use of ball powder instead of the IMR powder the weapon was designed around.

I carry one in harms way on duty and feel VERY SAFE! I know that it will perform if the need comes. My personal M-16 has fired OVER 25,000 rounds with only four malfuncions (2 magazine related, two DEAD primers)!

PursuitSS

NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 01:07:51 AM »
Not to pull this off topic, but I agree.  I'll take a M16/AR15 any day over an AK variant when you need to make your shots count.

I've shot numerous AK's and they are very user unfriendly.  Their operation; from sights, safety, stock, and magazines leave much to be desired.  Not to mention your basically pissing into the wind shooting an AK beyond about 150 meters.

IMHO, an AK is at best a CQB spray & pray weapon for use when  collateral damage isn't a concern (e.g. innocent 3rd parties).

Back to lubes.  All this time I thought Super Lube was a specially designed gun grease, yet I just did a search and it looks like a plain-Jane all purpose synthetic grease.  Not that an all purpose synthetic grease is bad; I was just expecting something a little different as I've read this really isn't that good of a grease.  

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 01:34:34 AM »
I'll take an M16 over an AK any and every day of the week.  In addition to the comments above concerning powder and accuracy, many of the early Viet Nam problems with it were related to the failure to have a chrome-lined barrel.  When Mcnamera’s people were insisting on deployment of the M-16, the Army, which had a few hundred years experience with firearms, insisted on some changes to the original design, including a chrome-lined barrel.  These changes were denied, and the results are now well known.

I never saw combat but in training I never ever had a problem with my beat up M16.  I hit the 400 meter target nearly every single time.  Great firearm.

As for the R9s lube, I just cleaned all the superlube out of my R9s and replaced it with TW-25B and Militec 1.  I guess I’ll have to use this change as an excuse to get to the range soon.

Offline jaycee

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 01:38:24 AM »
Hello Sslater, if you read my post correctly, I stated that a new company's brochure will shortly be forthcoming,with new recommendations. The brochure that you downloaded is an outdated brochure. I am again stating that Karl rohrbaugh told me to discontinue use of the -super lube. He also mentioned to me that he threw away all his supplies of -super lube. Whether you want to believe what I have stated that is your choice, I did not make this up. :)

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 03:20:04 AM »
Jaycee, The last we spoke, Karl also stated changing the recoil spring replacement scheduale to 100 rounds. Did he mention he would be listing that in the update? Im just curious. Oh and did you by any chance remind him of my grips?

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 04:06:42 AM »
I must admit I'm a little concerned about the ammo changes.  Karl has been talking about silvertips being the best choice for a long time, but I do recall him telling me that Winchester FMJ was not recomended.  From a discussion with Eric I know that they make minor tweaks to the pistols over time to improve them, which is fine.  

But why should the recomended ammo change, unless the ammo changes?  What caused the change and why does any good quality ammo not work?

Offline jaycee

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »
Hello Jarcher, good question, I was waiting for someone to pose this same question. Here is the answer (by the way,during our discussion,I told him that I will be taking notes about the discussion) . He told me that his personal findings concluded that as 9mm ammo,  the Gold Dots and the Remington Golden Sabers, did not come up to the actual specifications of a true 9mm ammunition. He went further to explain in technical   jargon the reason and I got lost in the technical jargon. Some weeks ago, he did mention to me that he had a meeting with a particular well known ammo manufacturer to come up  with ammunition that will be tailored(so to speak) to work with the R9 handgun.  I do hope that I have given you a good reply to your question. :)