Author Topic: R380 Shooting High  (Read 10573 times)

Offline Lancesnarr

R380 Shooting High
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
Hello All,

This is my second "New Topic" post, but my first under the R380 section.  I purchased an R380 for my wife for Christmas.  I have an R9, but the recoil was too much for her.  We've gone to the range and shot her R380 twice now, putting about 100 rounds through in total.  She loves it.  Very smooth and easy to handle, not to mention that it's a beautiful piece.  

However, it shoots about 6" high at 10'.  Elevation is the only issue.  It's dead on center at 6" high.  My R9 on the other hand is dead on center at 10'.  I have continually been amazed at the accuracy of my R9.  I had hoped the R380 would be the same.

Given that the sites are fixed, is there anything that can be done to adjust for elevation?  I have sent an e-mail to Rohrbaugh about this three days ago and am waiting for a reply.  I had a great experience with Rohrbaugh Service when I had to send my R9 back for some warranty work when I first bought it.  So, I have no doubt they will reply.  I am just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for me.

My wife loves the gun.  I just wish it was as accurate as my R9.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Lance

Offline rodell

Re: R380 Shooting High
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:17:29 PM »
I'm sure the Rohrbaugh people are at the S.H.O.T show.

What ammo are you using?  You may have to adjust to move the point of impact. I don't have the Rohrbaugh 380 (just the 9) but I do have other small 380's and had to try a few different loads to regulate the sights.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:18:56 PM by rodell »
Only one gun from enough ...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
I've found this target to be help0ful on occasion:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:36:06 PM »
I shot cheap PMC Bronze and top of the line Hornady Critical Defense.  Same results.  I'm positive on the 6" high as I benched it up for the last couple of mags.  

With my R9, it just doesn't matter what I shoot through it.  It's dead accurate at 10'.

Truthfully, at 10', a 6" high shot is probably still in the kill range.  But, it sure would be nice if it could be adjusted.  I have no idea how that would be done on a Rohrbaugh with fixed sites.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »

As Rodell says, aim six inches lower; very frustrating but effective if you have minimized other variables.

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
Is it possible to raise the front site a bit by attaching a piece of sculpted material on top of the existing site?  I really have no idea of how to do this.  Just posing the question.  But, it seems that it might be possible to tastefully extend the height of the front site with perhaps a night site material of some sort.  Taking the front site up would result in aiming lower when acquiring the target.

Anybody ever tried anything like this?  

Lance

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »
Lance,
   I would think trying to add anything to the front sight would be difficult. First being taller could pose a snag issue. Second it would probably need to be built up with weld and ground to shape, and then require refinishing the slide, very costly and I doubt if it would be worth it.
   I think the factory will probably have a solution to the problem.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
The entire team was at the SHOT Show all last week.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:19:05 PM »
Just spoke with Maria and have arranged to return the gun for warranty work.  I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
R380 arrived back from Rohrbaugh Firearms yesterday.  I will need to call Maria to find out what they did, as there was no letter enclosed.  But, I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots at the range - hopefully this Saturday!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Good luck!  Let us know.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Lancesnarr,
Please don't feel like you were overlooked or given the fast shuffle. As far as I know they never put anything in writing on warranty work but the quality is there when it passes through the shop.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
R380 arrived back from Rohrbaugh Firearms yesterday.  I will need to call Maria to find out what they did, as there was no letter enclosed.  But, I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots at the range - hopefully this Saturday!

Lance.  Great that the .380 is back.  Look forward to the range results.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lancesnarr

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
OK, finally had a chance to shoot the R380.  Put 100 rounds through it, various ammo from Top of the Line Hornady, to PMC FMJ to Remington UMC crap.

The good news is the accuracy has improved from 6" high at 10' to 1.5" high at 10'.  I shot it.  My buddy who is also an Ohio certified law enforcement hand gun instructor shot it.  And I benched it.  Results were good, tight groups in all cases.  Dead on target on the horizontal plane, and 1.5" high elevation wise.

Given the size and purpose of this little pup, I can accept that.

The bad news is that this gun was a gift to my wife, and my personal R9 is dead on at 10'.  So, I have to endure the wife's never ending "how come your gun is more accurate than mine?!"  Oh well, if she ever loses her temper with me I'll just know to duck!

Seriously, overall I'm pleasee.  The gun did smoke stack a couple of times during the last 20 rounds or so.  It was pretty dirty by then and still in the break-in phase.

Oh, I ordered and just received a special purse for conceal carry for my wife.  I think she's already forgot about the gun and is obsessed with the purse!  Will try to post a pic later.  I also just received a pocket holster for my R9 from Jim at Hidden Holsters (hiddenholsters.net).  I've very pleased with it too.  I'll try to post a pic of it too under the R9 Category.

All for now.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
Lance.  Good to hear the R380 is much better on shooting so high.  Thanks for the information.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln