Author Topic: No fun a the range yesterday!  (Read 4614 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
No fun a the range yesterday!
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
Went to an indoor range yesterday a.m. with outside temp in N. Florida 38 degrees.  It is a range behind a gunshop...no climate control and with a huge blower behind the shooter forcing fumes downrange to the exhaust while forcing air down the back of your neck.  I'd never been there before (hadn't shot my pistols since May having just moved here) and was underdressed, freezing.  Fired my Kimber Ultra DCPII and placed all shots in or within 1" of a 2" circle at 20 yards..felt good about that.  Then shot the Boberg XR9S at 15 yards with good groupings but slightly high and right repetetively...the sights perhaps?

By then I was really cold.  Took out the R9 Covert that is my EDC with Gold Dot 124 loaded.  My arthritic hands/wrists were really cold by then and I had a little shivering.  Fired the first shot at 10 yards at a human silhouette, aimed for the mid-thorax but hit the belly button.  The recoil felt like someone hit my hand with a hammer.  Two more shots barely touched the target due to massive flinching, so I quit.  For the moment am carrying the Boberg in a Superfly front pocket.  Need to get back to the range when it warms up and try to handle that flinch!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
Re: No fun a the range yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »
BackupR9,
 Hey next time maybe try the R9 with fresh hands, I always shoot just 1 or 2 mags only and shoot the R9 first before taxing the hands with other my other pistol. This seems to help me...I also have found using a snap-cap dummy round and dryfire practice helped out a lot!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »
Got back to the range today...much warmer and wore a shooting glove.  Took MitchP's advice and fired the R9 first, using front sight at 7 yards with rapid fire...DID REAL GOOD!  I just need to remember that I shoot the shorties off the front sight in 3 shot bursts and that's the only way I should practice.  Anyway, the Covert is back in my pocket...just love that little jewel!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
It was cold here in Sarasota too...60.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
How terrible for you!   ;D
38 degrees here on Amelia Island in northeast Florida at 7:30 a.m.
At my recently abandoned home in east Tennessee there is 18" of snow and windchill -4 degrees this a.m. I am told.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis