Author Topic: Pocket holster newbie question.  (Read 5321 times)

Offline bigdave

Pocket holster newbie question.
« on: July 10, 2004, 06:52:17 PM »
I've never used a pocket holster.  Is it relatively easy to remove the gun without the holster coming out also?

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
Re: Pocket holster newbie question.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:03:23 PM »
 Yes and no. I know that sounds like a lawyer, but hear me out. Remember all holsters are "relative" to your needs, the size of your pocket and the size of the firearm. An Uncle Mike's "soft" holster will be the absolute "easy", but at a "price." Take off running and see if the holster and/or gun stays in your pocket. Need to ever "drop your pants" in a public restroom and wonder if the gun would fall out? Now for "certain" applications Uncle Mike's work great and you can't beat the price. For an R9s, however, RJ Hedley makes a pocket holster that I can draw when wearing suit pants or jeans. The pistol is concealled and will not "fall out" if rough activity takes place. The older you get, the more convient pocket carry becomes. "One" of the "common" sense rules of gunfighting says: to ccw a weapon on the same spot of your body at all times. Pocket carry makes this easy.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 10:54:03 PM »
This, of couse, is one of the key issues with a pocket holster.  The fact is, pocket holsters don't require a lot of retention.  The pocket keeps the gun secure -- the holster merely holds it in the proper position and breaks up the shape.

Drawing from a pocket holster, like anything else, requires some practice.  You may need to "push off" the holster as you draw, or snag the pocket edge -- it depends on the design.  Leather holsters that are too tight can be loosened up relatively easily.  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 11:11:54 PM »
bigdave:

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

Second, to answer your question:  Yes.

Pocket carry is an acquired art.  The Rohrbaugh 9mm is about the best reason yet to acquire that art.  And you have at least three gunleather masters who frequent this board and would be pleased to provide the pocket holster of your choice.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 02:50:27 PM »
One of the things I like about pocket carry, besides ease of carry, is that I can have my hand on my gun without giving away the fact that I have one. Most other modes of carry don't allow this. Once I have my hand gripping the gun, if I have to draw, it's pretty easy.
I know situations happen very quickly in most cases and having my hand on my gun isn't always possible, but I like this option.
If I go belt carry with my primary, I almost always have a pocket backup.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
doctordun:

You express it very well.  I use the same technique.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 08:26:29 AM »
So I would assume that it makes sense to own different pocket holsters for different types of pants? Is there such a thing as a good "all around" pocket holster that will work well with most any type of pants? Probably not...
Are there any reviews of various pocket holters that would point out their strengths and weaknesses?
Since there seem to be so many variations of the pocket holster, and since I'm unexperienced with pocket carry, it would be nice to have some practical information like this so I could possibly avoid randomly buying holsters to find one that works well for me.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:56:13 AM »
"   it would be nice to have some practical information like this so I could possibly avoid randomly buying holsters to find one that works well for me."  harrydog

It would only be that persons opinion.  You still wouldn't know if YOU would like it..  Most holster makers offer a "money back" if not pleased.    And it's just that.  
RJ=

Offline packin_heat

• Sultan of Swing, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 01:03:40 PM »
yeah you want the holster tight enough to hold the gun, but loose enough for the gun to come out. You can push it off with your thumb, or many pocket holsters have a hook that catches inside the pocket to keep it in. Some are also made to grip the inside of the pocket, so you kinda push the holster against your leg as you draw.
"Shop smart, shop S-Mart"
"Pphh...English, who needs that? I'm never going to England!"
"I didn't go to work today. The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns".

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 08:27:51 AM »
"   it would be nice to have some practical information like this so I could possibly avoid randomly buying holsters to find one that works well for me."  harrydog

It would only be that persons opinion.  You still wouldn't know if YOU would like it..  Most holster makers offer a "money back" if not pleased.    And it's just that.  
True enough, but it could still help. For example, after reading countless reviews of IWB holsters it seems that there are a few that are almost universallly liked, such as the Brommeland Max-Con V and the Sparks Versa Max. While that's still no guarantee that I would like those holsters personally, the odds are certainly in favor of it.
At any rate, how do I decide if I need the Hedley RB-F/S or the RB-F/LE? Is it pocket size that determines which one will fit best?

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 09:27:03 AM »

At any rate, how do I decide if I need the Hedley RB-F/S or the RB-F/LE? Is it pocket size that determines which one will fit best?

I think that's pretty much it.  If all the pants you're going to pocket carry with have larger, squarer-bottom pockets, you'll want that LE version.  Personally, I've found the non-LE version to be more versatile for my general Dockers/Jeans/shorts wardrobe.

However, if you wear a lot of cargo pants and want to keep the gun in one of those kind of pockets, you might find the LE better.  There are some brands of jeans that also have more square-bottomed front pockets.  While the non-LE will work in those shaped pockets, it won't be as stable (i.e., it may tip putting the gun butt at an angle not effective for drawing).

Personally, I'd recommend trying the non-LE version first.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 12:47:58 PM »
 "....how do I decide if I need the Hedley RB-F/S or the RB-F/LE? Is it pocket size that determines which one will fit best? " Harrydog

The Standard holster is 4" across the bottom, the LE is 4- 1/2".  

The  LE and Std. holster can be ordered wider or narrower.  I'm afaid this will only make it harder for you to decide,  but the choice is available.
RJ=

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 01:09:36 PM »
Thanks. That helps.   :)