Author Topic: Magazines-how many and when to rotate?  (Read 6296 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Magazines-how many and when to rotate?
« on: February 08, 2006, 09:12:18 PM »
Larry Seecamp, on his forum, states that current spring technology is such that rotating Seecamp magazines is something you do not need to do. In fact, he goes on to say that it is gentler on the spring to stay compressed/loaded in a gun for an extended period of time than it is to exercise it by firing.

Is this true of the R9 springs? if not, how often should they be rotated and how many magazines should one ideally own?

Thanks. Dick
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:46:45 PM by rWt »
Welcome home

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: Magazines-how many and when to rotate?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »
I own 4, and rotate about every month -- Rohrbaugh says they've never had a mag spring problem, but I do it anyway.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 12:27:05 AM »
Dick - well I have four mags - just because I have the two guns!!

I confess now - these days - I really do not rotate as I used to - tho I do change carry ammo now and again by shooting it up - so in that respect the springs get a short ''relaxation"!!

Honestly - I do not see mag springs today fatiguing - just think of automotive valve springs - sometimes some are left under full compression for ages when a vehicle is left unused - they do not seem to be compromized!!

More important for me is magazine maintainance - whereby if there is likelehood of crud ingress, then strip and clean is good - that follower wants to be super free and smooth.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »
Larry Seecamp, on his forum, states that current spring technology is such that rotating Seecamp magazines is something you do not need to do. In fact, he goes on to say that it is gentler on the spring to stay compressed/loaded in a gun for an extended period of time than it is to exercise it by firing.

Is this true of the R9 springs? if not, how often should they be rotated and how many magazines should one ideally own?

Thanks. Dick
With all due respect to Mr. Seecamp, who I'm sure knows much more about firearms than I do, a spring is a spring! No significant advances have been made in spring technology. When a spring is compressed, it becomes subject to fatigue and the longer that it remained compressed, the greater stress will be placed on the spring.

Wolff Springs, who should know a thing or two about spring technology, makes this point very clear on their website. That said, this is what I do ...

I have six mags and they are divided into three sets of twos. One set is a virgin set. A second set is used during the Spring and Fall while the third set is used during the Summer & Winter -- basicly, I altenate mags every season (three months). I also load to only 80% of capacity. So ...
    [*] a 6 round mag is loaded with 5 rounds (6 x .8 = 4.8)
    [*] a 7 round mag is loaded with 6 rounds (7 x .8 = 5.6)
    [*] a 8 round mag is loaded with 6 rounds (8 x .8 = 6.4)
    [*] a 9 round mag is loaded with 7 rounds (9 x .8 = 7.2)
    [*] a 10 round mag is loaded with 8 rounds (10 x .8 = 8.0)
    [*] a 11 round mag is loaded with 9 rounds (11 x .8 = 8.8)
    [*] a 12 round mag is loaded with 10 rounds (12 x .8 = 9.6)
    [*] a 13 round mag is loaded with 10 rounds (13 x .8 = 10.4)
    [*] a 14 round mag is loaded with 11 rounds (14 x .8 = 11.2)
    [*] Etc.[/list] ... this is based on the what happened in Vietnam. If one recalls, when the M16's were first issued, they came with 20 round mags and the soldiers were experiencing numerous problems. They were advised to load the mags with only 16 rounds (16/20 = 80%) and most of the problems went away.

Offline rtw

• Expert
    « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:44:41 PM »
    Thanks for the advice.

I carried an M16 in Vietnam in 1968-69. We loaded no more than 18 rounds and whenever we got the chance, we picked up new magazines (and ammo) and turned in the old ones.

Welcome home

RA_Bakken

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
    I own 4 mags, and keep three loaded at a time.  When using the R9 as primary, I'll have two spare mags loaded in a K&D mag holder I've converted to a pocket mag holder.

I know I know...THREE mags, you say?  Guess I'm a holdout from the days of the hi-cap WonderNines!  :-)

Routinely cycle in the unloaded mag...but on no specific rotation.

For some reason, I want to buy a couple more mags...just in case something happens in 20 years, and the mags get hard to find, etc.

Safe shooting...

--Spectro

Offline sslater

• Master
    « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 06:45:50 PM »
    I just bought a new magazine directly from Rohrbaugh (now have four mags).  I rotate my mags every month when I go to the range.  The two that were in use get cleaned and the two that were "resting" get loaded, fired, and kept in service until the next range session.

There was a thread last year about potential for cracks to form on the rear surface of the magazine where the weld terminates.
    Happy to see that the new magazine has a much better fabrication technique.  The entire rear surface (where the primer end of the cartridge sits) is now finished after welding.  You have to disassemble the magazine and look inside to see where it is welded.  It looks as good as my Sig magazines.
    Way to go Rohrbaugh Bros!  ;D

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
    « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:31:53 PM »
    I'm glad to hear that, Steve.  It sounds like a nice improvement.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
    • Nemo me impune lacessit.
    « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
    When I came out of the Army back in the 1960s, I rotated magazines every month -- 30 days on, 30 days off.  Now, I do it twice a year -- when I change my clocks.  (I also use the occasion to change the batteries in my smoke alarms and in the key pad of my gun safe.)

As for number, I have four R9 mags.
    « Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:28:20 AM by Richard_S »
    (1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
    « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
    Steve,

I just got a new magazine from Rohrbaugh today.  The back of the magazine looks great.  They did a nice job on the weld.

Way to go, Rohrbaugh.

Bill

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
    « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 03:03:55 AM »
    I do not rotate magazines.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:38:19 PM by PsychoSword »