Author Topic: Recoil Spring Life?  (Read 5887 times)

Offline willow

Recoil Spring Life?
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:53:49 PM »
I have read on this forum that the recoil spring life is 500 rounds.  When I called the Rohrbaugh office to order recoil springs I was told the recommendation is to replace at 200 rounds.  I am now officially confused.  Please help.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Recoil Spring Life?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 08:12:38 PM »
True enough, 500 was the original life recommended but IIRC the modified duration was 250.

I think this has been done to play safe, and probably to try and make sure no gun gets run on too long, allowing it to get beat up by excessive slide travel in recoil.

Many of us have discussed - and I feel - that when replacing a spring with new, a slight ''set'' can be achieved by leaving slide open (put empty case in between barrel and breech face) - and also some manual cycling.  This can I think take the 'edge'' off a new spring so full slide travel is good from get go when shooting.

Getting a spring excatly ''right'' in such a small gun has to have been difficult and necessarily incorporate some compromize - thus on tight side when new but allowing also for some shortening after a period of use.  I do think the halving of spring life is a ''play-it-safe'' approach.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline willow

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I do not plan to shoot the R9 as much as I will carry it so I will go with the 250.  That way, I am playing it safe with the R9 and in a self defense situation, I am playing it safe with my well being.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »
Willow:

Good decision.  At $4.99 each, plus S&H, replacement recoil springs are a real bargain for the peace of mind afforded.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Oregon_Dan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the current Rohrbaugh recommended recoil spring life is 100 rounds.  For the cost of the springs, it still isn't a major expense, unless one practices a lot with their pup....

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
100 is correct, however we are dealing with 1950s spring
technology in a 2007 pistol. Chrome silicon alloy springs
would take out all of this conversation about 500, 250,
or 100 rounds.  

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »
How is a guy who doesn't come to this forum supposed to know that the reccomended spring change interval is 1/5 of what is in the manual that came with the gun(and the online version which says 500 in big red letters)?   And what about the new stronger mag springs...if they are the answer to so many issues with these defensive weapons....why isn't it mentioned on the website or anywhere else and why aren't they even shown in the online store??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:51:03 AM by logical »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:07 PM »
How is a guy who doesn't come to this forum supposed to know that the reccomended spring change interval is 1/5 of what is in the manual that came with the gun(and the online version which says 500 in big red letters)?   And what about the new stronger mag springs...if they are the answer to so many issues with these defensive weapons....why isn't it mentioned on the website or anywhere else and why aren't they even shown in the online store??

That is a very good question.

I quess the company isn't as Logical as we would hope.   :)
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 02:59:38 AM »
This makes me wonder about chambering a round or pulling back the slide. Am I using up the recoil spring already?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:04:09 PM »
I just checked the Rohrbaugh website, and downloaded the current Owner's Manual and Disassembly / Lube instructions.

The new recommendation for recoil springs is 100 ROUNDS!  I guess I'll be calling Maria tomorrow for a few more recoil springs and also see if the magazine followers are available.

Also, Rohrbaugh now recommend only "quality gun oil".  No more grease.  Being old-fashioned, I'll stick with a little grease on the rails and high wear areas.  (After 900 rounds, those areas are easy to see.)

Steve  

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:40 AM »
The Rohrbaugh has pretty tight tolerances, I think using gun oil is the best idea. But if using grease has worked for you, then I can't say it's a bad idea either.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:58:14 AM by PsychoSword »