Author Topic: Grip removal  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Grip removal
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
I haven't tried since cleaning my R9 for the first time and haven't tried since.

I recall the grips not wanting to come off easily. Is there a trick to it? I didn't want to force it causing damage and haven't really thought about since then.

TIA

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
Re: Grip removal
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
I was able to get the left side off but didn't get too aggressive with the right side since that's where the internals sit.

Under the left side, where I was concerned sweat had gathered and could compromise the finish was perfect. The pieces fit so perfectly that it looks as if sweat can't get in there.

Even though that side was clean I put a coating of oil just to be safe.

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
Re: Grip removal
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
That oil will really make that grip hard to get off, as flat as the two surfaces fit...... ;)

I used a very thin blade and slipped it under the grips to break the 'vacuum' between the lightly oiled frame and the grip. The R/H grip came away with the trigger pin and mag latch pin in their respective holes......no big deal, just put them back where they belonged......along with the trigger return spring and transfer bar.  ;D

Put a dab of moly on the hammer/transfer bar cam lobe and a drop of MilTec on the pins...... 8)
"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"