Author Topic: Best Pup Lube  (Read 17218 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Best Pup Lube
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
That one I haven't heard but I have restored a lot of cast iron cookware and seasoned it with Canola or vegetable oil. The Ballistol might emit an odor when heated but should work also.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:46:49 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
Dino.  The Ballistol can says EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE.  HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED.  So don't use it on the grill.  Don't want to get it on your food.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »

Pups can eat it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
Yep.  But humans can't.    :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Thanks men, vegetable oil it is.  

Don't want anything to hinder "The Great Grill Master"!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

Dino,
You might check with your point of sale; a lot of grills come pre-seasoned now.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
I was about to purchase a new grill for Critter Creek last week but then noticed a sticker which said, "Made in China." As a result, I'm refinishing the old grill (made by a former bootlegger turned welder in Cocke County, Tennessee).  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Excellent idea. Some of my most prized possessions are Wagner and Griswold cast iron cookware rescued from my grandparents' house. Some of them were so rusty they looked unsalvageable but after soaking for three days in vinegar and baking soda all the rust was gone. Then, some good oil seasoning in a hot oven really spiffied them up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:44:33 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:17 AM »
Three days soaking in vinegar and baking soda -- great tip! Thanks, Tracker. We're headed up there this weekend just as soon as "Herself" gets off the bench and I finish an appellate brief I'm writing. Looks like I'd better pick up three gallons of vinegar and three or four boxes of baking soda. I've already got the galvanized tup stored in the tool shed and two heavy duty pipe wrenches to remove (here read "break") the two bolts holding the grill to the support pole (a piece of old iron well pipe sunk in concrete).

(Just to keep this post more or less on topic, I will of course be spraying the bolts with Ballistol just to give them a chance before I break them off with the pipe wrenches and two "cheater bars."  :D )

Thanks again for the tip.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »
Excellent idea. Some of my most prized possessions are Wagner and Griswold cast iron cookware rescued from my grandparents' house. Some of them were so rusty they looked unsalvageable but after soaking for three days in vinegar and baking soda all the rust was gone. Then, some good oil seasoning in a hot oven really spiffied them up.

tracker, excellent.  I've got an old cast iron frying pan, don't remember where it came from, rusty, and didn't want to throw it away.  Will put your idea to work.  Again, excellent, and thanks.  

Now, going out and spray the John Deere's lawn mower blades, and inside the mower deck, with Ballistol.    :)  

Offline jokerdev

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »
To throw another one in there, been using Weapon Shield with no problems

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Thanks, Richard, for the attempt at bringing this thread back on topic.  The effort, however, is akin to tossing a single sand bag in front of a 10' high tidal wave...

Now I suppose the thread will move into the theater of how Ballistol might be used to improve the water defensive characteristics of sand bags...

Time for another cup of coffee...
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »
Chinook, I don't understand?  Are you brewing that cup of coffee in a cast iron pot?  If so do not put Ballistol on it as I was told it is flammable!

Tell me more about this tidal wave?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
To throw another one in there, been using Weapon Shield with no problems

joker.  Missed welcoming you to the Forum, sometime ago, so welcome.  Post often.  Good suggestion on the Weapon Shield.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

Birchwood Casey Barricade is an excellent firearms rust prevention product that also has cleaning and lubrication properties.