Author Topic: G10 grip maintenance?  (Read 11233 times)

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
G10 grip maintenance?
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
What do you use on your G10 grips to make them black again, without making them slick too?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: G10 grip maintenance?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »
????

Are the grips turning white from brake cleaner, or bore scrubber?

Just a shot in the dark ( ba da bing), but when polymer guns and some steel guns would lighten up from treatment with "SweetShooter"  the rep would work a heavy dose of hand cream in his hands and then massage it all over the gun and then wipe it down and it looked good as new.

Sounds goofy, but it worked.

Good Luck

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:35:15 PM »
Sorry, reread your post-

Slickness-   lotion may make them slick even after wiping off.

But, hell, they're slick anyway!

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Howdah460

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:27 AM »
Hi,

One other option you might try on your G10 grips to darken them again without slicking them up is what I and a number of other custom knifemakers use on the G10 handles for our knives, and that's mineral oil.

I'll apply it with an acid brush or a cotton tipped applicator, wipe it off with a clean cotton cloth and blow the textured part out with compressed air and it's good to go.

Les Halpern with Halpern Titanium, who fabricates a huge number of G10 scales every year, shared this idea with me years ago.

Hope it helps.
Jim

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
Many auto supply stores have some type of "back to black" cream in a bottle that works great on my G10 knives, R9 grips, and polymer guns.  It drys with no resdue and does not make it look shiny.

I have a bottle of it at home in my gun cleaning box and I will get the make and right name tonight and post it in the morning.  

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »
The product is, "Back to Black", by Mothers.  Really does work very nicely.  I do some mods to my polymer guns and they turn white where I file or sand.  This porduct makes the area black again.  Great on G10.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »

Mothers makes great products including 5750 California Gold Pure carnuba wax for vehicle polishing.