Author Topic: Spring replacement  (Read 16264 times)

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
Re: Spring replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Don't forget to make sure the grip screws are tight.  They do come loose.

Offline Savior_6

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 01:30:47 AM »
kwesi, a bit late on the reply, but the Pup seems to be working fine. I had a buddy of mine give it a go, but we only had about 1/2 an hour to work with at the range so he only did a few rounds for fam fire. I'm positive that the problem was solved as I notice the problem during manual cycling of the slide and have not felt the same problem since.
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
P9s
K9
P228

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
May I ask at what OAL measurement the spring sho8ld be replaced; my new / removed from pistol spring measures 1.5065 inches ?

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
I don't think this is an exact science: 200 rds. or whenever you feel you need it; for example, someone asked if they should change the spring after not firing it for two years: probably so.

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »
I'll still hold out for some dimensional numbers.  The recoil impulse will be different with regard to CBon light mass HP rounds versus 147 grain FMJ rounds.  Likely that is some of the variance/wear between changing out the main recoil spring at 100 rounds versus the previously stated 500 rounds.  The pistol is designed for serious social encounters and I would like to know the criteria for spring evaluation rather than a variable round count.

It is akin to saying that a Rolex needs service at a specified interval as well versus automatically replacing the mainspring at x-years of use.  As a leo, it would be more comfortable knowing the length criteria for change as opposed to number of rounds ... sometimes that count is easily lost.  I will measure & post my spring lengths at various intervals - but that will not take into account variations in wear due to differences in cartridge manufacture / mass of bullet / velocities. Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:16:32 PM by meflyjeep »

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
I just did a spring replacement after about 200 rounds.  I've changed the spring before but never measured it.

My old spring was approximately 1/8" shorter than any of my new ones.  My new ones are 1 19/32".

It would be interesting to measure a given spring after 50, 100, 150 and 200 rounds to see if the shortening is linear.  That would be pretty easy to do for me as I seldom shoot more than 50 rounds at a time and I always (OK, usually) clean after shooting.  But don't watch this space; I'm not very reliable these days (ask my wife...).

Regards
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Writer_Ron

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
I've been meaning to ask ... does racking the slide (which obviously compresses the spring) count as a "round"? AFAIK, compression coil springs don't wear out unless repeatedly compressed into a "solid," which must happen during an R9's recoil.

Ron

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
I don't change the spring on the number but just check the length of the spring compared to a new one. Recently, I changed one at about 150 rds. It is mildly irritating that these springs must still be changed so frequently.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:37:59 PM by tracker »

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »
At what delta-length do you change the spring?  Mine was only 1/8" less; would you have changed that one?  Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
I probably would have, although don't think it would be necessary.  I would go by the round count; now that's just me.  In your case, since I had it out, I would have changed it just because I knew it was shorter.  

A comment on Ron's question on racking the slide.  I have heard that you should count racking the slide as a round, but whose counting.  Others may disagree and that's OK.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:50:53 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ultrared

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
Does the same rule of spring replacement apply to the .380 cal. pistols?

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
no  :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
ultrared.  Welcome to the Forum.  Post often.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 11:33:53 AM »
Carter, When you start shooting and carrying the pup, the spring replacement issue will be forgotten. it's a good idea to order some extra springs. Bond should also replace his PPK for the R9s like the other agent.  Tom

This agent?   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »
I believe that's the one!    :)