Author Topic: Spring replacement  (Read 16262 times)

OCD

Spring replacement
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »
Hi all, just had my R9S Stealth delivered. The manual says to replace the recoil spring every 100 rds. I thought I read somewhere that it is now 200 or 250?? Anyone know for sure?? Thanks.

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
Re: Spring replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
I shot 100 rds of Winchester White Box 115 gr. JHP's and my new R9 didn't even belch. The spring still looks identical to the other unused one that came with the gun. I'm going to shoot another box with the used spring just to see what happens. If I get a FTF or a stovepipe I'll change the spring out.

Offline kwesi

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »
Hi all, just had my R9S Stealth delivered. The manual says to replace the recoil spring every 100 rds. I thought I read somewhere that it is now 200 or 250?? Anyone know for sure?? Thanks.

The original springs have one close and and one open end and should he changed every 100 rounds.

The new springs are closed on both ends and Rohrbaugh recommends it be changed every 200 rounds.

OCD

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 12:04:58 AM »
Mine has the closed at both ends. Thanks

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
OCD, strong hands works ;)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

OCD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:07:26 PM »
OCD, strong hands works ;)  Tom

I am not that strong but was able to use my fingers. So is 200 rounds the "offical" recomended change interval??

Offline Savior_6

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
kwesi, thanks for the explaination on the difference in springs. I did not realize that the ends could be open on one end and closed on another until I disassembled my weapon today. Unfotunately some dumbass (probably me :-[) put the spring on the wrong way and it caused some slight damage to the guide rod base. It is also most likely the reason that I had some FTFeeds when last at the range. It's more asthetic than functional, but none-the-less could have proved fatal in undesired circimstances. I have replaced it with another older style spring, but put it on the proper way this time, now knowing the difference. Again Thanks ;)
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
P9s
K9
P228

Offline kwesi

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »
kwesi, thanks for the explaination on the difference in springs. I did not realize that the ends could be open on one end and closed on another until I disassembled my weapon today. Unfotunately some dumbass (probably me :-[) put the spring on the wrong way and it caused some slight damage to the guide rod base. It is also most likely the reason that I had some FTFeeds when last at the range. It's more asthetic than functional, but none-the-less could have proved fatal in undesired circimstances. I have replaced it with another older style spring, but put it on the proper way this time, now knowing the difference. Again Thanks ;)

You are welcome. Don't be too hard on yourself though...most of us can relate in one way or another. Has it corrected the FTFeeds?

Offline Carter

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
The required recoil spring replacement is the one thing that gives me hesitation about the R9S I'm picking up next week.

I understand the basic idea, but I can't understand why there isn't way that a more robust spring can't be used.

If a spring is expected to suffer significant degradation after only 200 cycles (so much so that it needs to be replaced), then what are the statistical odds of it failing within just 10 or 20 rounds occasionally?

There's got to be a better way.

With that said, I'm very happy to make this my deep conceal CCW pistol when I need to travel "light".
I just think there has to be some simple design change that would allow a more permanent fix for something so critical to the operation of the pistol.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:17:05 AM by Carter »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 12:12:57 PM »
Your concern about springs has been the subject of some prior
discussion. Some of us thought that chromium-silicon alloy springs
might answer the question of "set" and spring life.
Apparently, Rohrbaugh looked into this and decided to go with the
springs that are currently offered, the second generation of springs.

Offline alligosh

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
The new springs are supposed to be able to go up to 500 - 700 rounds without any issues, but Rohrbaugh suggests changing every 200 as this is designed as a life saving tool and a $5 spring every 200 rounds is a small price to pay to be sure it will work 100% when needed.

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
If a spring is expected to suffer significant degradation after only 200 cycles (so much so that it needs to be replaced), then what are the statistical odds of it failing within just 10 or 20 rounds occasionally?

I just replaced my spring this week and you can see the difference comparing a new spring and one that has had 200+rds of use.  I'm sure they'll go up to 500rds or so, but then again, the early replacement recommendation is to help reduce wear and tear.  I can't see a spring failing as you mentioned above.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 01:14:15 PM »
OCD, now that you have your pup, join our little group, pull up a chair and sit close to the campfire and enjoy.  Tom

Offline Carter

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »
I just got mine last week and it came with a card that said it was produced just a week before I got it.
So on the premise that you can never have enough information, my serial number is 31xx, so I guess that defines how many have been made, being in the 3100's?

While still not delighted with the required spring replacement at each 200 rounds, I don't really have an issue with it.
The $5 for a spring is only a small fraction of what the 200 rounds of ammo for each change costs, so that's not a big deal for something that keeps the R9 in top reliable form.
And being a specialized self defense pistol and NOT a range plinker, this pistol probably won't see much more ammo through it than to insure it's reliability with that ammo.
Training?.. What training? It's an up-close and personal kind of pistol that only requires that you know where it's at and that you can get ahold of it.  ;)

I think what I'll do is to just get a dozen of the darn springs and keep them in the case. Probably won't ever have to buy them again if I go that route.

By the way, this R9S Stealth is a real sweetie! My favorite "small" carry pistol, a 1974 PPK, has now been permanently retired to the safe.

The only decison yet to make is if I want to mount a CT on the R9, although I'm leaning in the direction of not to.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:05:47 AM by Carter »

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:30:13 AM »
Carter, When you start shooting and carrying the pup, the spring replacement issue will be forgotten. it's a good idea to order some extra springs. Bond should also replace his PPK for the R9s like the other agent.  Tom