Author Topic: Thread Locker for Grip Screws  (Read 13855 times)

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
Re: Thread Locker for Grip Screws
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »
Cory, I also change my right grip often between the original grip and the covert carrier grip depending on my schedule and dress code that day. I've had bad luck and the last time had to drill out 3 of 4 screws. ???   Since, I have had one range session and no loose screws. I have been putting about 45 to 50 rounds per session thru the R9s and for a screw that small and at 1/16 hex I think I’m just gonna keep an eye on them. just my 2 cents
Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »

What's worse? loose screw or drilled screw?

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »
I think that could be debated, if you have a loose right grip screw the gun "could" malfunction but I have never had a screw loosen up in a holster and they haven’t loosened up for me so I will periodically check them. I can tell you it wasn’t any fun putting a drill to my R9s.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 07:28:44 AM »
Yep.  That's got to be a bummer, for sure.  I don't change grips, but do check for loose grip screws.  So far, never a problem.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
* * * I can tell you it wasn’t any fun putting a drill to my R9s.

I'll drink to that! Back five +/- years ago, before I decided to "run bare," as it were [no thread locker], I had to drill out one grip screw on my R9 using a small damaged-screw remover and a hand-held power drill set on slow reverse. The R9 was wearing it's original blue CFs at the time. Just before starting, I can remember uttering what I have been told is the old fighter-pilot's prayer [Tracker, correct me here if I have this wrong]: "Dear Lord, please don't let me **** this up!"

Either the Lord was listening, or I was just lucky. It worked without any damage to the CFs or the frame.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
My, it's so amazing, how people cause themselves so much problems!    ;D   I did it too, yesterday, not with grip screws, but by not using the correct ammo in the Seecamp.  I definitely knew better.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:13:04 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 12:29:08 PM »
What's worse? loose screw or drilled screw?

I think it depends on timeing for me.  If it were to be loose and the triger NOT work when I needed it to (life or death) I would think the loose screw would be MUCH worse than if I had to drill a screw one day.  After all,  I do carry my R9 just incase of that life or death possibility and I need it to work!

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »
I don't think I have ever shared "my tool" for taking grip screws a loose.  I took a high quality 1/16" L wrench and cut it off about 1.5" long.  Then I took a regular tap wrench (from a tap/die set) and clamped it in it real tight.  I left just enough of the allen wrench out to fully seat in the screw head.  Now I can push down while turning.  I would think that most stripped screws would come from the wrench slipping while turning it.  With the tap wrench that possibility is almost gone.   I have taken grips off about 25 or so times this way, breaking LocTite holds, and have never had a problem.  I hope this helps sombody.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 07:03:28 PM »
That looks like the tool to have, if you remove grips and sounds like a proven success record.  Excellent.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »

I think it depends on timeing for me.  If it were to be loose and the triger NOT work when I needed it to (life or death) I would think the loose screw would be MUCH worse than if I had to drill a screw one day.  After all,  I do carry my R9 just incase of that life or death possibility and I need it to work!

Corey:

That makes perfect sense. What we all (at least 99.9% of us around here) appear to agree upon is that the Rohrbaugh R9s and K380s are superbly manufactured firearms which have exceptionally bridged the gap between functional tools and amazing works of art. How the owner elects to carry his or her little masterpiece or otherwise maintain it is entirely secondary.

My R9 is my "24/7 gun." Because of my life style, it often fills the backup role to a more traditional primary -- 1911, P7 . . . even a DE .50 on occasion. (At my age and with what I have managed to survive during work in some of the "armpits" of this world, I now always plan ahead.)  One thing about my R9 is that it is always with me unless I am in court or some other place in which local law prevents that -- in which case it is secured in a safe, bolted in home or vehicle. Hell's bells, I even take the little "pocket rocket" into the bathroom when I shower. It is not my primary home-defense weapon at night (that one is chambered in 12-guage, as I have previously posted), but the R9 is there on the night stand.

Tracker once noted that there appeared to be a close and personal relationship between me and R9 132. He nailed it, as usual. This pistol has become not only a constant companion but also an extension of my now four-fingered right hand (a constant reminder of some past unpleasantness long ago and far away). I have developed a routine, much like a pilot preflighting his airplane. My R9 is inspected twice each day (morning and night), wiped down each night, fieldstripped and cleaned once each week whether or not it has been fired, and fired every month or so if I pass a range just to rotate the carry ammo and retain familiarity (here read, "muscle memory").  

Do I bet my life and the life of "Herself" on this little masterpiece? You betcha!  

I have owned many extaordinary and expensive firearms in my soon-to-be 74 years of life, but I rate this R9 of mine as the finest of them all.

But then, you obviously agree with that last comment, since you are closing up on or have already surpassed Brenden's record of five "pups" and counting in the kennel.   8)   

[size=10]Edit: Typos.[/size]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:34:38 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »

Confucious say, "Pup owner who run around with loose screw have screw loose."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »
I just reread that "essay" I wrote yesterday evening. I blame it on a 2009 Merlot. [Note to self: Stay away from the "young" wines.]   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
I knew it had to be something like that!   ;D

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »

I thought it was well stated and very enjoyable reading.

Offline Rich_G

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 11:06:22 AM »
Cory, thanks for posting the pic, I think I will make me one and Richard well said...      about the wine too.   I also have a routine similar to yours to ensure it goes bang when trigger is pulled.