Author Topic: Main Spring Comparison Pix  (Read 5002 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Main Spring Comparison Pix
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
Some of you may have read a couple of my previous range reports were I stated that I was using a spring with now in the 400-500 rd range on it.  I wanted to post a photo of the used spring on the left and the new spring on the right.  The new spring is the one I put back in the gun after each range outing so it has been compressed.  (I put a new spring in for carry, just to be sure)  The old one has not had a single malfunction, not even a hiccup.  Not sure if there is a different lot of springs from the period that my R9 was manufactured and those that are being sold new but as you can see, there is a difference in height.  There is all so a felt, noticeable difference in tension.  On another note, after 80 rounds, the upper right and lower left grip screws were loose.  Someone on here stated that tightening the screws should be a routine part of cleaning the weapon and from my experience, I agree completely with that assessment.  That’s why I always default to the judgment of the more senior members on here as they’ve probably seen it, done it , or heard it from a really reliable source.  Thanks All!  And keep our troops being held as prisoners in your thoughts and prayers.  We must never forget!

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Main Spring Comparison Pix
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
Great info, there, Toad, on the springs and screws.  I definitely agree on the tightening of the screws as being a part of maintenance and certainly can save alot of grief.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
If the ends are closed, then they are newer type spring. The one on the right will become shorter if you put rounds through it. The older springs had open ends.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:09:48 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »

Don't they all shorten with use?

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »
Just read a previous post about how the spring tension may be protecting the slide rails from damage and that a weak spring could cause damage.  Based on this, I think it’s time to end my curiosity about how much the spring can take before failure and just replace it on a regular basis.  Once again, the more we read the more we learn…..thanks everybody!  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:09 PM »

A good thought, Toad; it is cheap insurance, kind of like changing oil.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:19:20 AM »
A good thought, Toad; it is cheap insurance, kind of like changing oil.

Do you need to change oil. :o  ;D

Yes good idea to end the use of the old spring.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »

Do you need to change oil. :o  ;D

John

Every 3,000 miles, whether it needs it or not!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln