Author Topic: Help ID this Part ???  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Chigger

Help ID this Part ???
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/darn_gwm/IMG_0335.jpg

Thanks in advance to the crew.  Received a takedown tool and took the R9 apart for cleaning last night.  When I took the Spring Assembly and Barrel out I felt something drop on my shirt.  It looks as though all of the pieces are there and this does not appear to be a broken off piece of the recoil spring.  I checked under the right grip and see nothing out of ordinary or broken. I have put the R9 back together and seems to dry fire ok.  Anyone have any ideas as to this piece (next to a grip screw for size comparison).   One end of this part looks to have been "sheared" off.  ???

I'm taking a road trip this morning to the Dealer in Hot Springs AR to pickup some springs and will ask them as well.

Thanks,
DARREN
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:13:32 AM by darn_gwm »

Offline Chigger

Re: Help ID this Part ???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
Darren,
   You got me on that one, is this the first time taking the pup apart ?
Maybe a spare part from the factory.  ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chigger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
Took it by the dealer in Hot Springs today and they've not seen this part before either.  I'm the 2nd owner so ???  I'm thinking either I a crazy boy and this part didn't fall out of the gun (maybe from the ceiling fan or out of my head ?).  I'll make sure the gun shoots OK at the range and if so move on.

Dealer in Hot Springs suggested sending the photo to Rohrbaugh to see if they notice it.

Picked up a Bianchi Belt holster, 5 extra springs, and  box of Winchester 115 grain Silvertips while at the store today.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:13:13 PM by darn_gwm »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »

It definitely looks like an alien from outer space. I found an old R9 recoil spring in a room corner not long ago that I didn't even know I lost.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »
Took it by the dealer in Hot Springs today and they've not seen this part before either.  I'm the 2nd owner so ???  I'm thinking either I a crazy boy and this part didn't fall out of the gun (maybe from the ceiling fan or out of my head ?).  I'll make sure the gun shoots OK at the range and if so move on.

Dealer in Hot Springs suggested sending the photo to Rohrbaugh to see if they notice it.

Picked up a Bianchi Belt holster, 5 extra springs, and  box of Winchester 115 grain Silvertips while at the store today.  

Don't have a clue as to the part.  Excellent choice in ammo.  Like those Silvertips.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
Only possible thing I can think of IF it did come out of the R9 would be a broke, deformed shape sear trigger bar spring.  But since it dri-fires ok I don't think it is.   Does it look like this under the right grip pannel?

Here is a link to some detailed pics of the R9 broke down.
http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-detail-pics.htm

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:55:08 PM by ccoorreeyy »

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »
    On may 12 Rich_G posted pictures of his R9 completely disassembled. I went back into that post and and saw absolutely nothing that resembles the part that you showed us. Unless you wear braces and the piece fell out of your mouth I have no idea what it could be . ;D ;D  Personally, I think it  has to be a "foreign object". Please let us know if you figure out what it is.       Gene
birdman

Offline Chigger

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Thanks all. I'll try to get to the range and shoot it.  That should confirm or deny the problem.  I will let you know when I can.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:11 AM »
If that "part" came out of your Pup,it was a darn good thing it did!!! ;)

It didn't belong there!!!

I vote for the ceiling fan!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »
I surprised the gun functioned well with that debris in it. :o
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
As much as I would like to be the one to provide a positive identification of that broken piece of metal, I'm still stumped. In the meantime, I'm going with Brenden's "ceiling fan theory."   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
You know, since Darn is the second owner, maybe the piece is a broken off part of a  homemade takedown tool of some sort from the previous owner.

Or from the ceiling fan  of the first owner. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:54:23 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Thanks all. I'll try to get to the range and shoot it.  That should confirm or deny the problem.  I will let you know when I can.  

Well, we should know, when you get to the range, darn_gwm; sure hope everthing goes well.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln