Author Topic: Trigger spring  (Read 7513 times)

Offline LRHogFan

Trigger spring
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »
So, I ordered some new grips and am in the process of installing them.  The right side grip panel has all of the workings and the trigger spring popped out and I can't get it to stay down.  Is there a trick to this?  

Offline LRHogFan

Re: Trigger spring
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:58 PM »
Well, I managed to get it on.  It doesn't really seem too secure though.  Seems like it should hook over some thing.  I guess the grip keeps it secure.  

Oh yeah -

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »

The arrow there is where I encountered the most resistance in getting the spring to stay down.  Had to really press on it to get it down and to get it to stay.  Is this normal?

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
By the way, I stole that pic above, that is not one of my actual gun.  Sorry to whoever I stole it from, but I didn't want to take my grips off again after having such a time getting that spring to stay down.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »
It should not be necessary to remove the right grip panel very often -- unless you're one of those obsessive/compulsive types such as I tend to be. In any event, as you noted, the trigger spring depends on the grip panel to keep it in place. If that single coil on your spring has somehow become a bit too tight for the post, a very gentle use of two small needle nose pliers to open the coil only a tiny fraction could do the trick.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline darkwaterkid

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:19 PM »
My right grip screws started backing out during range excursions, so I took the opportunity to remove the grip and have a look around.  On reassembly, I had a little trouble getting the trigger spring to fully seat, same as described above.

For me, what worked well to resolve this was to hold the right side of the spring in place with my left index finger, while lightly pressing the end of a hex-key against the open end of the spring (a little above where the red arrow is pointing in the posted image).  That created enough room for the spring to slip easily over the pin and seat properly.

I was hesitant to try permanently altering the bend in the spring, because I didn't want to risk metal fatigue or simply opening it too far.  Additionally, once assembled, the spring tension around the pin helps hold the spring in place.  Seems like a good thing.

p.s. A light touch of Loc-tite blue and fresh grip screws eliminated the back-out problem.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:00:42 PM »
I swapped out the silver grip screws for black ones on a Stealth last night.  I started with the right grip first and of course the trigger spring came off during the process.  After reading this post and messing with various ways to get the spring back on the gun, I think I found a good way to do it.

The open coil shown by the red arrow in the previous picture was the hard one to get back in place.  I ended laying the trigger spring in place with one hand and using half of a wooden clothespin to pull the coil open while pushing down.  It took a few attempts, but it worked and very little chance of marring your guns finish if you should slip during the process.  I think the key is to open the coil and push it down on the post at the same time.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
Hey HogFan, how are you liking those checkered grips I want to get some and the black screws.

Any easier to hold on to?
J.W.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »
Hey HogFan, how are you liking those checkered grips I want to get some and the black screws.

Any easier to hold on to?
J.W.

I like them quite a bit.  Definitely makes holding on to the gun a little easier while at the range.  Doesn't seem to affect the pocketability of the gun.  I guess they may catch a little more lint, but they stay pretty clean overall.

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
Thanks,

So what type of Hog are you a fan of?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Sooey pig! Maybe Little Rock as a WAG.

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
Sooey pig! Maybe Little Rock as a WAG.

Tracker called it!  Ryan Mallett for Heisman!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

I like it. Where are you, Frank Broyles?

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
Yepper ;D on tracker called it
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:30:37 PM by griz »

Offline leeyn

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
 ;D ;DAfter reading this post and messing with various ways to get the spring back on the gun, I think I found a good way to do it.