Author Topic: Re-assembly is difficult  (Read 37275 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Re-assembly is difficult
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »
Hi Dave,

Some of us are cursed because of lack of mechanical ability.

There is a small group who are quick to say the light bulb will not go in, because it is not lined up right.  That is, a special tool is needed for light bulb alignment.  

If would be better for society if we remained in the background and kept our mouth shut.

Most people using RJ's StopStick, and small channel lock pliers should have minimum trouble the first timel.  

After the initial effort, I expect no future problems.

Bill

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself Bill..It's all in how you see a problem. I see the pliers as being fully up to the job, only having the undesirable effect of scaring the spring assembly,  If that is the only problem,, fix that...with the leather.   :)

I see a lot of the guys worrying about marring the gun,  like with the brass punch,  I use a steel punch,  with a little care..  Same with the Stop Stick,  the aluminum Stick is every bit as good as the brass one,  but brass cost more.

** did you see I changed the 6'' pliers to 10'' ??  The jaws are more parallel at the wide setting..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 12:57:28 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 01:10:46 PM »
RJ

Now what am I going to do with all of these 6" pliers I ran out this morning and bought?

Kidding.  For some reason I collect all different kinds of pliers.  I have several shelves of them in my Craftsman tool chest -- someone stop me please.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »
I just got my R-9S last week, and cleaned then reassembled it with just my fingers, but inserting the recoil spring assembly was nowhere near as easy as such things are with Glocks, HKs, Kahrs and Sigs.
I eventually got it, but it took minutes instead of seconds, and I believe I'll pick up a pair of 10" Channel Lock pliers at Ace today.
It's not a gun to be quickly and easily "field stripped!"
Such is the price of having as teensy a little 9mm pistol as possible, with no external protruberances, I guess.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
SB
A number of people can do the spring assembly with their fingers.  When I do mine for the first time I'm going to have the channel locks ready (RJs leather hint sounds good) although it may not be neccesary to take the the spring assemby out each time - I'll have to check Chris's FAC site to refresh my memory.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 03:19:58 PM »
Mountainman

I just thought of another idea,  ''How Build a Bird Feeder from 6'' Cchannel Locks''             ;D

I'm glad your were kiddin',  your post hit the '' Oh Crap'' button for a minute there. !!   :D :-[
RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »
RJ, I did go out and get the 6 1/2 inch, but no harm done.  Everybody should have one anyway.

My other is a 9-10 incher.

I was going to use a 2 component epoxy glue for the leather to pliers bond.  Does that sound OK?

Bill

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »
2 component epoxy glue
----------------

Should be good, although some Brands tend to be slow to dry, I used  a Contact Cement..

Sorry about that tool purchase... :-[
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 06:31:11 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 08:59:15 PM »
Bill - thick (gap-filling) CA adhesive will do well - and can be speeded by use of accelerent.

I think in the end with assembly/disassembly - nothing helps like practice.  It is for most tricky first time or three but be assured - it does over time become much easier.

It is perhaps one of the hardest guns to re-assemble but - again, learning the knack does help. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
Dave, I really like your new look!! That eagle looks very wise.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005, 02:27:17 AM »
Tom
That Eagle was a picture from my Alaska trip - I just enlarged the head.  Below is the original.
Dave

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 12:13:25 PM »
Dave you are the man a or eagle!!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »
That's incredible to have your own eagle picture.

Well done!

Bill

Offline itguy

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 09:22:39 AM »
My recommendation would be a small pair of vice grips, not channel locks.  With the vice grip you can preset the exact tolerance needed so when you snap it closed it always compresses the exact amount required - no more, no less.  Makes reinserting the spring assembly a piece of cake!

RJ, I have a question for you (or others, for that manner).  When I use the stop stick, I can line up the holes between both sides of the slide.  However, the barrel drops down interfering with getting the pin to clear it.  Do you have any recommendations on  how to keep the barrel from dropping down and blocking the hole?  Old butter fingers here had a terrible time with this :(

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 09:47:47 AM »
itguy, thanks for the excellent idea about pre-set vice grips.  I'll check it out.

We also had a major problem with the holes being covered by the dropping barrel.

I just kept raising the barrel and taking a guess what was best.

The answer for this question will make things much better.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 10:26:23 AM by Michigunner »