Author Topic: Re-assembly is difficult  (Read 37274 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Re-assembly is difficult
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
Dave:

That is a great photograph!  Is that the mast of a sailboat which the eagle is using as a perch?
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »
This ain't gonna help anyone -  but using my old faithful genuine chopstick I don't think as yet I have had barrel drop down on me when inserting pin.

This might be because the wood of the chopstick deforms very slightly and thus holds barrel - aluminum, brass, nylon etc - may just be more slippy.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 12:22:50 PM »
For what it's worth, following the 'successful' assembly  I cycled a snap cap through the pistol about 3-4 times, and declared everything was OK.

I hope that is generally considered adequate for R9 assembly confirmation.

Thanks for all the good ideas mentioned in this thread.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
Richard - yes that is a sailboat mast.  At some places eagles were a common sight around the coast at salmon areas.

Good assembly discussion.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 07:31:47 PM »
Richard

What many don't know is that it takes a long while before an eagle gets the classic look.  Here is a picture of a younger eagle I took that is adult size.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 06:56:40 PM »
Dave:

Another spendid photograph!  Thank you for posting it.

Thanks to Dolly Parton and her Eagle Mountain Sanctuary, we have a small but growing colony of bald eagles in the Great Smoky Mountains.  I saw one of them earlier this year flying just over the trees at our cabin outside Gatlinburg.  It was gone before I could retrieve my camera, but what a magnificent sight it was!

Here is a link to some information on the Sanctuary:  http://www.eagles.org/babyeaglets_5_00.html  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 11:53:33 AM »
Dave, thanks for another great picture of an eagle. They are something to behold! In the west they are somewhat common,thank God!
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »
Richard,

Thanks for the great eagle article.  We also see them at our place on Lake Huron.

Around 1975,  we twice stayed at the Sheraton Gatlinburg.  It seemed rather new then, and was up above the city on a hill top.

I remember eating at a great place downtown, where they served steaks, ribs, etc.  There was a long line, but worth the wait.

Sorry, can't remember the name.   It was "directly" below the Sheraton on the "main" street, in a cluster of buildings.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 09:08:35 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2005, 09:24:44 AM »
itguy,

Do you remember  the size of your vice grips?

Are they a special brand and style?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2005, 11:18:01 AM »
Bill:

Was it the Brass Lantern Restaurant?

http://www.thebrasslanternrestaurant.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2005, 02:30:20 PM »
Richard,

The name Brass Lantern sure sounds correct, but it was a long time ago.

I just remember walking downtown from the Sheraton up on the hill, and then making a Right turn on the main street down there.

It was a few doors down on the right.

I probably should be thinking more about exercising, and less about good restaurants.   :)

Bill

Offline rtohio

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
I find it difficult to believe that a pistol that costs so much and is of such high quality construction and design could have such a mess for assembly and disassembly. I cannot hold the slide back and engage a pin punch. I finally put a 0.125 rod in the hole and let the slide gently down on it. It lined up the pin holes exactly and I could push the pin out with ease. Surely another simple method can be designed to space it properly.
The guide rod reassembly is another disaster. A plastic tool to compress the spring and hold it while it can be reinserted would be a Godsend. Carrying a pair of 'channellock' type pliers, a hold open rod and an allen wrench seems to be an unacceptable solution. I can take apart my 1911s and Kahr with no tools.
Keep the good ideas coming,
RTOhio

Offline rtohio

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 10:45:36 PM »
I find it difficult to believe that a pistol that costs so much and is of such high quality construction and design could have such a mess for assembly and disassembly. I cannot hold the slide back and engage a pin punch. I finally put a 0.125 rod in the hole and let the slide gently down on it. It lined up the pin holes exactly and I could push the pin out with ease. Surely another simple method can be designed to space it properly.
The guide rod reassembly is another disaster. A plastic tool to compress the spring and hold it while it can be reinserted would be a Godsend. Carrying a pair of 'channellock' type pliers, a hold open rod and an allen wrench seems to be an unacceptable solution. I can take apart my 1911s and Kahr with no tools.
Keep the good ideas coming,
RTOhio

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »
rt - I have not said welcome I think :)  Welcome!!

Please take some time to browse my FAQ site (link in sig) - there are videos and a PDF which could help a bit.  The vids are of me doing ''my thing'' and the larger PDF and video version is Eric doing his - series of stills.  It'd seem you have tried ''going it alone'' thus far.

I will admit - R9 strip and particularly reassembly is ''tricky'' - but not difficult.  It also gets easier.

The very nature of the gun - no external frills like a slide stop etc do indeed make it awkward.  I think tho overall everyone here has now (if owning one) got to grips with it so it easier then originally.  I do not equate high cost to the difficulties - they are a consequence of design.

Go to these pages -

My method Vids

Video and PDF of Eric method
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 02:05:04 AM »
rtohio

RJ on the forum sells a "stop stick" in brass or aluminim to hold the slide back to remove the pin - pm him.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1119102502;start=0#0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:07:54 AM by MountainMan »