Author Topic: Magazine question  (Read 12188 times)

Offline icepick

Magazine question
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
I introduced myself at the water cooler a couple of days ago.  Shot my new Stealth this morning to mixed reviews on some failures to feed properly and such on ammo that should not have caused those, per other tests and threads.  While we should expect a hand made piece in this price range to perform flawlessly, NIB is NIB as others have observed in other threads and a break in period should be expected, but short.  This gun was built in third week of October.  I wasn't sure where to place this question, but this seemed close.

Magazine spring deformation apparently can occur in mags stored for a time when loaded and with the spring held in max compression.  Any general idea on these how long it takes for that to impact loading performance in Rohrbaugh magazines so magazines in the carry gun can be swapped out and springs 'rested' periodically?
Barrett

aka icepick

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Magazine question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »

icepick,
I don't have a scientific answer to your question but the short time you have owned your Stealth should not be affected by magazine spring deformation. Magazine spring degradation occurs more from use than non-use. This falls in the category of "can't hurt, might help" to change out the magazines and give the springs a rest. Some do this when they change their clock time twice a year; others don't worry about it with the improved metallurgy used in springs now. I heard of a 1943 Remington 1911 that was brought back, stored with the original ammo in the same magazine for 60 years and it fired flawlessly.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
Icepick,
   Glad you were able to get in some range time with the pup, but sorry to hear of the feed issues.
 I have my original spring in my mag which is about two years old and is always fully loaded
and it has always functioned flawlessly with any ammo.
 I don't know the answer to how long but would guess several years.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
Icepick.  Definitely sorry to hear of your feed problems.  I'm one that doesn't worry about the mag springs and haven't had any problems yet, going on two years in March.    
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fatboy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:56:31 PM »
Hi Icepick, welcome aboard. Although probably not the cause of your feed issues, you may want to check out this link, http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/mags.htm
Just something else to consider when troubleshooting FTF problems. Plus, it's just a really cool site with lots of good R9 info.

Rick

Offline icepick

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the several comments and suggestions.  I knew the new springs were likely not involved in the FTF - that question was really unrelated to the comments on FTF.  More an issue of them 'taking a set' after a time if left loaded, making it reasonable to empty and swap out mags. once in a while.  I figure can't hurt.
Barrett

aka icepick

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
I have to agree with Tracker.  Never have had any problems with the many, many loaded guns I keep around.

However, there is one exception.  Those POS factory Glock mag springs.  After doing a mag check after laying rest for 1-2 years, 3 different Glocks had brokern mag springs.  Boy was I pissed!  The springs were in 2 pieces or even 3. I had these guns stationed in the house for personal  defense.
They were a Glock 19, 29, and a 20.  

And furthermore, the mags were not stressed, i.e., not maxed out.  I ran them 2-3 short of full.

When I replaced the springs, you could tell the quality of steel was not "gun steel".  They looked like springs from a bed mattress.  

What a joke.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:42:03 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:45 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up on the Glock magazine springs; that was a surprise because everything else is so reliable. Did you replace them with Wolffs?

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
Bet the Glock would still work flawlessly without the mag springs  ;D  ;)

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
It looks like these +10% mag springs might be a worthwhile investment. I had replaced most of my Glock plastic guide rods with metal ones and the stock recoil springs with chrome-silicon alloy from Bryce of ISMI but I haven't touched base with him in awhile. The piano wire vis-a-vis chrome-silicon is a controversial subject.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#148
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:39:22 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Glock magazine springs; that was a surprise because everything else is so reliable. Did you replace them with Wolffs?

No, at the time, 8 yrs ago?  I did not know if Wolfe had them.  And time was an issue.  I went local.

I no longer keep Glocks for PD.  Lost all confidence.

I will replace with the "right" springs.  I am in no hurrry now, I am not a "Glock guy".  Even though I have 5 or 6, I prefer the XD.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set'

American Handgunner, May-June, 2003 John S. Layman

This a great article about springs. fyi :)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/

Spring article link
American Handgunner May-June 2003
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »
Jack,
   Good read and that has always been my belief. I fully load all my mags but shoot the ammo in them and replace it with fresh ammo at least twice a year, some more often. :D
  Thanks for the informative post.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/

Spring article link
American Handgunner May-June 2003

Jack. Thanks for the article.  I usually leave the mags of my .45 fully loaded.  Thanks again.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln