Author Topic: Lubricating during a range session?  (Read 6031 times)

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
Lubricating during a range session?
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
When I go to the range, I like to pull the R9 from my pocket and fire it.  I want to know that it will always work right out of my pocket.

I have switched to Eezox dry lube to reduce the amount of lint and dirt sticking to the lubed areas.  However, I would prefer not shooting more than a few rounds without lubricating the slide grooves.

Does anyone know if Eezox, still wet, will provide adequate lubrication?  Can I just put a few drops on the slide grooves and be confident of good lubrication?  Or if I use some other oil, will it lubricate well over top of the Eezox?

Any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Lubricating during a range session?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »
Craig,
    If the gun is cleaned, lubed and carried for a few weeks and then taken to the range, I wouldn't worry about lubing during the range session. (unless you are firing an excessive amount of ammo) The lube between the slide and frame is not going to be rubbed of while holstered and in your pocket.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
Exactly.  What John said.  I use Eezox and only use after the range session when cleaning.  Works like a charm.  Very pleased with this stuff.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
eezox is a great product .I have used it for years. Seecamp firearms turned me on to it years ago. It is what they recommended for their guns.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Eezox is the only thing I put on my Seecamp. There is only minor slide wear.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »
If you are worried about silde wear put just a VERY small amount of Wilson Combat Grease on it. I have shot hundreds of rounds through my 45 and the grease stays where you put it. I put a touch on my R9 without worring about getting it on my pants.
NRA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
I tend to lubricate my guns during extended range sessions, applying a little Ballistol to the slide/frame interface and then wiping down the piece with a silicone cloth. Everyone has his or her own favorite cleaning and lubrication product(s). I personally prefer Ballistol, with a touch of Super Lube on the internal surfaces that bear the brunt of wear.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:23:49 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
After the Eezox dries I always add a little BF CLP on all of my firearms.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
I always have my handy dandy bottle of Singer Sewing Machine oil in my shooting bag.    As I need it I use it.   Years ago when I shot service rifle, the first time I needed lube and didn't have it, an old grisled veteran of the game took me out to my truck, had me open my hood and then pulled my dip stick.   We got enough lube off of the dip stick after another second dip to keep my old M1A going.     That's a dire emergency field expediant lube method.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I just recently read where someone else went to the dipstick.

Don't remember if it was here, or in a gun mag.

Old guys syndrome- can't remember s**t.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
I just recently read where someone else went to the dipstick.

Don't remember if it was here, or in a gun mag.

Old guys syndrome- can't remember s**t.

What they tell me is that the memory is the first thing to go and I can't remember what came after that.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »

I heard memory is the second thing to go.