Author Topic: New R9S rusting?  (Read 8974 times)

Offline Bri0242

New R9S rusting?
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
I have a new R9S that is already rusting on the slide. I already talked with Maria, and she recommended cleaning off the rust. Could there be something wrong with the steel? I honestly expect more from a $1000 pistol.... Should I send it back? I carry it a few hours a day, & I keep it in a dry place at night. It's wiped down with gun oil every few weeks.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: New R9S rusting?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:30 PM »
The slide is stainless steel. It should not rust. What cleaner and lubrication have you used?

I have heard of stainless steel staining and it resembles rust depending on the chemicals you have used on it.

If it's not the chemicals that have stained the metal, I would send it back to have it evaluated.

Offline Bri0242

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
Breakfree CLP. This is a new spot that i just noticed. It looks like rust under magnification.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
This would be the first I am hearing of an R9 rusting.

I am sure Rohrbaugh will get it rectified.

Offline Bri0242

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
I hope so. I absolutely love the pistol.

Offline Lchavezmisc

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
I have had stainless steel rust on more than one pistol when conceal carried. The first was a Kimber and the second was a Sig. The rust showed up within the first full day of conceal carry. I am diligent with cleaning and protecting, so I was shocked to see on both occasions.

I have read that even SS will rust and as stated above, have seen it happen.

The strange thing is that it has never happened on any of my blued guns.

I am one of those lucky ones with extra corrosive sweat.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »
You may want to get some Renaissance wax and use that on the gun, it's great stuff.
  Just because it's Stainless Steel does not mean it can't rust, it depends on the composition of the stainless, there are also magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steels.
  I have heard of people with very acidic systems that will cause such issues.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lchavezmisc

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
Renaissance looks interesting. Will have to give it a try.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »
You may want to get some Renaissance wax and use that on the gun, it's great stuff.
  Just because it's Stainless Steel does not mean it can't rust, it depends on the composition of the stainless, there are also magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steels.
  I have heard of people with very acidic systems that will cause such issues.

I second Yankee's word's here.

Any metal can rust/oxidize, given the right conditions, even stainless steel - it just stains- less.

My gunsmith of all people must immediately wipe down all guns that he handles or they will start to show signs of rust really fast, regardless of finish.  He just has a high acidic ph in his body oils.

Renaissnace wax is good as well as Ezoxx, which you can get in a spray, it leaves a protective wax base behind.
Also Boeshield T-9, it leaves a wax base behind as well - and you can get that at Sears in the tool dept.

Please let us know of any developments.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
This would be a good candidate for the Robar NP3 finish? :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »
Thats a great point!

and also maybe a great excuse as well. :D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
But after rereading the OP, that may not be something someone wants to hear after spending One Large on a "pocket pistol".

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Stainless Steel is rust resistant not rust free.  It will rust or oxidize and will do so a lot easier than many people think.  Over the years of servicing LE sidearms since stainless came into wide use by S&W,  I have seen and even owned weapons that had rust starting to appear inside the actions of same.  Usually they don't rust as easily as the various alloys and tool steel weapons that I have had.   When I lived in Florida, my airweight M37 S&W had to be wiped down each time it was touched or it would have rust spots on it by the end of the day.    It depends on both the acid levels in your skin oils and the climate you live in.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Bri0242

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »
I sent the pistol back to Rohrbaugh, and they returned it to me 2 days later. They replaced the slide for free. Great customer service.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 12:59:23 AM »
Glad to hear they took care of the problem so quickly. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson