Author Topic: Recoil Assembly Catching  (Read 3449 times)

Offline ridget

Recoil Assembly Catching
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
I took my new pup to the range today.  Spectacular!

Breaking down for cleaning is a snap but upon reassembly, the recoil assembly rod foot (large end) seemed to catch where the barrel converts from square to round - or so it seems. When I positioned the slide to accept the pin, the recoil assembly rod extended about 3/4" from the end of the muzzel of the R9. I disassebled twice to correct.  On the third try, I decided to rack the slide and it must have slipped off.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this quirkiness?  I recognize a quality firearm will have very tight tolerences.  I significantly compressed the large spring three times so I feel I should replace it after 100 rounds as opposed the the suggested 200  rounds.

Thank you for any thoughts or input.

Ridge

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Recoil Assembly Catching
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
Ridge.  Never had that to happen.  You may have seen this video, however, if not, look at it closely.  Be sure to center the recoil assembly rod foot, as you can see the guy in the video making sure it's just right.  This is key.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAdj-WEBig
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lchavezmisc

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
I have had the same issue.  No matter how well i line it up, it gets stuck.  I just use the cut end of the q-tip (that I used to remove the pin) to push it in to place through the pin hole.  

The q-trip trick was recommended on this forum.  I don't recall the thread, but thank you for the idea.  It fits perfect, and does not scratch the finish.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »

Review the above youtube starting at frame #100. The guide rod disc must be perfectly postioned with the barrel lug for the proper reassembly of the slide. Initially, I didn't pay close attention to the proper alignment and it caused similar problems. As kj said, that is the key.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
I doubt if you compressed the spring anymore than firing the gun does, but if it makes you comfortable replacing it at 100 rds. by all means do so. Just out of curiosity how and why did you compress the spring so much ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:10:32 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson