Author Topic: Eezox gumming  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Robar233

• Master
Eezox gumming
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
I had a problem with Eezox gumming up on a pocket knife I carry all the time.
I started using Eezox after buying my Rohrbaugh. Has anyone else had this problem or does it sound like I did something wrong with the application?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Eezox gumming
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
Was your application with the spray or can ?

I found the spray can be a bit generous.  And being waxed based, that can be part of your problem.

You may want to apply with a saturated q-tip and leave the the knife open, on it's belly, i.e. sharp side of blade down, so any run off does not accumulate in the action while it dries.

That's what I would try.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
Robar223:
I think Reinz is right.  I have been using EEZOX for almost 20 years.  The manufacturer recommends putting the stuff on, letting it dry for a few hours, and then wiping off any residue.  
Usually, I apply it with a q-tip or corner of a patch.
I've found that actually buffing the metal is the best way to make sure there's nothing to gum up the works.

EEZOX does tend to thicken - actually the lighter constituents evaporate.  Over the years EEZOX has discontinued certain packaging that lets the light ends evaporate.  I use that "thickened" stuff as a preservative on chisels, reloading dies I'm not currently using, etc., but not on my guns.

One last thing: I was using EEZOX very generously on my H&K USP.  I'd clean the gun with it, then spray the slide, shake off the excess, lightly wipe it down, and put the gun away.  After a couple of years, the firing pin got stuck.  The range / gun shop where I was shooting sent the gun back to H&K for me.  It came back a couple of weeks later with a note, "Tell the customer not to use grease on this firearm - especially in the firing pin tunnel."
I learned a lot about cleaning and lubricating guns from that.  More ain't necessarily better.

Steve

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
Good info Steve

I did not realize that you needed to  wait a few hours to let it dry.  I just thought I was putting it on too heavy, and an hour later it is still wet, so I gently wipe off excess.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:39:01 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:17:44 PM »
Steve.  You always have great information.  Many thanks.  I've been using Eezox for awhile now and it works fine.  I do use sparingly, so have not experienced the gumming affect.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:18:36 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
All,

Thanks for the great advice. I did use the liquid from the can that looks like lighter fluid. I did NOT let it dry or wipe any off. I will strip it off with another solvent then re-apply as directed.
 I have to say that this forum has not only been very informative it has been helpful too.
 Sincerely,
 Robar233

Offline parkgt

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:27 PM »
It is a solvent, it will cut itself.  Just put more on and wipe it down.

I have used it to get many gummy residues off of metal over the years.

Great stuff, I buy it by the quart and then put it in a small pressurized spray can for big projects and have needle oilier for firearms.  

I have not had any problems with it.  All my guns have it applied to all surfaces, the inside of barrels get it after cleaning.  It will clean just about anything off a gun except lead and copper fouling.