Author Topic: Lapping the bore  (Read 12492 times)

Joe_from_NY

Re: Lapping the bore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »

I could be mistaken, but I believe that they are just lurkers.

thats funny, since Brother Eric is extremely active as ECR  on
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/v-memberpanel/a-view/u-54/

with over 3700 posts.  He makes good interesting posts there.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:37:13 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
Oh, no, I would love to see the pics!

I was just saying earlier, that the Brothers would consider it a headache, that is if people started calling in thinking they all had barrel issues all of a sudden.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »

thats funny, since Brother Eric is extremely active as ECR  on
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/v-memberpanel/a-view/u-54/

with over 3700 posts.  He makes good interesting posts there.

Now that is interesting.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
does anyone know the user names that the brothers use on this forum?

I don't think they have user names on the Forum.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
POST THE DANG PICTURES.  IF THE BROTHERS DON'T LIKE IT, THEY CAN QUIT SELLING THE PISTOLS.  I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OTHER FORUM THAT WORRIES ABOUT THE MANUFACTURERS FEELINGS IF THERE ARE ISSUES WITH THE PRODUCT.  

My pup is in the 3200 range.  Barrel looks OK without bore scope.  At 7 to 10 yards it holds 3-4" on bullseye freehand one or two hand presentation, so I have no gripes at this time.  John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
POST THE DANG PICTURES.  IF THE BROTHERS DON'T LIKE IT, THEY CAN QUIT SELLING THE PISTOLS.  I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OTHER FORUM THAT WORRIES ABOUT THE MANUFACTURERS FEELINGS IF THERE ARE ISSUES WITH THE PRODUCT.  

My pup is in the 3200 range.  Barrel looks OK without bore scope.  At 7 to 10 yards it holds 3-4" on bullseye freehand one or two hand presentation, so I have no gripes at this time.  John

Don't concern yourself with the brothers.  They want to know of any issues that are out there.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 08:23:56 PM »

They already know about this one but it is a concern to multiple forum members.

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
I'd like to see some bore pictures.  My bore isn't polished to perfection, it does look a little rough, but my R9 can shoot 2" 5 shot groups at 15 meters, if I do my part, of course.  I've posted a 1.75", 15 meter 5 round group picture here on the forum (my best to date with the R9).

Obviously these are slow fire groups, but my R9 seems to be a tack driver.  I'm stunned with the accuracy potential of this pistol.  Maybe I got the gem?

Is there an accuracy concern with the rough bore, or is this just a cosmetic issue?
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »
OK, I have to agree, that is a butt-ugly bore.  Thanks for the pix.  Mine is similar but not quite so rough.

The rough bore doesn't seem to affect the accuracy.  So, at least for my R9, it's just a cosmetic issue.  But it sure is some ugly machining on an otherwise gorgeous pistol.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
I suppose there would be the occasional bad guy who objects to being center-punched with a grungy-looking bore.  :o

Seriously, the rough finish of the lands does make cleaning a pain but the R9 shoots pretty darn good for such a little squirmy gun.
Midway gets to sell me lots of patches and bronze brushes.

Incidentally, I found that my particular gun with my particular style of hold requires a six o'clock hold.  I'd been holding center of mass and was pretty inconsistent from session to session.  Now I'm getting good, tight little groups at 7 and 10 yards.  (Sometimes....)

S.

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
For paper punching I find a 6 o'clock hold works most consistently for me, also.  It's simpler to align the same way for each shot.

As far as cleaning, a couple of minutes of solvent and a couple of run throughs with a bore snake are plenty clean enough to hold 2" slowfire groups at 15 meters.  I clean after every shooting session, however.

I see little, if any, copper buildup at these velocities and the low round counts these pistols see.  But if you like scrubbing, by all means, enjoy.  :)

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
"Lapping a bore is the final stage used by barrel makers who use the hook cutter method, i.e. Obermeyer, Chanlyn, Koozer and others, to give a final polish to the bore to remove any roughness or tool marks prior to sending a blank out. "

BUT, however, wait a minute, that's not the whole story.

That blank you're talking about gets the ends trimmed when it's chambered and crowned. If you go lapping a finished barrel you could ruin it.

Read the Lilja FAQ called "Why is there a saw cut near the muzzle end of your rifle barrels?"

www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifle_barrels.htm#hand

Because lapping wears the ends of the barrel more than the center section.