Author Topic: R9 slide stuck in open posission  (Read 11173 times)

Offline l_elieze

R9 slide stuck in open posission
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
I took my new R9 Stealth out to the range yesterday for the first time and after 30 rounds the slide got stuck in the open position. There is no round or casing in the gun.  How can I break this down. The gun was extremely accurate but as you can imagine I am very disappointed. Can anyone advise on how to break it down before I call the Manufactured. Thank you.  I will try to post picture

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: R9 slide stuck in open posission
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
 l_elieze:

First of all, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of the R9.

The problem you describe could be due to some break-in "dreck" (an aluminum shard, a piece of brass, or grit) becoming lodged between the slide and frame of the pistol. I don't know how well the pistol was lubricated before the first range session, but if it were dry that could have contributed to the problem. Also, if the 30 rounds were fired in rapid succession, the new pistol may have become overheated due to its minimal tolerances.

I would try lubricating the piece liberally with a penetrating gun oil, letting it sit for a few minutes, and then gently trying to free the slide. You might want to use leather gloves or a flexible rubber friction pad (the kind used to help open Mason jars), since the gun will be slick with oil. Just don't use too much force. Patience and an easy touch should do the job.

Good luck, and let us know how the problem is resolved.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
l_elieze first welcome to the group as I don't believe I have welcomed you before.

Sorry to hear about the issue with the pup and will second Richards suggestions and add that in its current state there is no way to break the gun down until the slide is returned to battery.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
I, too, agree with Richard's suggestions.  Except the "gently" part.  If there is some debris holding the slide open, you are going to need to muscle the slide pretty vigorously.  (I personally have had slivers of brass and aluminum jam my R9s when it was young.  There have been a few threads on similar issues.)

Try this:  After letting solvent/lube soak in, grab the slide with your support hand (the flexible rubber friction pad is a great help) and pull back on the slide as hard as you can while shoving the rest of the gun forward as hard as you can with your strong hand.  Try that several times.
That second or third attempt should get your adrenalin assist mechanism to kick in.   :o
If your pup is still locked up, try rapping the slide forward with the heel of your hand.  NOTICE - I've not recommended hitting anything with a hammer!

After pushing and pulling with all your might, if the slide is still stuck, you're probably going to place a call to Rohrbaugh and arrange to return it to the mother-ship for attention.

Good luck,
Steve

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
 A tap or two with a rubber mallet might work if all else fails.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
Hold it upside down and do the above recommendations.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
l_elieze.  Welcome to the Forum and sorry to hear of your problem.  All the above are good suggestions and hope one of them work.  I had a similar problem, but fortunately had about 1/8" of an inch that I could still pull back; pulled back the rest of the way several times and used it as a sling shot motion and after a few of those, the slide released.  If yours is froze back solid with no room left to pull back, of course, this would not work.  Hope you get the problem resolved, and  soon.  Would like to know how it turns out.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:55:39 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline l_elieze

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
I will be sending it back to the manufacture. I tried lubing it and working the slide vigorously with no luck. I had hope it was forward enough for the disassembly pin be puch out but no luck. Thanks for the suggestions   

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »
I will be sending it back to the manufacture. I tried lubing it and working the slide vigorously with no luck. I had hope it was forward enough for the disassembly pin be puch out but no luck. Thanks for the suggestions

Sorry to hear that, l_elieze, however, Rohrbaugh will take care of the problem.  I feel your pain, not with a Rohrbaugh, but with a Seecamp .380; had the hammer to lock back; the strut pin had failed.  Seecamp, too, took care of the problem and it came back like new. 

You'll be pleased when you get it back, so don't be discouraged.     
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
Sorry it wasn't an easy fix, keep us posted on the outcome.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline l_elieze

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
Got my R9 back today. Got no explanation as to why slide was stuck but got it back rather quick. Now range time. Thanks everyone for your post.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
Certainly glad to hear the R9 is back, l_elieze.    :)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »
That is an excellent turn around time, maybe a call to Maria is in order to see what the problem was, Inquiring minds want to know. ;D
Look forward to the range report.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »

In my experience explanations are not included in the warranty. They will probably answer if asked, however.

Offline l_elieze

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
I went to the range yesterday and fired the pup with no issues.  I also did some one hand hip shooting and there were no issues.  I am very happy with the gun.  Note: I shot Speer Gold Dots 115 grains.