Author Topic: Mag problem - can’t pull it out - options?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline espy2022

Mag problem - can’t pull it out - options?
« on: May 17, 2022, 02:20:51 AM »
Hi All,

I bought 2 magazines from a forum member a month ago and just got around to trying them out.  I lost one of my factory mags, so I was delighted to obtain two in the mail.

Upon observation, one of the mags had the same what I’ll call “smooth” backstrap as the OEM mag I had.  The other had what appeared to be a welded backstrap similar to older Sig “zipper” back magazines if that makes sense to anyone.

Stupid me decided to insert the “welded” backstrap mag first, and while it was a kind of difficult fit, I decided to ram it up in the mag well and… its now stuck in there.   I managed to get the bottom of the mag off so as to try and use pliers to pull the mag out of the mag well, but its darn well stuck in there.   I took the grip screws out and now those parts are loose as well. 

I now have a fully assembled upper (I didn’t bother to take that down) with the grips off and the parts loose in a bag.  The mag is still stuck in the mag well. 

I’m guessing (due to my lack of gunsmithing skills) I should mail it off for repair.  Honestly, I’d like to have it worked over anyways given its 10+ years old and I carry it regularly but shoot it once annually.   

Is there a good smith to send it to?  I feel somewhat embarrassed to post this but I know I’ll get the best advice from fellow pup owners.   Thanks all!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Mag problem - can’t pull it out - options?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 09:13:06 AM »
Eric Rohrbaugh often visits this site…you may wish to wait for his advice. 
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JMB109

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 11:02:23 PM »
https://williamsgunsight.com/gunsmithing/ When I talk to them a couple months ago, they said they are still accepting Rohrbaughs for repair. Maybe give them a call and see if they can help. As already stated Eric Rohrbaugh is on the forum often, I’m sure he’ll offer some insight.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »
Ah ha. . . . . . . Hold on now espy2022.

I'll email you through our PM system here with my phone number. Please give me a buzz when you can.

I'm free for the rest of the day. I can help you with this easily, so don't fret.

Look forward to speaking with you. This is certainly something you can do at home!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline espy2022

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 11:47:18 PM »
So an update on this, I finally managed to get that booger of a magazine out, and some lovely new scuffs on the mag well during the process.  Luckily its a tool, not a collectors item, and I’ve carried it front pocket style since I purchased it new about 12 years ago. 

Thanks for posting Eric - Wish I had seen this and called first.  My issue now is trying to put things all back together.  I got the spring and pin back in for the mag release, so next up was putting the trigger, trigger bar, and trigger bar spring back in.  The little “figure 8” part of the trigger bar spring for the life of me will not seat what I’ll call “deep enough” to keep from popping off every time I finally get that stuff all connected.  I thought I had it, put the grips back on, then one trigger pull and “POP” it came off again.   Dang!

I’ve probably put 300 rounds through it since I bought it from my brother, who maybe put 50 total.  I’m thinking since Williams is still servicing these, I may as well send it in for a tune-up and have all of the springs (pending parts) replaced before it goes into service again.   

Thoughts on that?  Thanks all - appreciate the replies!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 09:30:13 PM »
By all means, please send it to Williams for them to do their magic for you. I can no longer legally repair firearms as my license is no longer in effect. A little trick to keep that spring in place:  Set the spring in place on the two pins and then take a center punch with a sharp point and tap the top of the pin over the spring, mushrooming the aluminum pin over and that will hold things in place. Archaic but it always worked.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.