Author Topic: Issues at the range today  (Read 3238 times)

Offline JMB109

Issues at the range today
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:40:16 PM »
I took my recently acquired Rohrbaugh R9 Covert to the range today. I fired 3 magazines total, 2 magazines of Speer Gold Dot 124gr. with no issues. I fired a magazine of Federal HST 147gr. and had a FTF on the second round.

After firing all three magazines, I was unable to pull the slide back. I noticed that the guide rod must have disassembled when firing the last magazine. I looked around for the guide rod on the range, but no luck finding it.

When I disassembled the Covert, I observed that guide rod assembly was broken and the smaller guide rod spring was bent. I probably fired the Covert inadvertently not knowing the guide rod was broken and damaged the rest of the guide rod assembly and smaller spring. I was lucky enough to have an extra guide rod assembly on hand to get the Covert back to working order.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Issues at the range today
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
I had a Covert that gave me nothing but problems.  It broke the slide pin twice, eventually damaging the rail too badly to be repaired.  I now have a Special Forces that has had the lock wheel nut come off the recoil spring/guide rod assembly and the guide rod apparently went downrange.  I now have a new assembly in place and hope to shoot it soon.  The Special Forces being all black means I will need to have the new guide rod sent out to be blackened, but no big deal.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 07:17:15 PM »
For those of you that may remember how the COVERT came to being and to those who do not know the story.

A retail FFL down south would order ten to twenty standard R9 pistols. He would then send them to Wilson Combat to be gone over and redone by them. We had nothing to do with that model and saw nothing in return financially for them. We even had to repair them at no charge for firearms that were "redone" by them. They seemed to have done a nice job on them, but that's like taking a new car, hot-rodding it and if something breaks, they expect the original factory to warranty it! That's not how things are done folks. Once someone alters a stock item, it is no longer covered by the factory warranty. The dealer originally paid for the repairs, but eventually. . . . . it was all thrown on us. Being it was initially our firearm, we just gave up on trying to have the FFL pay for the repairs and we redid every COVERT that came into our shop so it would function like an R9. That was just the right thing to do, even though it wasn't our work anymore that caused the malfunctions. Oh well. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make things right, even if it was not your fault. It is good business practice to do so.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »
I should have mentioned that Eric and would add that when my covert had an issue, Eric took it back and fixed it at no cost to me….I miss that kind of customer service and implied warranty!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 10:16:32 PM »
Thank you backup for saying that for the members. We always did what we thought was the best for our clients, regardless of the behind-the-scenes dramas going on. I like to think we fulfilled that task while we were doing business.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.